Author Topic: Inventories of War: Soldiers Kit from 1066 to the present.  (Read 2356 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Inventories of War: Soldiers Kit from 1066 to the present.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 12:45:15 AM »
Great link.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:46:50 AM »
That's A FAL in the last pic, shouldn't it be an SA-80/L85?

Still a powerful presentation.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 01:10:44 AM »
My 8 year old will have tons of fun looking at that.
Formerly sumpnz

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:57:22 AM »
Slideshow pointedly excludes the type of kit that was hastily dropped on the road back to Boston.  >:D  And no PT belts in sight, no wonder history was so bloody bloody.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 03:31:12 AM »
That's A FAL in the last pic, shouldn't it be an SA-80/L85?

Still a powerful presentation.
The FAL is in the second last picture, included in the kit of a Royal Marine Commando from 1982, which is correct for the era. The L85 is included in the last picture, in the kit of a close-support sapper from 2014.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 09:04:05 AM »
Directly to the right of the L85 is a long wooden kind of looking thing.

What is it? I'm thinking it's something for door breaching, but I'm not sure.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 09:23:56 AM »
Sure carry a lot more crap in the mechanized era.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 09:44:07 AM »
In the 1944 photo they're showing a Sten Mk V. Interesting, as it shows the magazine housing rotated to cover the feed and ejection ports, which makes it look as if it's a bottom feed gun.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 10:51:02 AM »
I wonder about the comparative weights of each kit.  I've read in the past that the weight of total kit remains relatively constant through history.  I can't say how accurate the assessment is.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 11:02:58 AM »

That wooden thing looks like a surveyor's levelng rod.  Mighty handy thing for an Engineer to have.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 11:41:16 AM »
I found it interesting that the common soldier continued to carry a sword until long after their gear included rifles (or muskets, as the case may be).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
In the 1944 photo they're showing a Sten Mk V. Interesting, as it shows the magazine housing rotated to cover the feed and ejection ports, which makes it look as if it's a bottom feed gun.
They got a lot of ammo issued. I'm counting 14, possibly 16 magazines, depending on if those two mag pouches above the belt (?) hold 3 or 4 mags each.
Also, what is that rope thingy to the left of the jacket up on the left?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 12:07:44 PM »
That wooden thing looks like a surveyor's levelng rod.  Mighty handy thing for an Engineer to have.

stay safe.

But, that's a Sapper's Kit. They're part of the Royal Engineers, but they're not engineers. They blow *expletive deleted*it up.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 12:20:11 PM »
They got a lot of ammo issued. I'm counting 14, possibly 16 magazines, depending on if those two mag pouches above the belt (?) hold 3 or 4 mags each.
Also, what is that rope thingy to the left of the jacket up on the left?

Apparently those pouches could each hold up to 6 32-round magazines. I'm finding a lot of pictures on the web, but not a lot of specs....

Hum... OK, I've found a page with history of the equipment of the British Airborne. Apparently those pouches were called "basic" pouches and were part of the Pattern 1937 web gear, and could be used for lots of things.

http://www.1stairborne.com/webgear.html

The rope thingy is a commando toggle rope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toggle_ropes

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 01:01:56 PM »
I wonder about the comparative weights of each kit.  I've read in the past that the weight of total kit remains relatively constant through history.  I can't say how accurate the assessment is.
I've noted that from many sources. I've also heard it suggested that old kits including armor and stuff actually carried better due to the weight being spread out over the entire body. When you really look at a suit of armor, it's not all that bad. Chain mail is naturally flexible, plate has fully articulating joints everywhere you bend naturally, etc. and it's spread out from head to toe so the theory isn't entirely without merit IMO.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »
I was actually wondering the other day about older armies, like the Romans. What did you carry when you were off subjugating most of the known world? How was it carried? Lots of easily accessible history on the weapons and armor, but what was a roman road march like? I imagine that soldiers will be soldiers no matter the age. Did gear get personalized, did Marcus steal a mule and everyone in the century piled their extra gear on it? What about the quartermaster? How did you feed all those angry latins?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 03:21:32 PM »
I was actually wondering the other day about older armies, like the Romans. What did you carry when you were off subjugating most of the known world? How was it carried? Lots of easily accessible history on the weapons and armor, but what was a roman road march like? I imagine that soldiers will be soldiers no matter the age. Did gear get personalized, did Marcus steal a mule and everyone in the century piled their extra gear on it? What about the quartermaster? How did you feed all those angry latins?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_military_personal_equipment

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »
The FAL is in the second last picture, included in the kit of a Royal Marine Commando from 1982, which is correct for the era. The L85 is included in the last picture, in the kit of a close-support sapper from 2014.

Well crap. I thought that was the last pic. Curse me for a fool. Though, in my opinion, the rifle in the last pic should also be a FAL.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »

They could make the Jews or other subjugated peoples carry their gear.  But only for a mile at a time.
Formerly sumpnz

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 05:22:43 PM »
Well crap. I thought that was the last pic. Curse me for a fool. Though, in my opinion, the rifle in the last pic should also be a FAL.
To quote from ARRSEpedia, about the L1A1 SLR: "A real rifle, one that's properly Squaddy Proof.".

From same ARRSEpedia, the SA-80 rifle: "At the first Services rifle meeting at Bisley after general issue of the SA80, squaddies could be seen relaxing in the sun and wearing T-shirts made by the late, great Pete Bloom which bore an outline of the SA80 in profile, and the legend :Designed by the Ignorant, Built by the Incompetent, Issued to the Unfortunate.A passing general who'd come to distribute prizes had a sense-of-humour failure and had the T-shirts banned as "bad for morale"."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »

According to the annotated pictures it is a "Bar mine - anti-tank landmine."
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
According to the annotated pictures it is a "Bar mine - anti-tank landmine."

Well, that does make more sense than a leveling rod for a sapper...unless they need crater depth for bragging rights.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
Oh man nice pull on the annotated pictures! Thanks!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
Whatever happened to blocks of C-4 stuffed in a sock coated with axel grease?  Or is (f)GB so wrapped up in doing things by the numbers?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.