Author Topic: Good source for used computer monitors?  (Read 1002 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Good source for used computer monitors?
« on: September 27, 2006, 06:39:36 PM »
For about eleven years, I've been running two 21" monitors side-by-side: the one directly in front of me for whatever photograph or other file I'm working on, and the left monitor for all the toolbars.

The current left-side monitor is a Radius Precision View that I bought new in 1995. And it's starting to act like it may be going.

Much as I'd like one of the new 23" plasma photo-quality monitors, I just can't spend the money.

So, I'm wondering where I can find a monitor at a good price just for displaying the toolbars.

Chances are, I'll need a different video card as well as driver software to go with it.

I run a Mac G4.

Any suggestions?

jake7457

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 07:56:13 PM »
if you want to go the REALLY cheap route you can check freecycle.org

the local university has surplus equipment sales where used CRTs can be had for less than $20

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:14:49 PM »
+1 for local universities.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:17:23 PM »
the free section on Craigslist can sometimes offer such things. Especially if your area has banned the disposal of computer monitors in landfill sites (we have to pay to have them removed by a private "recycler").

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:31:59 AM »
Garage sales (a bit late in the season, I know).  I've piced up more than one perfectly good 17" CRT monitors for nothing or very cheap, just because the original owner moved to an LCD monitor.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 03:48:38 AM »
You lazy liberals.  Always looking for a handout.  There's no free lunch, buddy!

Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 03:51:18 AM »
what kind of price range are you looking at?

right now you can buy new 22" widescreen LCDs for under $300

As far as used I'd check with your local mom and pop computer parts store.  They often get deals with companies they sold new equipment for.
Mine would have 17" crt's for $40 and 19" for $75  

But you can buy new stuff for pretty close to that.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 05:19:07 AM »
Quote from: fistful
You lazy liberals.  Always looking for a handout.  There's no free lunch, buddy!

Tongue
This, actually, is quite true.  (The no free lunch thing, not the lazy liberals thing.  Although...)

A few years ago I mail ordered a used IBM 21" monitor.  I bought it because it was cheap, and because the manufacturer and the reseller both had sound reputations.  

Well, you get what you pay for.  The monitor I received had problems with poor brightness, low contrast, and some color casts in the corners.  The image would go blurry after a few hours of on-time.  The stupid thing was simply worn out.  I suppose I could have returned it for a refund, but the shippings costs made that impractical.

I eventually had to replace that monitor with a new 17" monitor I bought from a local store.  I would have saved a lot of money if I'd ponied up for the new monitor first.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

All I use the left monitor for is my toolbars in Photoshop and Dreamweaver. It don't use it for accurate color.

Maybe an inexpensive 21" CRT would be the way to go.

The photo studio I work for recently got rid of a bunch of monitors when they went to 23" LCD's. Maybe they still have one around I can buy.

I paid about $2000 for this Radius PrecisionView over eleven years ago. I guess I got my money's worth.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 06:02:46 PM »
The current left-side monitor is a Radius Precision View that I bought new in 1995. And it's starting to act like it may be going.
I bought a few Radius monitors years ago. Most were pretty good, but not even the best was worth looking at longer than three or four years. If you like eye strain, keep your monitor forever and a Sunday afternoon.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 10:22:03 PM »
If your area has a 1-800-GOT-JUNK franchise, ask them. I work my way through college picking up junk, and I get so many monitors it isn't even funny.
D. R. ZINN

proud2deviate

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 05:05:58 AM »
I got my current moniter (HP Pavilion M50) out of the alley on trash day. Brought it home, hit it with the hair dryer, and all was good.  

Three months with no internet after I beat my old sony to death with a dumbell. . . Learned not to do that again.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 12:26:38 PM »
Hmmm. The monitor isn't acting up anymore. It had been flickering very slightly yesterday, but now it's fine.

Not having to spend money = good.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 04:02:42 PM »
Maybe your monitor is just getting its affairs in order.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 04:19:09 PM »
Two places I always look:

http://www.craigslist.org   (You'll want to go Wisconsin/Milwaukee in your search)

http://www.pcsurplusonline.com

The latter place is where I get my corporate lease turn-in workstations and servers, for pennies on the dollar.  I bought, reconfigured, and sold many of them to local businesses in the Melbourne, FL area before I left there.  I found the place to be considerably more reliable and trustworthy than eBay.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"