Author Topic: James Brady, White House press secretary under Reagan, dies  (Read 7373 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
James Brady, White House press secretary under Reagan, dies
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:16:26 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/04/james-brady-white-house-press-secretary-under-reagan-dies/

I forgot until I read this article that he wasn't totally on board with his wife in regards to gun control. 
Sarah Brady became involved in gun-control efforts in 1985, and later chaired Handgun Control Inc., but Brady took a few more years to join her, and Reagan did not endorse their efforts until 10 years after he was shot. Reagan's surprise endorsement -- he was a longtime National Rifle Association member and opponent of gun control laws -- began to turn the tide in Congress.

"They're not going to accuse him of being some bed-wetting liberal, no way can they do that," said Brady, who had become an active lobbyist for the bill.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: James Brady, White House press secretary under Reagan, dies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »
Reagan endorsed gun control? So many conservative heads a exploding now...

ETA: he supported both the AWB in 94 and the Brady bill. What a great conservative leader he was. Where oh where can we find a modern Reagan?!?!?!?!

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-05-05/news/mn-54185_1_assault-weapons-ban

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:00:18 PM by Balog »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 04:04:13 PM »
Reagan endorsed gun control? So many conservative heads a exploding now...

Reagan was a Fudd, or close to it.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-05-05/news/mn-54185_1_assault-weapons-ban/2

May 3, 1994

To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives:

We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assualt weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime.

Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »
He was also well down the Alzheimer's disease path by then and probably easily manipulated by other forces.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:26:48 PM »
He was also well down the Alzheimer's disease path by then and probably easily manipulated by other forces.
Beat me to it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 03:30:47 AM »
Meh, he was anti gun in California, had a mixed record as President, and supported gun control again afterwards. He was a politician, so I'll take deeds over words and by that measure he was somewhere between indifferent and anti.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 05:17:54 AM »

Almost like being shot in the head, thereafter being questionably competent but used to advance an agenda anyway.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 06:52:50 AM »
I was surprised to see Nancy chimed in.  Probably a handler pulling a canned response from a file and adding James' name.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 07:41:08 AM »
Different era, the right to bear arms movement wasn't as pervasive back then.

Brady and Reagan were products of a different time and were wrong on the gun issue to a large extent.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »
Reagan did own an AR-15.  Possibly he signed the AW ban letter because of the disease process interferring with his mind (plus guilt from Brady). 

His record in CA wasn't great, unfortunately, so it's hard to say for sure.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »
Interesting picture.  And, of course, finger on the trigger, no magazine, flunkies close at hand.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
Almost like being shot in the head, thereafter being questionably competent but used to advance an agenda anyway.

Ayup. It's funny how so many folks vehemently defend Reagan (despite his anti gun track record in CA, and mixed results in his Presidency) because of possible Alzheimers, but hate on the man who literally got shot in the head.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »
Ayup. It's funny how so many folks vehemently defend Reagan (despite his anti gun track record in CA, and mixed results in his Presidency) because of possible Alzheimers, but hate on the man who literally got shot in the head.

Yes considering that he took his time getting on board and probably was "pushed" into it from his wife.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 06:51:17 PM »
Reagan was first last and always a politician. He sold out his membership when he was union pres so his gun positions should come as no surprise
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
IMO, Reagan's legacy lies more with economic changes and the Cold War than anything else.  If you look at things from a single issue perspective, I can see where you wouldn't like him.  Of course, I am not sure who the last President was that you would like.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »
IMO, Reagan's legacy lies more with economic changes and the Cold War than anything else.  If you look at things from a single issue perspective, I can see where you wouldn't like him.  Of course, I am not sure who the last President was that you would like.

I don't dislike him at all. I just grow tired of the exuberant posthumous fellatio everyone in the GOP bestows on a guy who, at the end of the day, was just a politician.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 11:23:58 PM »
I don't dislike him at all. I just grow tired of the exuberant posthumous fellatio everyone in the GOP bestows on a guy who, at the end of the day, was just a politician.
Well, he WAS certainly a politician.
Perhaps a particularly good one.
After 4 years of Jimmy "Peanut" Carter, I think we needed Reagan.  After the Carter miasma we needed someone who made us feel good about our country, and Reagan did that.  He did it well.  It didn't make him a saint, hardly made him perfect.
But it did make him a great communicator.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »
Well, he WAS certainly a politician.
Perhaps a particularly good one.
After 4 years of Jimmy "Peanut" Carter, I think we needed Reagan.  After the Carter miasma we needed someone who made us feel good about our country, and Reagan did that.  He did it well.  It didn't make him a saint, hardly made him perfect.
But it did make him a great communicator.

Voting for someone because they make you feel all warm and fuzzy is how we got Obama x2.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 05:35:29 AM »

I'm more hating on the people who used Jim Brady and are currently using the more sympathetic Brady 2.0, Gabby Giffords. Listen to her talk, don't think she'll ever be all there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 07:28:28 AM »
Reagan (along with Brady) started a course that could have led to even greater things for America. Small government pro liberty folks at least had a seat at the table with the Reagan administration.

HW Bush fumbled the ball after the hand off from Reagan; Newt picked it up and ran it down the field a ways and then fumbled it himself.

Newt, GW along with Denny Hastert have nearly destroyed the "Republican brand". The public now associates limited government and economic freedom with an era of Republican statism and crony capitalism. Not to mention all the military adventurism.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:33:14 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 08:10:40 AM »
Voting for someone because they make you feel all warm and fuzzy is how we got Obama x2.

Except Reagan wasn't actively trying to bring down the country.  When someone reported the economy grew at 4% back then, it was likely true. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
I'm more hating on the people who used Jim Brady and are currently using the more sympathetic Brady 2.0, Gabby Giffords. Listen to her talk, don't think she'll ever be all there.

Giffords husband is a thoroughly vile and evil man.

Reagan (along with Brady) started a course that could have led to even greater things for America. Small government pro liberty folks at least had a seat at the table with the Reagan administration.

HW Bush fumbled the ball after the hand off from Reagan; Newt picked it up and ran it down the field a ways and then fumbled it himself.

Newt, GW along with Denny Hastert have nearly destroyed the "Republican brand". The public now associates limited government and economic freedom with an era of Republican statism and crony capitalism. Not to mention all the military adventurism.

"Voodoo economics." "No new taxes."

And of course the massive fail on every level that was Dubya.

Except Reagan wasn't actively trying to bring down the country.  When someone reported the economy grew at 4% back then, it was likely true. 

Obama is unique in the whole "mentored by crazed racists and domestic terrorists" aspect. But that really reinforces my point. He said he was planning to destroy the country and Constitution (fundamental change) and people voted because of their feels.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 12:37:41 PM »

Balog, Obama is an empty suit.  He never so much as governed a lemonade stand.
Reagan ran the Screen Actors Guild and was governor of California, which is more experience when he was sleeping than President Emptysuit ever knew in his life.
I didn't coin the term "great communicator" for Reagan I borrowed it.  Reagan took Carter's recession and turned it around into a time of prosperity, he went up against the Soviet Union and was instrumental in bringing down that evil system.
To try mention him in the same breath as Obama is sacrilige.  I ought to hunt you down for it -- I won't 'cause we're friends and all and you've made many intelligent points on this site, but you STEPPED in it this time, buddy.

And just what the **** is that stupid line drawing supposed to be anyway?  Two space aliens?    

There's a story about Abraham Lincoln.  He didn't always have that beard, you know.  He had a rather sallow face, and a serious visage; it made him look a bit harsh.  A young girl once sent him a letter suggesting he grow a beard as it would soften his looks, make him appear more wise and genial.  You know, he did grow it, and it worked!
Sure the beard didn't actually change who he was, and didn't add a point to his IQ.

Whether you like it of not there ARE superficial reasons why we vote for candidates.  Go back and examine the 1960 Kennedy vs. Nixon race.  Escpecially the TV debate.   Those who watched the TV broadcast usually credit Kennedy as winner while those who only heard the radio credit Nixon as winner.  It is known Nixon was sick and refused TV make-up, while Kennedy was in top form physically, though perhaps not so much as a debater.
Anyhow, Nixon lost, but got his chance eight years later notwithstanding having a teleprsence that always reminded me of a sweating bulldog.

It's important for voters to go beyond the superficial, for sure.  But don't kid yourself the superficial will always be there and will be best exploited by those for whom it works best.  
That's politics.  
Reagan was a serious contender....
Obama was, is, and will die, an empty suit.
We get the government we so richly deserve. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 12:46:53 PM »
That's a lot of emoting and blathering that has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I've said because I hurt your feels. You're kind of proving my point here man. It has nothing to do with Reagan or Obama, it has to do with why people voted for them. I was not comparing them as Presidents or men (in fact I specified that Obama was a unique case among POTUS') I was comparing the cult-like following an folks voting based on emotion and feels.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »
Reagan's actions as sag president are not his brightest moment. Even overlooking his heading a union
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I