Author Topic: VICTORY IN DC PALMER CASE  (Read 3946 times)

Frank Castle

• friend
VICTORY IN DC PALMER CASE
« on: July 26, 2014, 06:40:22 PM »
Justice never sleeps…. not even on a Saturday afternoon, when this opinion was just handed down.

In light of Heller, McDonald, and their progeny, there is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia’s total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny. Therefore, the Court finds that the District of Columbia’s complete ban on the carrying of handguns in public is unconstitutional. Accordingly, the Court grants Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.4 Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District.

http://alangura.com/

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: VICTORY IN DC PALMER CASE
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »
Oh boy, the legislatures and talking heads on MSNBC are gonna be squeeling like stuck little piggies when this hits the news cycle!!!

[popcorn] [popcorn] :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl:

:angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 07:28:17 PM »
Does anyone thing that this will actually change anything. =|
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »
Waitaminute......  Does this mean that DC essentially is now "constitutional carry" until they come up with a "constitutional" licensing scheme for CCW?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
That's how I read it. 

[quoteDC code 22-4504(a)]No person shall carry within the District of Columbia either openly or concealed on or about their person, a pistol, or any deadly or dangerous weapon capable of being so concealed. [/quote]

If that's unenforcable, then I can carry a gun.  Open or concealed.  Of course, as far as I know the judicial branch doesn't have an enforcement arm yo spring you, or stop DC metro from shooting you.

Maybe CSD will go see if it works?  He's nearby and gets along with cops. >:D

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Good news. Baby steps again.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »
Excellent news! Even the smallest of steps forward is still a step in the right direction.

(Screams of righteous indignation from the "They didn't repeal everything all the way back to NFA so this sucks!!" contingent beginning in 3... 2... 1... )

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
You carry I'll video it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »
Maybe CSD will go see if it works?  He's nearby and gets along with cops.

He would not get along with them after he tried it.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »
In DC no way
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
Merged threads.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 09:06:31 PM »
That's how I read it. 

If that's unenforcable, then I can carry a gun.  Open or concealed. 

When Illinois lost, the court gave them (IIRC) six months to fix it.  Anything like that here?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »
Waitaminute......  Does this mean that DC essentially is now "constitutional carry" until they come up with a "constitutional" licensing scheme for CCW?

That's what the ruling says -- in language so plain that not even a DC tile crawler could fail to understand it. And I think it was especially kind of the judge to head off another lawsuit by specifically enjoining DC from discriminating against non-residents.

the Court grants Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.4 Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District.

Link to the actual decision, courtesy of The Firing Line: http://alangura.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/DCT_OPINION.pdf

What an opinion. Considering that we all thought the judge was stonewalling the case, this decision is dynamite. If DC has any sense at all, they won't even bother to appeal. It suddenly appears that the judge was just waiting for enough other 2A cases to be decided in favor of the 2A to give him a bucketload of citations with which to pad his decision.

Now, if we can just keep the Texas Open Carry morons from descending on DC with AK-47s slung off their shouldersd, and ruining it for us, maybe things will progress in DC.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:36:57 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
Re:
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
You carry I'll video it
Dogmush will be fine, but I'm afraid that your camcorder (or cell phone) will put them in fear for their lives though.   :O

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 08:33:54 AM »
Ah DC....
Further reading reminds me that a pistol would still need to be registered to even be possessed in the district.

So someone that had a legally registered pistol can carry it. But if you want to carry yours, you'd need to get it registered in DC before you got there.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 10:16:02 AM »
Ah DC....
Further reading reminds me that a pistol would still need to be registered to even be possessed in the district.

So someone that had a legally registered pistol can carry it. But if you want to carry yours, you'd need to get it registered in DC before you got there.
Interesting. I haven't read the whole thing, but doesn't it specify that dc can't prohibit non-residents from carrying? Seems like requiring a pistol to be registered, when they can't register it, would prohibit carry by a non-resident.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 11:21:25 AM »
Interesting. I haven't read the whole thing, but doesn't it specify that dc can't prohibit non-residents from carrying? Seems like requiring a pistol to be registered, when they can't register it, would prohibit carry by a non-resident.

As far as I can tell (read the whole thing, correct me if I am wrong)
1. They CAN'T enforce a no-carry whatsoever (until they make a compliant law)
2. They CAN'T prohibit CARRY based solely on residency
3. They CAN'T prohibit registration based solely on residency (not sure on this one, but the section on the 14th seems to mean this)
4. They CAN require registration
5. They CAN require registration in order to carry (WHEN they eventually make their new law)

Also, based on the decision citing the "greatest hits" so frequently (Heller, Macdonald, Peruta, Madigan), I am also hopeful w.r.t. The registration/permit to carry being closely scrutinized w.r.t. Not running afoul of those decisions.  HOWEVER, I am pretty confident DC is going to pull a Chicago on this one and I would bet good money a second lawsuit is going to be required once they actually make a law.

If I am wrong, please correct.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
As far as I can tell (read the whole thing, correct me if I am wrong)
1. They CAN'T enforce a no-carry whatsoever (until they make a compliant law)
2. They CAN'T prohibit CARRY based solely on residency
3. They CAN'T prohibit registration based solely on residency (not sure on this one, but the section on the 14th seems to mean this)
4. They CAN require registration
5. They CAN require registration in order to carry (WHEN they eventually make their new law)

Also, based on the decision citing the "greatest hits" so frequently (Heller, Macdonald, Peruta, Madigan), I am also hopeful w.r.t. The registration/permit to carry being closely scrutinized w.r.t. Not running afoul of those decisions.  HOWEVER, I am pretty confident DC is going to pull a Chicago on this one and I would bet good money a second lawsuit is going to be required once they actually make a law.

If I am wrong, please correct.

You're not wrong, but they most likely will arrest you and make you go through all the hassle of taking them to court. Same thing as a sheriff or police chief in a state that doesn't prohibit full auto's, but who won't sign Form 4's. You can take him to court and win, but it will cost you $$$. And the next guy who comes along will be told "no", and he'll have to go to court.

I know this isn't news to anyone here. It just frustrates the hell out of me that officials can get away with this.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »
DC jail sucks.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re:
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 03:11:10 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »
Well if it is now legal in DC it should be legal nationwide.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friends
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
Voice of experience?   ;)
More than once. Worst was getting locked up Friday afternoon memorial day weekend.  Was Tuesday 6 pm before I got out. No night courts back then

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »
I would read the basis of that article is getting ready to open up national reciprocity. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re:
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »
You carry I'll video it

Common in Philly. Law is clear, but the cops don't know that. So it's an easy if slightly risky way of getting a ten thousand dollar settlement.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.