Author Topic: Scissors  (Read 857 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Scissors
« on: September 29, 2006, 06:29:27 AM »
After watching my wife struggle with our cheap scissors to cut some cloth (and having experience the problem with other materials myself), I finally broke down and bought some good scissors online.  I got a pair of 8" Gingher scissors for $16 shipped off ebay.  Talk about a night and day difference!  Do yourself a favor, if you don't have a good pair of scissors, go buy a pair.  I'm going to buy another pair for the upstairs office.  

http://www.gingher.com/

Ours look just like the pair on the front page.

Chris

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Scissors
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 07:18:13 AM »
I have gotten fed up with the quality of scissors out there.  When I was a kid (1960s) scissors were substantial things.  Today they are plastic and worthless.  I plan on getting a good pair sometime soon.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

mtnbkr

• friend
Scissors
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 07:29:47 AM »
The pair I bought feel very similar to the ones at my grandparents' homes.  In other words, they're substantial and work well.  There's not a bit of plastic in these (not counting the plastic sheath, a nice addition).

This is what I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gingher-8-Knife-Edge-Dressmaker-Shears-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ300030931376QQihZ020QQcategoryZ28171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I paid that price PLUS shipping.  

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Scissors
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 07:32:02 AM »
My wife cuts hair you don't want to know what shears cost. I can buy a nice snub nose .38 for what a pair of shears cost.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Scissors
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 09:41:18 AM »
Yea, but you can't cut hair nearly as fast with a .38, too many reloads would be necessary and that would slow you down.

Yea, I should get a decent pair of scissors myself. I have these old monsters that have seen better days.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Third_Rail

• friend
Scissors
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 09:51:49 AM »
No kidding about shears for hairdressers! My wife is a hairdresser, and I could've bought a decent used car for what the shears cost...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Scissors
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 09:57:48 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Yea, but you can't cut hair nearly as fast with a .38, too many reloads would be necessary and that would slow you down.
Upgrade to a .357 and singe the hair off
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Scissors
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 10:03:33 AM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
I have gotten fed up with the quality of scissors out there.  When I was a kid (1960s) scissors were substantial things.  Today they are plastic and worthless.  I plan on getting a good pair sometime soon.
+1. When I was a kid my mother had a pair of steel scissors that were built like a tank. When they got dull dad would take them down to the work bench and "dress" the edges a little and they'd be good as new. I'm 43 now. Those scissors are still in mom's kitchen drawer and they work just fine after all these years.

Try that with a pair of those plastic scissors with the metal insterts they sell in the stores now.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
Scissors
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 04:36:58 PM »
My wife is a quilter and she has 2 pair of gingher scissors that only cut fabric.  They are the best.
My hair cutting shears are a pair of used barbers shears.
Brian
<><
:)