Author Topic: Another Nigerian scammer ... or a copy cat?  (Read 582 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Another Nigerian scammer ... or a copy cat?
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »
I received the following e-mail today:

With due respect,

This is to present you with a rare opportunity to participate in an investment Financing scheme that will see you manage a sizable amount of money in any investment scheme of your choice provided you can prove that it is lucrative over a period of ten years which will be renewable automatically depending on your performance.

I am prompted with the turn of events in the world of international diplomacy and Europe in particular. I decided to contact you after making some very important considerations and will introduce myself to you properly and give you the details of this project if you give me the opportunity to do so.

I am sorry for this informal way of making this contact with you, but you will excuse me after we progress to the stage where I will bring you into the broader and full picture of the project and the situation that necessitated it. This will depend on how responsive you are with regards to our correspondence. Your effort to show that you are someone who could be trusted to be honest will also go a long way to motivate me.

Since I have stated that there is a sizable amount of money involved in this, I want to also quickly add that I am also fanatical when it comes to keeping the law and as such there are no risks involved in this project.

I will be looking forward to get your response so that we can proceed if you might be interested.

Yours Truly,
Venon G.

The return e-mail address is an AOL address. I think it's significant that the writer makes no claims to be a former highly-placed individual in the government or banking industry, and there are no references to unclaimed millions left by some dearly departed. In fact, the writer assures me that he's "fanatical" about following the law and that there's no risk involved.

I guess I should jump on this ASAP, agreed?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Another Nigerian scammer ... or a copy cat?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
Pretty sure he misspelled his own name.  Should have been "Venom".
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »
Scheme mentioned twice in the first sentence.

There's a reason for that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
I got one the other day that made it through my spam/scam filter.  It was very short, only one paragraph. 

Makes me wonder if they've learned to say less, so there's less for the filters to pick up on.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »
Sounds legit to me. Also looks like a great opportunity to make some bucks toward the APS anti-pirate ship.  Let us know how it turns out.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.