Author Topic: Jericho.....  (Read 3786 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Jericho.....
« on: September 26, 2006, 05:12:31 AM »
....Anyone else get to watch it?
I liked it.  Interesting and different as far as TV shows go.  Some hokie *expletive deleted*it (like the tracheotomy), but isn't there always on TV?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 05:24:34 AM »
I'm undecided as of yet.  I'll give it another shot or two before I make my final decision.  

Chris

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Jericho.....
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 06:09:53 AM »
Same here.

At least they're trying something "different" in terms of the premise.

However that dosen't mean that the plot details, acting, and direction won't kill it in it's crib.

But I'll watch for now.

Next show is when the fallout comes. I predict they'll hide in the mine that the mayor ordered the mine manager clear at the beginning of the crisis. (Insert actual KS residents screaming that there's only strip-mining in their state here&)

I think a great ending to the series would be when they're at their wits end, almost out of food, and half the townspeople dead of disease, accidents, and prison escapees etc. a convoy of military and FEMA trucks rolls up, looks around, and says, "You guys are in the best shape we've seen so far! We're going to send 10,000 refugees your way in the next few days. Get ready. Bye!" and rolls off&.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 06:15:36 AM »
So far, it's so-so . . . there's the potential for it to get preachy and politically correct; hopefully with Gerald McRaney as one of the main characters, it will stay on course and not devolve into a poltically correct soap opera where the people act stupidly.

If they say they nukes were set off by the Aryan Brotherhood of Blond Blue-Eyed Christian Fundamentalists - I'm gone. (They did something of the sort - changing the villains to politically acceptable neo-Nazis - when they turned Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears into a movie.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Jericho.....
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 06:42:34 AM »
Quote from: HankB
If they say they nukes were set off by the Aryan Brotherhood of Blond Blue-Eyed Christian Fundamentalists - I'm gone. (They did something of the sort - changing the villains to politically acceptable neo-Nazis - when they turned Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears into a movie.)
I agree that the substitution of neo-Nazis in "The Sum of All Fears" was absolutely lame, and I've yet to watch that movie. I probably never will. If it's ever "free" on cable, I'll watch the nuke going off to see the SFX, and then change the channel.

In Jericho, the intentionaly vauge radio news reports and the joint session of congress that were heard and shown before the attack implies that it's "international terrorisim", most likely Islamic, or Middle Eastern of some sort, perhaps with the backing of a sponsor nation.

However, I get the impression tht for now, if not forever, who is responsible for the nuclear attack is moot, and that by keeping the audience in the dark as to the "whys" and "hows", we're all focused on the town's survival. And that way, we'll better empathize with how cut off they feel.

In a way, Jericho is trying to be the antithesis of the traditional "disaster movie" where you get an omnipitent view of the action, alternately following the terrorists, "ground level" survivors, the President, rescue workers etc., getting the "big picture".

The closest example I can think of is the movie "Testament", where the action focuses on a small far-flung suburb of San Fransisco that's pretty much in the same boat as Jericho.  "The Day After" kept the action around Kansas City, but even then they jumped around the area a lot, and spoon-fed the audience clips stock footage of the US military going on alert, TV news about the "Crisis in Europe" etc.

So that's where Jericho, at least in premise, is "unique". The audience is given little info the rest of the characters don't have. So far the only things I can think of is that the Sheriff is dead at the hands of a convict from the prison bus, and what the mayor's son's been up to for the past few years& Otherwise we'll find out what's going on as the townspeople discover it. In that regard it's "realistic".
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 07:10:37 AM »
. . . what the mayor's son's been up to for the past few years . . .
From what the son said & did in the first episode, it seems he's been playing minor league baseball for both the Army and Navy, and learned to do some basic emergency surgery somewhere along the way.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 07:10:43 AM »
It could be interesting, if it doesn't fall into a morass of interpersonal drama BS.  It also has big potential for statist "trust the goverment, they'll save us" drivel.  

Time will tell.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 07:26:24 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
I'm undecided as of yet.  I'll give it another shot or two before I make my final decision.  

Chris
Wouldn't be the first time I like a show out of the gates and lose interest as it wanders off into la-la land.  Lost is a prime example.  These macro-series they're starting now have alot of potential, but I just think they try to get too many seasons out of them.  Lost should be over by now, but instead it just plods along.  Unlike shows like Friends or Sienfield, there is some kind of outcome in the future you can see, but you never know when it'll happen.  The castaways on Gilligans Isle had to get rescued at some point....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

InfidelSerf

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 11:19:27 AM »
(Insert actual KS residents screaming that there's only strip-mining in their state here&)
He did say it was a salt mine.   In Hutchinson,KS there is a large saltmine that is now an underground storage facility.  In fact most of the greatest hollywood reels are stored there.

Based on the sign in the first episode it would put this fictional town around 100mile radius from Wichita.

My main gripe so far has been the blond ex girlfriend of the mayor's son.  When the two Jericho sheriff deputies pulled up to her on the side of the road.  She would have instantly known those two were not deputies.  A town with a polulation of 5K.. might have a dozen deputies. She would know them all by name if not at least their faces.  Besides she's from Jericho and two Jericho deputies ask her where the nearest gas stations are???  She should have played along but at least made it look like she knew something was up that instant.

But so far it looks interesting.
I was glad to see my local cable company had the episodes on their on demand service.  Since I missed the first one.

*edit* !warning potencial spoiler!...

when she takes the six shooter to the bathroom, and then crawls out of the house to call for help. BIG mistake.  
She had 3 rounds.. she should have loaded it.. and then walked back downstairs and plugged them both catching them off guard at the table. She would have eliminated the threat and had plenty of time to call for help.  Oh well monday morning quarterbacking hollywierd is kind of pointless anymore :p
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Moondoggie

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 12:26:54 PM »
Yeah, my wife and I talked about the blond not knowing the cons in deputies' uniforms were bogus.

We live in a town of 4,600 maybe 300 miles from "Jericho".

Our county of 9,600 has 4 deputies in addition to the Sheriff.

No way somebody who'd lived there all of their life wouldn't know who was who.

We also picked up on them asking where there was gas....Duh!

BTW, our town also only has one grocery store, and we're the biggest town for 50 miles in any direction.

I like the show a lot.  There's a lot of gaffe's that better writing could fix, but overall it's a fun ride.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
Jericho.....
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 06:44:52 AM »
Quote from: veloce851
when she takes the six shooter to the bathroom, and then crawls out of the house to call for help. BIG mistake.  
She had 3 rounds.. she should have loaded it.. and then walked back downstairs and plugged them both catching them off guard at the table. She would have eliminated the threat and had plenty of time to call for help.  Oh well monday morning quarterbacking hollywierd is kind of pointless anymore :p
Dude, we have know idea of the characters background.  Frankly I'd be suprised if a novice shooter could a) even load a single action revolver b)  index the cylinder so that the hammer fell on the first of the 3 rounds and c) hit a trained opponent on the first shot under pressure.  

Sure if she was a SASS veteran, go downstairs and plug them, but I'm super suprised they let a female non-police officer successfully shoot and kill an opponent.  

I'm digging the show.

atek3

jeff-10

Jericho.....
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 04:41:15 PM »
For some reason I can't quote other posts on APS like I can on THR. Anyways I am thinking that the nukes maybe a coup attempt. In Hollywood's current state they will do anything for ratings. That means the most politically correct or unpolitically correct plot they can think of. Could be an attack by Islamic Terrorists or China but for some reason I am leaning towards a coup/homegrown terrorist attempt to take over the country. Also I read somewhere they will be introducing survivalists and militia type gangs in future episodes so there should be more gunplay coming.

I don't believe Jake is a minor-league baseball player. More than likely he is a former Marine, Ranger or SEAL. Not as knowledgable or experienced as Hawkins but still pretty good. He killed that felon in the 2nd episode without flinching, that leads me to believe he has combat training. Hawkins is some kind of ex-spook, possibly turned survivalist when he had some info about the nukes. That IRS agent is hot, she needs more face time. Those are just my thoughts on the show. So far I really like it and its basically the only syndicated TV show I have followed in ages.

The mods should merge the 2 Jericho posts.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Jericho.....
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 05:42:37 PM »
The governmental coup is one of the ideas rattling around in my head too.

Staging the attack so the-powers-that-be can consolidate control and secure America from the "real threats that are out there".

If that's the direction this is going, they'll lose me as a viewer in a femtosecond...

I'm hoping he's part of a well heeled survivalist group, or ex-gov's who believed the attack was coming, but weren't believed, so they quit to seek safety for thier families etc.
I promise not to duck.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 05:53:42 PM »
I don't get Hawkins.  He obviously had forewarning of the nukes, yet he didn't flee to some remote foreign land.  The only reason I can suggest is that he has some future task to perform, else he wouldn't be staying.

BakerMikeRomeo

Jericho.....
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 12:20:34 AM »
Quote from: jeff-10
For some reason I can't quote other posts on APS like I can on THR.
Jeff, on APS there is a little "quote" link in the bottom right hand corner of your post. That's how I quoted you, and then I deleted the rest of your post to which my reply wasn't relevant.

You can also just copy whatever you want to quote, and in your post type {quote=guy}QUOTE TEXT{/quote} where guy is the person to whom you are responding, QUOTE TEXT is the copied post, and the squirrely brackets are square ones.

e.g., here's what I typed to quote your message:

{quote=jeff-10}For some reason I can't quote other posts on APS like I can on THR.{/quote}

Only with square brackets.

Sorry if you knew any of that already, and just didn't know about the quote button, I was just trying to be thorough. Cheesy

~GnSx

jeff-10

Jericho.....
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 06:24:24 PM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
I don't get Hawkins.  He obviously had forewarning of the nukes, yet he didn't flee to some remote foreign land.  The only reason I can suggest is that he has some future task to perform, else he wouldn't be staying.
I would imagine that if the US took a bunch of hits from some Nukes it would probably dish a lot out. The world could be very messy in Jericho. I would also imagine the world economy would completely crumble and there wouldn't be many places out there that would want to take in refugees.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 07:42:56 PM »
Which would explain the 50 gallon drums in the truck he went to move during the fallout.  He got hazmat suited up and moved it.
Also, he asked his kid "who will take care of you forever" and the kid answered "mommy"....damn weird.
JD

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 04:29:21 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
Which would explain the 50 gallon drums in the truck he went to move during the fallout.  He got hazmat suited up and moved it.
Also, he asked his kid "who will take care of you forever" and the kid answered "mommy"....damn weird.
I guess I would expect someone who knew nukes were about to fall on the US would jump on the next flight to Bangkok or Bolivia or somwehere.  That's certainly what I would do.  Ain't no 50 gallon drum full of supplies big enough to convince me to stick around and tough it out in the aftermath.

Sure, the world economy may tank, but the economy sure as heck isn't gonna be any better in the remaining small towns of America.  A basic living wage is pretty cheap in India or Hong Kong or Brazil, and I figure there's gotta be demand for an educated English speaking worker who isn't too greedy.

HankB

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 05:56:49 AM »
Well, last night's episode had Homeland Security using a "reverse 911" system to call everyone in Jericho and let them know help was on the way. Power went back on, too.

Hawkins was spotted with a backyard satellite dish by the Mayor's wayward son . . .

TV came back with a "stay tuned" announcement, which at the end of the episode shifted to a view of an empty podium that was interrupted when we launched ICBMs at somebody (seems there were silos not far from Jericho) . . . so apparently some part of the U.S. Government is still functioning, and a decision was made to hit back - hard - at whoever nuked the USA.

Still waiting for news about what's actually going on . . .

mtnbkr

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 06:07:33 AM »
Did anyone notice the IP address typed into the web browswer by Hawkins' daughter?  

Who wants to point out what was wrong with the IP? Smiley

Chris

doczinn

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 06:25:34 AM »
I didn't notice the IP address, but there's no way the ground would rumble like that, that far away from the launch.
D. R. ZINN

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Jericho.....
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 06:53:17 AM »
I noticed the IP that Hawkin's daughter tried, it started with *28& or something similar.

The IP version of 555-5555? LOL& "*" will only work well with a subnet mask. Web browser URL's or IP's don't work too well with wildcards, especialy in the FIRST octet...

I'm still watching, but they're not doing much to win me over. It's more just following through on invested time. I also noticed that after Hawkins logged through the "FEMA block" or whatever BS on the internet that was supposed to be, he first got the Presdential seal, then had a pop-up site that appeared to be in Russian, or at least in a Cyrillic alphabet.

My guess is that he's some sort of NSA (No Such Agency) Fed, but the writers are ham-fisted with making you wonder. They're trying too hard to be "LOST", and doing a bad job of it. In the fantasy island/Twilight Zone world of LOST, that kind of junk works, because that story is a means onto itself. OTOH, a nuclear atack on America has a context, and some expectation of a plot direction, but Jericho keeps playing too long with the ambivalence gambit, and it's starting to fail, IMO.

Since Hawkins also found prodigal son's blocked passport on the "online watch list", and was then "fixing" something, I think he's a Fed, and was using his strings to clean up wayward son's record. I'm guessing wayward son is AWOL special forces.

I want the answers to this, but the show is really pissing me off in the process. It's now just a race to see which wins out.

I didn't like the launch rumble either. Overly dramatic, just like the "power surge" starting the fires that were the main plot point of today's show in the first place. (Gee, nuclear war isn't "dramatic" enough? Sigh...) IIRC there's some silo's in Kansas, but I thought most were in Nebraska and the Dakotas. They might have seen contrails, maybe heard it faintly (NASA launches sure carry pretty far), but ground tremor is over the top, I agree.
I promise not to duck.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Jericho.....
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 07:04:07 AM »
Frankly I'd be suprised if a novice shooter could a) even load a single action revolver b)  index the cylinder so that the hammer fell on the first of the 3 rounds and c) hit a trained opponent on the first shot under pressure.
If the novice shooter had taken the NRA basic pistol class, a) and b) would be taken care of. Smiley
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

mtnbkr

• friend
Jericho.....
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 07:10:02 AM »
I thought the first octet started with a 9, which is completely illegal.  For those that don't know, no octet in an ip address can be higher than 255.  Standard first octet ranges are:  1-223 with the following three octets running 0-255.  Therefore, any IP address starting with 9xx.xxx.xxx.xxx is fake and wouldn't be accepted by a web browser Unless that "number" was actually a domain name resolved via DNS.  However, in the show, the girl specifically mentioned bypassing DNS by using the IP.

Chris

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Jericho.....
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 09:53:19 AM »
Hawkins was spotted with a backyard satellite dish by the Mayor's wayward son . . .
Yeah, what was up with that? I caught this show for the first time last night. If this guy is some secret squirrel type, he's really bad at it. You set up your COMSAT in the backyard in broad daylight?

What about the stuck valve at the water tower? That must have been one heck of a kevlar stock on that rifle to not snap off using it to pry like that.

Did anyone else get a creepy feeling when the "Homeland Security" computers started calling? I didn't get a sense of "hello, help is on the way". It felt more like someone was probing trying to locate them.