Author Topic: Bergdahl "fit" for duty.  (Read 4996 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Bergdahl "fit" for duty.
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:21:35 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/14/bergdahl-could-return-to-active-duty-as-early-as-monday-army-says/?intcmp=latestnews

First question I have is what will his duties be?

There is so many issues with this guy anything short of turning rocks and mowing grass would set my radar off.  I know I wouldn't want him in charge of anything sensitive in nature.  I know since he is a NCO he shouldn't be doing "work" but supervising those that do then put him in charge of the detail that turns rocks and mows grass.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
Re: Bergdahl "fit" for duty.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »
Well he's got a couple schools to go to to catch up with his rank.  That'll keep him busy for a little bit.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
He'll be stationed at Ft. Sam Houston. I say put him in charge of feeding the deer and peacocks in the Quadrangle. Better than he deserves, but limits his interaction with people.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:59:04 AM »
Well he's got a couple schools to go to to catch up with his rank.  That'll keep him busy for a little bit.

Knowing the Army they will give him a waiver. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »

Sounds like he's getting a desk job.

I know the internet hates the guy. I'm not ready to pass judgment as I don't know all the details. From what I understand, he's sketchy but not likely another Nidal Hasan. 5 years in captivity is a LONG time. Acting squirrelly during captivity or immediately after is understandable, so long as his actions were more or less honorable.

Call me funny, but I'm giving a POW the benefit of a doubt until proven otherwise.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 11:21:25 AM »
Meh... Seems like more "formalities" to me.

Like the automatic promotions while in captivity etc.  And the "innocent until proven guilty" method.

Probably also part of declaring him fit for Court Martial too.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »
Doesn't McMurdo need a gate guard with no ammo?

It would be worth the cost of putting in a gate.  Not necessarily a fence, mind you, and a guard shack would be a waste of money, but gates aren't too pricey.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »
5 years in captivity is a LONG time.

Exactly.  Which is why being certified fit for duty in 2 months is a bit strange.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »

It would be worth the cost of putting in a gate.  Not necessarily a fence, mind you, and a guard shack would be a waste of money, but gates aren't too pricey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWg-mozGsU

BTW,I was thinking pre-court martial too.
Since there was such a huge fuss over getting him released,I wonder how they'd go about a court martial?
I suspect that within a year he'll quietly leave the Army and disappear from public view.
jeff w

I like onions!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »

I'd say just a single spool of concertina wire stretched across a random bit of ice.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »
Sounds like he's getting a desk job.

I know the internet hates the guy. I'm not ready to pass judgment as I don't know all the details. From what I understand, he's sketchy but not likely another Nidal Hasan. 5 years in captivity is a LONG time. Acting squirrelly during captivity or immediately after is understandable, so long as his actions were more or less honorable.

Call me funny, but I'm giving a POW the benefit of a doubt until proven otherwise.

5 years is a long time, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on any squirrellyness during and since coming home.  I'll even cut his Dad some slack for behaviour during and after.  That's gotta suck.

It's the reports of his behavior beforehand that concern me.  Again, nothing's proven so I'm not saying ship him to Siberia, but a lot of folks, some of who I know, are raising some stink about him.  On the "where's there's smoke..." idea I wonder what's up.  I'm also pretty sure that nothing will ever be investigated.  Niether the Army nor the Executive branch want this to remain in the new very long.

I just hope he actually did get all the counciling he needed, and politics didn't force this speedy recovery.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 01:11:21 PM »
I too am trying not to pass judgment prematurely on the guy but I see some similar issues with him that were there with Manning.  What pisses me off about the Manning situation is that yes he did wrong but he should have never been in the position he was in.  He should have had his clearance suspended and he too painting rocks.

I am in the same camp as being all OK after just a couple of months after being held captive for 5 years.  I would like to see any correlation as to how long it took for POW's from Nam to be considered "fit" considering.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 01:54:10 PM »
Exactly.  Which is why being certified fit for duty in 2 months is a bit strange.

"Fit" to sit at a desk and shuffle papers. He was in a combat unit. It will probably be a long while before he returns to combat status, if ever.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 03:04:05 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/14/bergdahl-could-get-350g-tax-free-if-cleared-by-army/

Bergdahl was moved to the U.S. Army North command on Saturday, shifting from the U.S. Army South command, which had overseen his arrival in the U.S. and reintegration. Under Army North, he will return to work and live in standard military barracks. He is being assigned to the protocol office, which assists soldiers in military procedures and etiquette.

“That’s the worst place to put him. They’re pulling his clearance so I’m not sure what he’s supposed to do,” said one Army official, speaking on the condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to publicly discuss the sergeant’s case.

If it is deemed he was a POW I have no problem with him getting his pay because he is entitled to it.  I'm just curious as to why his pay would have stopped while he was being held since there was no question about him being alive?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »
If it is deemed he was a POW I have no problem with him getting his pay because he is entitled to it.  I'm just curious as to why his pay would have stopped while he was being held since there was no question about him being alive?

Do deserters normally get paid for the time they spend AWOL?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 03:42:28 PM »
Do deserters normally get paid for the time they spend AWOL?

No.

I read, but now forget, what his official status was while he was gone, but if they are talking back pay, it must have been deserter.  I'm 99.95% sure if they think you're a POW the whole time you keep getting paid. 

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 05:13:28 PM »
Well now that Bowe Bergdahl is back on Active Duty he needs to finish his AT Level 1, Anti Phishing, Removable Media, Combating Trafficking in Persons General Awareness Course, Composite Risk Management, Equal Employment Opportunity, Fraternization, Law of Land Warfare, OPSEC, Personnel Recovery, TARP, SHARP, Suicide Prevention, Cyber Awareness, Safe Home Computing, PII, SERE 100, SSD 2.

Also his Hearing Readiness is 720 days delinquent and he needs to make his way to S1 to update his DD93 and SGLI.

Also he can't forget his MRT, Weapons qual, PT test, POV inspection, INFOSEC, Accident Avoidance, and Risk Assessment! Oh! His Medpros are red, his shot card is outdated by five years, and his GAT is red.

And all by COB today.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »
Well now that Bowe Bergdahl is back on Active Duty he needs to finish his AT Level 1, Anti Phishing, Removable Media, Combating Trafficking in Persons General Awareness Course, Composite Risk Management, Equal Employment Opportunity, Fraternization, Law of Land Warfare, OPSEC, Personnel Recovery, TARP, SHARP, Suicide Prevention, Cyber Awareness, Safe Home Computing, PII, SERE 100, SSD 2.

Also his Hearing Readiness is 720 days delinquent and he needs to make his way to S1 to update his DD93 and SGLI.

Also he can't forget his MRT, Weapons qual, PT test, POV inspection, INFOSEC, Accident Avoidance, and Risk Assessment! Oh! His Medpros are red, his shot card is outdated by five years, and his GAT is red.

And all by COB today.

Yeah, but he can do them over the web, so...  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »
Quote from: Bowe Bergdahl
"I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting."

"If deployment is lame, I'm going to get lost in the Mountains and make my way to China."

I am ashamed to be an American. And the title of 'U.S. soldier' is just the lie of fools.

At least six soldiers were killed in subsequent searches for him, according to soldiers involved in the operations to find him. The Pentagon was not able to provide details on specific operations in which any soldiers killed during that time were involved.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »
Ayup.

CSM i know is retiring over this. He lost several good troops
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »

And all by COB today.

LOL funny you should mention TARP.  Only can be given by a CI agent or qualified 35 series.  Not sure I would want him holding a weapon anytime soon and not sure OPSEC will do any good.  His DD93 would be a great idea because if it had been correct maybe someone would have been getting his pay all this time.

He probably needs SSD1 and if it has been more than two years since he was signed up to do it he is screwed because it isn't supposed to be able to be reopened once it closes.  If no SSD1 no further schools so no further advancement.  Time to go ahead and just admin him out.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:48 PM »
Why, again,  isn't he being investigated?    ???

I can't imagine getting away with this,  but apparently it's a thing.  I should go desert to France or some other nice place til EAS,  then come back and collect back pay it seems..  ;/

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »
There is some sort of investigation going on but until they complete it the public isn't going to hear too much about it to try to keep the integrity of it intact.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 11:46:30 PM »

He should run for the US Senate.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 11:55:41 PM »
He should run for the US Senate.
Whoa. That was a low blow. He hasn't been convicted yet, there is no need to associate him with US Senators or their ilk. Pretty sure that violates the APS standards of politeness, even if describing a potential deserter.