Author Topic: D̶e̶p̶u̶t̶y̶ "deputy's gun" shoots at dog, misses, hits kid in the leg.  (Read 3019 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Clever linethrough courtesy Radley Balko on twitter

http://m.walb.com/#!/newsDetail/25999058

"... Sheriff Wooten said a deputy, who was not named, was approaching the property when a dog ran up to him. The deputy's gun fired one shot, missing the dog and hitting the child. It was not clear if the gun was actively fired by the deputy...."
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I remember when I was a kid learning to use a hammer and I drove nails crooked, I would blame the hammer and my dad would just laugh at me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
I wonder how the per capita rates of ND's, and ND's involving injury compare between the LEO and Non-LEO population?

Obviously one tends to get more press, so that could skew perception, but still, we might all be a little safer if we took their guns away.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
I wish these idjits would figure out that blaming an acciedent on an ND just makes it sound even worse then it already is.

And this guy shot a kid, instead of the dog. There really wasn't much that could be said to make it worse, but golly! He sure did!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
"... Sheriff Wooten said a deputy, who was not named, was approaching the property when a dog ran up to him. The deputy's gun fired one shot, missing the dog and hitting the child. It was not clear if the gun was actively fired by the deputy...."

Darn smart guns.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
I predict less overall internet indignation for shooting a kid vs. a dog.

It keeps the fingers off the triggers or it gets the hose again.

Simple.
jeff w

I like onions!

Hawkmoon

• friend
Only law enforcement should be allowed to have firearms, because they're professionals and they know how to use them safely.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
That is one poorly written article. It doesn't get around to giving any details about how it happened until 3/4s of the way in, takes a side trip to talk about the guy the cops were chasing that makes it sound kind of like he was the one who shot the kid (that part really should have been at the end of the article), then there's this: "The deputy's gun fired one shot, missing the dog and hitting the child. It was not clear if the gun was actively fired by the deputy."  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:37:45 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
... then there's this: "The deputy's gun fired one shot, missing the dog and hitting the child. It was not clear if the gun was actively fired by the deputy."  :facepalm:

Maybe it was passively fired?

No, I don't know how to do that, but if they aren't certain it was "actively fired," then "passively fired" would logically be the only alternative explanation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Only the most professional law enforcement officers are issued self-firing guns.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
Maybe it was passively fired?

No, I don't know how to do that, but if they aren't certain it was "actively fired," then "passively fired" would logically be the only alternative explanation.

Given the rarity of true ADs, does it matter? It's still falls under the catagory of "officer is a dumbbutt"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Phyphor

• friend
Given the rarity of true ADs, does it matter? It's still falls under the catagory of "officer is a dumbbutt"

Yup.

"DO NOT POINT AT ANYTHING YOU AREN'T WILLING TO DESTROY."

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

RoadKingLarry

• friends
'm thinking this one fals under:
Be sure of your target and what's beyond it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

griz

• friend
The recent news about a smart gun for sale and the resulting ban on future dumb guns (AKA "real" guns) brings to mind a question.  Since various governments seem to be early adopters of every technology they approve of, such as alternative fuels, solar power, electric cars, etc, why don't they issue the available smart guns to police officers?  Of course the actual answer is "because smart guns don't work yet", but all you will hear from them is obfuscation. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Forget "smart guns" - they are no longer needed.  We have bullets that can make course corrections so they always land on target.

http://io9.com/5880884/this-self-guided-bullet-can-chase-you-down-from-over-a-mile-away

Government engineers have designed a bullet that can aim itself, correcting its own path mid-flight in order to connect with targets over a mile away. Is this the future of armed warfare?

The formidable projectile was designed by engineers Red Jones and Brian Kast of Sandia National Laboratories. And while this bullet is technically a prototype, preliminary tests cleary demonstrate that it has the potential to revolutionize the design of smart ammunition. Here's how it works: ....

No more need to be professional enough - just make sure you carry the right ammo for the job.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
These will be of real help when our household robots malfunction and have to be tracked down and destroyed.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
These will be of real help when our household robots malfunction and have to be tracked down and destroyed.

Or not. The smart guns could be in league with the robots. [tinfoil]

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Or not. The smart guns ammo could be in league with the robots. [tinfoil]

FIFY.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Stand_watie

• friend
Follow up column in the post; A very good read, and applicable much more broadly than just to police agencies. Think of that passive "Mistakes were made" voice from any authority/institution that you've heard in your life from school to corporate to government.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/07/14/the-curious-grammar-of-police-shootings/

edit: another article about the "why" of passive voice excuses

http://jmsclass.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/passive-voice-makes-perpetrators-disappear-in-news-headlines/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:24:45 PM by Stand_watie »
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Follow up column in the post; A very good read, and applicable much more broadly than just to police agencies. Think of that passive "Mistakes were made" voice from any authority/institution that you've heard in your life from school to corporate to government.

It's a major reason, IMO, that abuse and coverups continue to happen.  Widespread public ridicule is a powerful weapon, especially when the top of the food chain depends on public opinion for their continued employment.

Imagine, if you will, the headline "reckless handling of firearm by deputy leads to child being shot."  That sheriff would need to gibbet the deputy on the courthouse square to stand a chance in the next election.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Imagine a world where elected officials actually do there jobs,the best they can,with no regards of their future employment.
Imagine the grand mess of things that'd occur when people actually have to take their lumps.
*sigh*
jeff w

I like onions!

cordex

• Administrator
Very good articles Stand_watie.

T.O.M.

• friend

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/07/14/the-curious-grammar-of-police-shootings/

edit: another article about the "why" of passive voice excuses

http://jmsclass.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/passive-voice-makes-perpetrators-disappear-in-news-headlines/

I believe that a large motivator for this trend in language is the litigious nature of our society.  Many lawyers will tell clients to not admit anything.  Even in sentencing statements, where acknowledging wrongdoing can be beneficial.  Too many lawyers advise people that acknowledging wrongdoing, even if it is just a mistake, leaves one liable.  And that is a bad thing for society as a whole, IMHO.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I believe that a large motivator for this trend in language is the litigious nature of our society.  Many lawyers will tell clients to not admit anything.  Even in sentencing statements, where acknowledging wrongdoing can be beneficial.  Too many lawyers advise people that acknowledging wrongdoing, even if it is just a mistake, leaves one liable.  And that is a bad thing for society as a whole, IMHO.

Fixed that for you.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

I do tell my healthcare providers that everything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.  That being said, I do commonly admit mistakes and make apologies on behalf of the organization and providers.  Very often with the providers sitting right next to me so they can chime in. But I always tell them that if I start stomping on your foot, that is your cue to shut up and let me talk.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.