Author Topic: Apparently I have a lot of friends in the North End...  (Read 1463 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Apparently I have a lot of friends in the North End...
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:58:18 AM »
of Hartford cause I drove up and down Albany Ave (Rt 44) a couple of times this week and people were waving at me like I was their bestest oldest friend. They are just so FRIENDLY over in that area. I can't imagine why they get so much bad press all the time. From what I can tell I was being profiled, being a middle aged white guy driving through the streets of Hartford in a 16 year old car. Imagine that. Lovely town Hartford, home sweet home... Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:35:10 AM »
So, which finger were they waiving at you?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 11:58:41 AM »
I believe it's known as the "Hawiian Peace Sign"  Tongue

Such peaceful people they are there...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:27:02 PM »
Hartford, where?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 12:46:35 PM »
That's how the dealers and the pimps do when friendly competition is allowed to flourish.  Either that or they wanted you to pull over so they could permanently borrow your wheels.
For entertainment purposes only.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 12:52:08 PM »
I'm sorry, Hartford, CT. Everybody DOES know why I was getting waves, right? Drug dealers. They used to point at their noses but the cops wised up to that, now they wave all big smiles and friendly like. I guess it's still not illegal or incriminating to wave. It's been a while since I'd been that way but, not much has changed. (I'm starting to feel like a broken record here.) Tongue

I just thought it was interesting that they see an older white guy in an older car as a potential drug customer. I was going to visit a friend once early in the A.M. one Sunday and a guy in a car followed me into her lot and thought I was going there to buy crack. They're hustlers, I'll give em that. You know that stuff would all go away if they legalized it, taxed it and put the bulk of the revenue into prevention and rehab. Cause then you'd take the serious criminal element right out of it.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 12:53:53 PM »
Either that or they wanted you to pull over so they could permanently borrow your wheels.
Yea, and my wallet and whatever else they could get their hands on.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 12:58:02 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
I just thought it was interesting that they see an older white guy in an older car as a potential drug customer. I was going to visit a friend once early in the A.M. one Sunday and a guy in a car followed me into her lot and thought I was going there to buy crack.
In the army, I knew a black kid from Philadelphia.  I dont' know what part, but I guess a bad one.  He said the only reason white people came to his neighborhood was to buy drugs, and any white person there was assumed to be looking to score.  Other than 5-O of course.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 01:11:07 PM »
My Brother in Law likes to drive about PA and honk and wave at anyone working in their yard

they always return the wave and try to figure out who must have bought a new car

Wink
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 01:41:41 PM »
We had a part of town that was like that when I was a kid.  If you slowed down too much you'd have guys running along side your car asking you how much.  You could buy and go without ever stopping.  If you stopped, you were in deep *expletive deleted*it.  The dealers would surround your car and hound you like the little kids selling the chicle south of the border.  The only way to escape was to buy something (this thinned the crowd) then drive through the rest.  Hopefully one hadn't hopped in the car with you.  Some of the guys that didn't get the deal would be pissed.  I had a friend that got a bottle broken over his head by a less than happy dealer.  Funny thing is, a handful of the "salesmen" were kids I saw daily in school and even played football with.  That was over twenty years ago and I don't know how the area has changed since, but I heard the police did crack down on the drive-thru dealers.
For entertainment purposes only.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 04:38:01 PM »
the North End...
So, what does North End signify in Hartford?  

In one city I lived in (Champaign-Urbana, IL), "the North End" was the nasty rough po folk end of town.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 10:11:22 PM »
Same here, except then we have the "South End" too. Same atmosphere, different ethnic group.

I know they cracked down here a while ago. That's when the signal went from nose pointing to waving. I'm also familiar with the car rushing crowds. I don't know if that still goes on around here. I HAVE had the road blocked in front of me before. On my own street, once it got really bad. That's when I figured it was time to find a new neighborhood. That old neighborhood is literally a ghost town in one area now with half a street of boarded up houses. Pretty quiet around there these days. Kind of nice to know some of the slumlords took it in the end. That was a little berg known as Rockville, Ct., actually a pretty interesting town if you study it's history at all. Once had 2 opera houses and it's factorys made the silk cloth for 2 presidential inauguration suits. Now a mere frazzle of it's former self.