Author Topic: SCOTUS rules for Hobby Lobby in contraception case  (Read 7291 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
SCOTUS rules for Hobby Lobby in contraception case
« on: June 30, 2014, 10:30:30 AM »
More to come: Supreme Court sides with religious-owned businesses that don't want to provide contraception for employees via the employer healthcare insurance.

Details to follow.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: SCOTUS rules for Hobby Lobby in contraception case
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:31:37 AM »
5-4.

Our nation is screwed.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »
5-4.

Our nation is screwed.

You just now figured that out?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
Don't really have time to dig through the opinion text right now.  Anybody want to summarize Kennedy's concurring opinion?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »
You just now figured that out?

Thank you for the laugh. I need some sunshine amidst the doom and gloom at times.

(And no, I didn't just figure it out. It's just more evidence of it. BUT, I'm really trying not to become Manedwolf over all of this. I know there is hope- we live in a very divided country. Likely around that same 5:4 ratio that flips back and forth.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
More to come: Supreme Court sides with religious-owned businesses that don't want to provide contraception for employees via the employer healthcare insurance.

Details to follow.

Yay!
 SCOTUS gets one right for once.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 11:08:20 AM »
Thank you for the laugh. I need some sunshine amidst the doom and gloom at times.

(And no, I didn't just figure it out. It's just more evidence of it. BUT, I'm really trying not to become Manedwolf over all of this. I know there is hope- we live in a very divided country. Likely around that same 5:4 ratio that flips back and forth.)

I miss that guy. Aside from the part at the end where he went crazy he was one of our best posters.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:01 AM »
I miss that guy. Aside from the part at the end where he went crazy he was one of our best posters.

Me too. I appreciated his comments. I thought he was unnecessarily gloomy on our outlook, but at least it was understandable.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »
Yay!
 SCOTUS gets one right for once.

Too narrow, but I'll take wins where we get them.

I understand the Conservative majority likes to practice judicial restraint, feeling that making more sweeping decisions will create a destabilizing see-saw effect in American jurisprudence. Except like everything else when battling the ends-justify-the-means-Left, they don't do the same.

The public sector union ruling was also good, but exactly the same. If First Amendment freedom of association applies to the visiting healthcare assistants, I fail to see why it doesn't apply to everyone in a .gov union.
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:40:56 AM »
5-4.

Our nation is screwed.

razor's edge
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »
The response has been predictably measured and reasonable. NSFW, and yeah yeah I know our side does it to. Still fun to watch.

http://twitchy.com/2014/06/30/fuk-you-left-wingers-want-to-burn-down-hobby-lobby-after-scotus-win/

http://twitchy.com/2014/06/30/you-disgust-me-angry-lefties-scold-scotusblog-for-hobby-lobby-decision-just-one-problem/

Someone here recently predicted Idiocracy-level society in 20 years. May be optimistic...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 02:03:24 PM »
Someone here recently predicted Idiocracy-level society in 20 years. May be optimistic...

That's a fact.

Reading some of those comments,along with others of a political bent,it's obvious that self control and personal responsibility are flying out the window.
If it weren't so scary it'd just be amusing.I mean really,screaming for the deaths of the Supreme Court Justices?The murder of the owners of Hobby Lobby?Burn down all their stores?There's going to be a revolution?(Well,I think they got the last one right.)

I wonder if any of those...strident(?)posters commenting about murder and arson would actually say anything even close to that were they to be in a room full of strangers?
Internet anonymity at it's finest.

That vote was too close.
jeff w

I like onions!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 02:04:46 PM »

The time frame, or the potential intelligence level?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 02:05:54 PM »
I wonder if any of those...strident(?)posters commenting about murder and arson would actually say anything even close to that were they to be in a room full of strangers?

More to the point, would they still say it if they were facing a line of armed defenders in front of a Hobby Lobby?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »

Coming from a state where the ugliness of the left was on display for all to see for over a year when they were protesting Gov Scott Walker at the WI Capitol building I can say a definate Yes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »

That was me. I'll take the hit on being a crappy seer. Maybe buying one of those disused missile silos to spend my remaining years in wouldn't be all that bad of an investment.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
I do think it's funny that the majority of hate posts are crying about Hobby Lobby "denying" women contraception. Since Hobby Lobby is not the government, they can not, and are not, denying women anything. I believe any one of their female employees can head on down to the corner drug store and buy all the contraceptives they want.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 02:17:15 PM »
I do think it's funny that the majority of hate posts are crying about Hobby Lobby "denying" women contraception. Since Hobby Lobby is not the government, they can not, and are not, denying women anything. I believe any one of their female employees can head on down to the corner drug store and buy all the contraceptives they want.

Some folks believe that if the .gov doesn't force someone else to pay for it for you, they're "denying" it to you.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »
The time frame, or the potential intelligence level?

I intended time frame, but now that you mention it, no reason to set the bar artificially high.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »
I had never read the details of this dispute, but just learned that apparently Hobby Lobby already (voluntarily) provides a choice of sixteen different forms of contraception to employees. Kinda makes the wacko response just that much more wacko. Sandra Fluke is really getting taken to task on it. I wonder how many forms of contraception she believes a woman needs? :)

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »
I had never read the details of this dispute, but just learned that apparently Hobby Lobby already (voluntarily) provides a choice of sixteen different forms of contraception to employees. Kinda makes the wacko response just that much more wacko. Sandra Fluke is really getting taken to task on it. I wonder how many forms of contraception she believes a woman needs? :)

16?  I can only think of 5.  I'm being denied!Burn the place down!They didn't tell me!Die!Die!Die!I DEMAND MY SIXTEEN FORMS OF BIRTH CONTROL!AND A FEMALE YOGA INSTRUCTOR!AND A BEER!WITH BACON!  :mad:

Really,16?Are super glue and duct tape involved? ;)
jeff w

I like onions!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 03:08:36 PM »
16?  I can only think of 5. 

Yeah, it must be some combination of types and brands or something.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 03:11:38 PM »
My employer only offers two, regardless of gender; abstinence, or abstinence and STFU about it.