Author Topic: Texas deploying 1000 troops to the border  (Read 12239 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Texas deploying 1000 troops to the border
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »

Official:
http://governor.state.tx.us/news/press-release/19925/

Regular media:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gov-rick-perry-deploying-up-to-1000-national-guard-troops-to-border/
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/21/texas-gov-rick-perry-plans-to-deploy-1000-guardsmen-to-border/

Meh, I doubt it will be any substantial change and most likely just be political grandstanding. NG will round up teenagers, who are looking for folks in uniform anyways, who will then be handed off to Border Patrol. Have we started sending the illegal immigrant minors home, or are they being settled here in the US?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Texas deploying 1000 troops to the border
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
Most of these teenagers coming in probably have no love for Mexico. So put them on a bus, surprise cupcake, next stop Parris Island, followed by a scenic beach vacation in Veracruz.  =D Well, I can dream right?

They get food, a home, something to do, and a substitute parent. What's not to like?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
"In other news, Gov Perry launches Operation Dog and Pony to facilitate moving the invading hordes into posh day spas in conservative areas faster. Sources report he anticipates it will help low information voters forget the tuition for illegals policy in 2016."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »
I thought this was a response to the cartel shooting at people, not the Children's Crusade.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:56:59 PM »
I thought this was a response to the cartel shooting at people, not the Children's Crusade.

Whatever the purported reasoning, what I posted is what will happen. Be interesting to see if they're carrying Condition 1, or even if they're issued live ammo at all.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »
Whatever the purported reasoning, what I posted is what will happen. Be interesting to see if they're carrying Condition 1, or even if they're issued live ammo at all.

That was my question on this. NG always seems to be sent to the crappiest of situations sans ammo. I've never understood that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
News Flash...

I know a couple of the 1000+ Texas National Guardsmen who are likely going to be part of the deployment.  I triple dog dare any of you instantly jumping on the "political grandstanding" bandwagon to say it to their face.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »
That was my question on this. NG always seems to be sent to the crappiest of situations sans ammo. I've never understood that.

Because better an enlisted man die due to lack of ammunition than an officer's career die due to a ND by one of his men.

News Flash...

I know a couple of the 1000+ Texas National Guardsmen who are likely going to be part of the deployment.  I triple dog dare any of you instantly jumping on the "political grandstanding" bandwagon to say it to their face.

Brad

A reasonable man would understand that the accusation is directed toward Gov Goodhair. 

Unless they are sent down there with a combat load, reasonable ROEs, and the mission to intercept and turn back all comers, this is grandstanding.

"In other news, Gov Perry launches Operation Dog and Pony to facilitate moving the invading hordes into posh day spas in conservative areas faster. Sources report he anticipates it will help low information voters forget the tuition for illegals policy in 2016."

Pretty much.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
A reasonable man would understand that the accusation is directed toward Gov Goodhair. 

Unless they are sent down there with a combat load, reasonable ROEs, and the mission to intercept and turn back all comers, this is grandstanding.

This. And unless they're still urinating water from Ft Benning or Ft Jackson, they already know it.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »
News Flash...

I know a couple of the 1000+ Texas National Guardsmen who are likely going to be part of the deployment.  I triple dog dare any of you instantly jumping on the "political grandstanding" bandwagon to say it to their face.

Brad

You want to fly me out all expenses paid to Texas and I'll be more than happy to say it to their face. Hell, I'll even tell some farmers what I think of the welfare subsidies they get from fed.gov too while I'm at it. I'd love a chance to do some hog hunting on someone else's dime.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »

When we went into New Orleans in 2005 after Katrina we are armed with ammo, was locked and loaded each and every time I went anywhere.

Saw elsewhere and posted on the other thread along these same lines that some reports is they want 20K on the border.  That is a division plus.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »
TX Nat Guard Adjutant General laying it down on what they'll be doing. They're "supporting" DPS, who are as far as I can tell, just bussing illegals to the camps.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Maj-Gen-John-Nichols-on-Texas-Border-Security-072114_Dallas-Fort-Worth-267982631.html

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »
You want to fly me out all expenses paid to Texas and I'll be more than happy to say it to their face. Hell, I'll even tell some farmers what I think of the welfare subsidies they get from fed.gov too while I'm at it. I'd love a chance to do some hog hunting on someone else's dime.

Okay. When?  I'll make sure to have my Guard and farm/ranch buddies at the airport to help celebrate your arrival.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
I've read nothing that stated a withdrawal date for the Guard.I expect an Executive Order to order the NG back to base.And probably a lawsuit over it too.

A couple of articles indicated that some would prefer more law enforcement assets than soldiers.(Is there a store where you can just order up a couple hundred trained cops?)
I wonder if the Guard won't,mostly-save for photo ops-be tasked in support so that the regular cops can concentrate on the border.Seems to make more sense to me?A Texas sherriff(with a truly impressive mustasche-Tom Selleck would approve)I just watched seemed to indicate otherwise.

I'm in favor of patrolling with AC-130s myself.No need for guys on the ground to get shot at.

Do we have any dumb bombs left?Don't want the BUFFs to get too dusty.Be nice to have a no-mans-land or buffer zone along the border.

I wonder how much ordnance it would take to carve out a canal across northern Mexico?
jeff w

I like onions!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 04:21:52 PM »

At least the man is taking a real and measurable action, not sitting around giving lip service (or grousing incessantly on internet forums) about it.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:34:13 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »
At least the man is taking a real and functional action, not sitting around giving lip service (or grousing incessantly on internet forums) about it.

Brad

Unless the NG is given the authority to detain and remove illegals, they'll merely be handing them to Border Patrol, who will ask them to show up in court (knowing they won't) then release them. Illegal immigrant minors are apparently not being released, but also not being deported.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/Border-Patrol-dumps-undocumented-immigrants-in-Murrieta-until-city-leaders-put-a-stop-to-it-261923781.html

I'm missing the part with "real and functional action". Please cite for us?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »
For a definition of "real", consult Mirriam-Webster.

Brad
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »
I'm actually not trying to be sarcastic, but quite serious. It looks like it's just political grandstanding or raising awareness?

Admittedly, a positive one to hopefully shame the Obama administration or Congress into doing something. I'm gathering that is the real and function part? Or maybe the notion is to give the false impression to the adult illegals that Border Patrol is not doing catch and release?

I still have no idea what CBP is planning to do with the flood of minor illegals. I'm not sure if they're legally allowed to just dump them at the border.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »
It may well have some grandstanding component, but if so it's functional grandstanding.  Boots on the ground is a damn sight better than anything the dems/libs have done, or even proposed for that matter.  Texas deals sith the lion's share of illegal border crossings, most of which are in areas so sparsly populated they might as well be the ass end of fhe moon.  Texans in those areas have been inundated with all manner of crime which the Bordrr Patrol is neither equipped, authorized, or manpowered-up enough to handle.  Getting personnel into those areas will help deal with the issue.

It helps that Guard troops are mostly regular folks, not career bureau employees, and Texans arounds these parts are notoriously supportive of our Men And Women In Uniform.  Mutually supportive troop/civilian interactions are pretty much a given and likely to be far more effective than the same number of additional BP agents.  Ditto for rediculously over-extended local law enforcement, many of whom are also Guard members.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:22:24 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »
Okay. When?  I'll make sure to have my Guard and farm/ranch buddies at the airport to help celebrate your arrival.

Brad

I have to schedule vacation at least 2 weeks in advance. To minimize the amount of vacation I'd prefer to do say a Fri-Mon deal. I'm perfectly happy to take a plane ride you pay for, and stay at a hotel you pay for, in exchange for telling some people the truth. What exactly do you think will happen anyway? Are your buddies going to yell at me? ZOMG I've never experienced that before! Are they going to assault me? That'd be funny, especially in an airport on camera. I'll be sure to look up local TX lawyers to sue their asses. The civil judgements will help pay for the guided hog hunts I'll go on. 

Unless, of course, this is merely a rhetorical device and internet tough guying. ;/

At least the man is taking a real and measurable action, not sitting around giving lip service (or grousing incessantly on internet forums) about it.

Brad

People are going to go to the border, and it certainly will costs taxpayers in TX millions of dollars. But unless they are doing something other than handing the illegals over to the feds to get sent off to the camps then I'd be hard pressed to see how it is actually accomplishing anything other than that. Illegals these days are looking for BP agents to turn themselves in to, because they know only a tiny fraction are getting deported.

If they are going to be deporting the invaders themselves I'll retract my statement. But if all they're doing is making it so the illegals have a shorter distance to walk before they get sent to the federal day spa I stand by my assessment.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 05:40:11 PM »
Balog, buddy, if you had even an inkling of what was really happening down here, or the amount of money being sucked out of the economy by the crime washing over the Texas border, you know how rediculiusly cheap paying for an additional 1000 Guard troops is for us.

As for "internet tough guying", meh.  If you're trying to be sarcastic or insulting (which you obviously are), you're out of luck.  I don't make offers I'm not willing to stick with.  But you can forget the "here's how I'll do it" business.  My dime, my time.  You fly the airline I choose,  travel on the dates I specify, stay in the hotel I pick, and meet with the people I select.  You'll also engage in the activities I list to the extent I deem adequate.  Be sure and pack a pair of old jeans and a sturdy pair of gloves.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:43:13 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
How come the crime rates aren't reflecting this?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2647897/
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 05:48:49 PM »
Brad:

I've spent plenty of time down there and it is as bad as you describe.  Illegals have been a scourge down there and only somewhat less as you more toward the interior.

Problem is, Gov Goodhair is not above grandstanding and has a crap record on illegals.  

Like I wrote:

Considering the last couple times troops have been sent tot hte border it was all eyewash, a healthy skepticism is warranted.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 06:12:16 PM »
And then there is this
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/us/texas-agencys-web-site-warns-of-border-violence.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Is there a hidden explanation for the crime trends?

I'm doubting you actually read that entire article, which gives as much support to your argument as it does to the other point of view.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gov-rick-perry-deploying-up-to-1000-national-guard-troops-to-border/
The additional resources are not aimed at the children themselves, Perry said, describing them instead as a "force multiplier" to help the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) "combat the brutal Mexican drug cartels that are preying upon our communities."

"I will not stand idly by while our citizens are under assault and little children from Central America are detained in squalor. We are too good of a country," Perry said.

The troops could detain people if asked, Texas Adjutant General John Nichols said at the press conference with Perry, but they are planning to play a "referring and deterring" role by deterring cartels with their visible presence and referring any immigrants suspected of being in the country illegally to DPS.

Perry argued that the elevated response at the border by DPS personnel has already has already acted as a deterrent force and reduced apprehensions.

Call me crazy, but I'm willing to wait and see what the NG actually does. Americans have been demanding a National Guard presence on the border for years and years. At least we're actually trying it now.

I never knew we had so many Saturday evening quarterbacks on this board.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife