Author Topic: Less than 3 percent of the U.S. population identify themselves as gay  (Read 3681 times)

MechAg94

• friend
I remembered this question has come up before.  I heard mention of this last week and thought I would pass it on. 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/health-survey-gives-government-its-first-large-scale-data-on-gay-bisexual-population/2014/07/14/2db9f4b0-092f-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html

The National Health Interview Survey, which is the government’s premier tool for annually assessing Americans’ health and behaviors, found that 1.6 percent of adults self-identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent consider themselves bisexual.

The overwhelming majority of adults, 96.6 percent, labeled themselves as straight in the 2013 survey. An additional 1.1 percent declined to answer, responded “I don’t know the answer” or said they were “something else.”

The commentary I heard last week was pointing out that based on actual population, gays and lesbians over represented in media and have a lot of political influence. 

http://gaylife.about.com/od/comingout/a/population.htm
This was another link that popped up on the Bing search of other data.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
fabulous!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

brimic

• friends
There are probably another 5% that might be maybe/sorta/kind of or experimented once in college once while drunk that are being counted in the usually statistics. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
There are probably another 5% that might be maybe/sorta/kind of or experimented once in college once while drunk that are being counted in the usually statistics. :laugh:

Are you trying to tell us something?  ;)
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
So, really, it's less than 2.5%?

So, the fewer of them, the more special they are? The more oppressed, and in need of our help? Maybe they can demand reparations.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Look at the bright side.
In another couple of generations straight white males will be in such a minority that they'll probably put us in a zoo.
All kinds of special then.
 :police:
jeff w

I like onions!

brimic

• friends
Look at the bright side.
In another couple of generations straight white males will be in such a minority that they'll probably put us in a zoo.

Can I be in the cage with the spider monkeys?

Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
Look at the bright side.

I think we have already reached the point where straight white males should automatically qualify for Minority Business Enterprise status. Add "Christian" to that and it should be a slam dunk.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I think we have already reached the point where straight white males should automatically qualify for Minority Business Enterprise status. Add "Christian" to that and it should be a slam dunk.

I think there should be some kind of hate crime victim status for us after all the things I read after the recent Hobby Lobby decision about ridding the Earth of all old white males. Seems to me that talk of genocide should qualify.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
think we have already reached the point where straight white males should automatically qualify for Minority Business Enterprise status. Add "Christian" to that and it should be a slam dunk.

Political/religious minority status worked out really well for others in fascist countries in the 20th century.

Barack Obama

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Re: Less than 3 percent of the U.S. population identify themselves as gay
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »
Political/religious minority status worked out really well for others in fascist countries in the 20th century.

We still have our guns.And the lessons from history to learn from.
jeff w

I like onions!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
We still have our guns.And the lessons from history to learn from.
If we learned anything from history, those guns would have been used a long time ago. :facepalm:

Barack Obama

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »
If we learned anything from history, those guns would have been used a long time ago. :facepalm:

Careful.Or this thread will get moved to politics. [tinfoil]
jeff w

I like onions!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »
Can I be in the cage with the spider monkeys?

Suit yourself.  I want to be the limited commodity in the cage full of straight women.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »
Then consider that only a single digit percentage of that small minority will avail themselves of same sex "marriage" if it's available.

The battle against gay marriage is a pointless exercise IMHO. Much ado about nothing.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 10:17:19 PM »
Then consider that only a single digit percentage of that small minority will avail themselves of same sex "marriage" if it's available.

The battle against gay marriage is a pointless exercise IMHO. Much ado about nothing.

It was never about the numbers, for either side.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 08:48:12 AM »

It was never about the numbers, for either side.

As professed followers of Christ there is a contingent of the homosexual/progressive population who have chosen to be our enemy.

Our responsibility is to love them.

Generally what I'm observing in the media from "Christian leaders" is a wide scale condemnation of all gay folks, stereotyping all of them into an easy to hate enemy. In fact I'm not seeing any love at all from "Christians" toward the militant gay crowd (except from the old line liberal and doctrinally confused progressive Christian crowd) . I'm pretty sure the vast middle of marginal or non-believers aren't seeing any love either. What they do see is an almost irrational dislike of the "other" from institutional orthodox Christianity. Now it may be a natural response to the militants actions but in practice it alienates not only homosexual folks but their friends and families.

Maybe as followers of Christ we should focus on some other sins like our love of money, gluttony or our abdication of taking care of the poor and in need to the secular state.  

Considering the state of true marriage in our churches a little bit of humility is in order.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:52:18 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 08:54:25 AM »
As professed followers of Christ there is a contingent of the homosexual/progressive population who have chosen to be our enemy.

Generally what I'm observing in the media from "Christian leaders" is a wide scale condemnation of all gay folks, stereotyping all of them into an easy to hate enemy. In fact I'm not seeing any love at all from "Christians" toward the militant gay crowd (except from the old line liberal and doctrinally confused progressive Christian crowd) . I'm pretty sure the vast middle of marginal or non-believers aren't seeing any love either. What they do see is an almost irrational dislike of the "other" from institutional orthodox Christianity. Now it may be a natural response to the militants actions but in practice it alienates not only homosexual folks but their friends and families.

Maybe as followers of Christ we should focus on some other sins like our love of money, gluttony or our abdication of taking care of the poor and in need to the secular state.  

Considering the state of true marriage in our churches a little bit of humility is in order.

x100

I think the gay folks are picked out because it is easier to find fault in others than in yourself.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:49 AM »
"Doctrinally confused progressive Christian crowd"?  What is that?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 09:16:43 AM »
"Doctrinally confused progressive Christian crowd"?  What is that?

Those Christians who have abandoned objective truth for some type of post modern view of truth.

The Emerging Church movement is pretty much rife with post modern thought and I fear for where that will lead them in the long run.

Having said that, I appreciate some of the challenges to orthodox thought they have mounted while being very leery of their shaky hermeneutics.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
Those Christians who have abandoned objective truth for some type of post modern view of truth.

The Emerging Church movement is pretty much rife with post modern thought and I fear for where that will lead them in the long run.

Having said that, I appreciate some of the challenges to orthodox thought they have mounted while being very leery of their shaky hermeneutics.

Maybe you need to go find a Cowboy Church.  My boss is active in one of those.  I have never been to one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »

The "Christian leaders" you're referring to have as much to do with actual Christians as Al Sharpton has to do with non-ghetto blacks.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
Also, Ron, here's a good example of why we can't just "live and let live, ignore it and concentrate on important things" etc etc.

http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/07/22/want-prove-dont-hate-gays-all-you-have-to-do-is-worship-at-their-feet/

I have never in my life encountered a religion as oppressive, cold, and stiff as Progressivism. I’ve never known a faith more eager to burn heretics at the stake. Even a fundamentalist Iranian Muslim would flinch if he came face to face with a western liberal’s rigid dogmatism. I imagine that even a Saudi Arabian Islamic cleric would take one look at how American left wingers react when anyone deviates ever so slightly from their established orthodoxy, and say to himself, “man, these people REALLY need to chill.”

It’s because they’ve claimed so many victories that they have earned the luxury to demand more than a cowering tolerance from their ideological opponents. Conservatives and Christians who tried to keep their hands clean by merely putting up with the slaughter of children and the destruction of the nuclear family are now faced with a dilemma. They can’t just tacitly endorse evil anymore — they are going to be required to give their enthusiastic and active approval. Silence will be viewed as dissent, and dissent is the highest crime.

This isn't really relevant, but it is hilarious.

I’ll say this for Olbermann: once he’s fired again, he can look back at his stints on Current TV, MSNBC, and ESPN 2, and take pride in being the only guy who wasn’t good enough to hold a job at the three most irrelevant networks in the history of television.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »
Ron,

I share your concerns. Unfortunately, it is not very loving to paint with such a broad brush. You also treat these things as if they were mutually exclusive. There's no reason why churches can't fulfill their God-given mission to love the poor and the sinners, while also reproving sin. While doing that, they can also join other pro-reason folks in opposing irrational govt policies (same-sex marriage, etc.).

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
n/m