Author Topic: Children's Resources from my Youth  (Read 1060 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Children's Resources from my Youth
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:03:50 AM »
I have been looking everywhere to find the dramatization of the American Revolution that I had when I was growing up. Unfortunately, as I was not even yet a teenager, the name of the recording escaped me, though the words and descriptions remained.

As a result, I've spent a lot of time on Amazon and other sites getting shot down by audiobooks about the American Revolution...

Until now:

http://adventureamigos.net/category/classictapes/

Turns out it was Fisher Price who put out the recording. In addition to that recording, the altruistic gentleman (men?) behind this website has also put up several other dramatizations of the great books from Fisher Price.

If you are looking for a great introduction to history and literature for young children, check out that site.

(Now on to find the "Comic-book" type books of the great works that started me on them when I was in elementary school...)

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Children's Resources from my Youth
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »
Thanks!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »
Did you mean the Great Classics comics?

http://www.newkadia.com/?Classics_Illustrated_Comic-Books=835

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:29:57 PM »
Did you mean the Great Classics comics?

http://www.newkadia.com/?Classics_Illustrated_Comic-Books=835

stay safe.

Thanks, but that's not quite what I was looking for. They were the size of a paperback, but had the great works (abridged, obviously) in comic book format.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »
As a child, I read a bunch of the Great Illustrated Classics. I suppose these are probably great, provided you TELL THE KID THEY'RE NOT THE REAL THING!!  :mad: How the heck was I supposed to know, on my third time through The Three Musketeers, that I was wasting my time with watered-down kiddy stuff?

Yes, I still harbor resentment over this. I think I will burn down my parents' house tonight. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
Thanks, but that's not quite what I was looking for. They were the size of a paperback, but had the great works (abridged, obviously) in comic book format.

These?  http://www.amazon.com/The-Mutiny-Bounty-Patrick-OBrien/dp/0802795870/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:52:54 AM »
I skipped that stuff and started reading the classic sci-fi at about 9 or 10. Probably a little young for "I Will Fear No Evil" at that age though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »
TELL THE KID THEY'RE NOT THE REAL THING!!

Classics Illustrated comics were not permitted in the house when I was growing up, so I started reading the real thing rather young, but I was raised speaking English by literate parents.

However, when my son was 1 to about 7.5 we lived in Thailand with my then-wife's family. He was fluent in Thai and Kammuang/Lao, and his understanding of Chinese was pretty good.  His English was next to non-existent. When we returned to the States already knew the alphabet and he picked up spoken English rapidly, but had little western cultural background. I bought a case of Classics Illustrated, so he could quickly get a grasp of stories, characters, etcetera essential to cultural literacy. My mother was not delighted with my strategy, but at least she understood and did not object.

Yes, I did tell him that the comics were not the real thing, and I told him why I got them for him. I let him enjoy them – then move on.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 12:11:48 PM »
I skipped that stuff and started reading the classic sci-fi at about 9 or 10. Probably a little young for "I Will Fear No Evil" at that age though.

Same here.  I think it warped me for life.  Not that I am complaining, however.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
Classics Illustrated comics were not permitted in the house when I was growing up, so I started reading the real thing rather young, but I was raised speaking English by literate parents.

However, when my son was 1 to about 7.5 we lived in Thailand with my then-wife's family. He was fluent in Thai and Kammuang/Lao, and his understanding of Chinese was pretty good.  His English was next to non-existent. When we returned to the States already knew the alphabet and he picked up spoken English rapidly, but had little western cultural background. I bought a case of Classics Illustrated, so he could quickly get a grasp of stories, characters, etcetera essential to cultural literacy. My mother was not delighted with my strategy, but at least she understood and did not object.

Yes, I did tell him that the comics were not the real thing, and I told him why I got them for him. I let him enjoy them – then move on.

Let me not be understood to say that I thought classic literature was actually comic books. :lol: I was talking about heavily paraphrased novels, with non-comic-book illustrations.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife