Author Topic: James Brady, White House press secretary under Reagan, dies  (Read 7375 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: James Brady, White House press secretary under Reagan, dies
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
That's a lot of emoting and blathering that has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I've said because I hurt your feels. You're kind of proving my point here man. It has nothing to do with Reagan or Obama, it has to do with why people voted for them. I was not comparing them as Presidents or men (in fact I specified that Obama was a unique case among POTUS') I was comparing the cult-like following an folks voting based on emotion and feels.

You didn't hurt my feelings, you're missing my point.... :facepalm:

BTW:  I know this is beside the point but those drawings are awfully creepy, Balog.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 12:55:27 PM »
Reagan's actions as sag president are not his brightest moment. Even overlooking his heading a union
So?  No one ever said Reagan was perfect.    You can actually learn a lot by doing a bad job at things.
Reagan's presidency wasn't perfect either.   He granted amnesty to illegals that spectacularly backfired.  Just about every pundit that remarks on this reightfully criticizes Reagan for this. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »
You didn't hurt my feelings, you're missing my point.... :facepalm:

BTW:  I know this is beside the point but those drawings are awfully creepy, Balog.

No, I get your point. Reagan was awesome, and you hate Obama. The rest is just emoting.

I think the current obsession with Reagan among the GOP is unhealthy. As you note, it is most likely due to (among the older generations) how much better he was than Carter. Among the folks too young to remember his terms, it's most likely due to sheer ignorance of his actual positions and actions. Either way it's a bad idea.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-know-that-feel-bro
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »
No, I get your point. Reagan was awesome, and you hate Obama. The rest is just emoting.

I think the current obsession with Reagan among the GOP is unhealthy. As you note, it is most likely due to (among the older generations) how much better he was than Carter. Among the folks too young to remember his terms, it's most likely due to sheer ignorance of his actual positions and actions. Either way it's a bad idea.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-know-that-feel-bro
:mad:  Where'd I say Reagan was "awesome?" ? ? ?    ?? ??
You insist you didn't miss my point while demonstrating you absolutly DID miss it!!!!!! :facepalm:

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »
:mad:  Where'd I say Reagan was "awesome?" ? ? ?    ?? ??
You insist you didn't miss my point while demonstrating you absolutly DID miss it!!!!!! :facepalm:

Reagan ran the Screen Actors Guild and was governor of California, which is more experience when he was sleeping than President Emptysuit ever knew in his life.
I didn't coin the term "great communicator" for Reagan I borrowed it.  Reagan took Carter's recession and turned it around into a time of prosperity, he went up against the Soviet Union and was instrumental in bringing down that evil system.
To try mention him in the same breath as Obama is sacrilige.

You obviously like the dude, and that's cool. I like him too. Nothing I've said was really a commentary on Reagan per se, just about the mystique and pedestal putting that has gone on with him lately.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »
So?  No one ever said Reagan was perfect.    You can actually learn a lot by doing a bad job at things.
Reagan's presidency wasn't perfect either.   He granted amnesty to illegals that spectacularly backfired.  Just about every pundit that remarks on this reightfully criticizes Reagan for this.

He didn't do a "bad job"per se. He did act as an undercover informant against members of his own union along with wife 1. And making that more questionable is the fact that he benefited greatly from making actors he competed with unemployable.
He exhibited a most flexible morality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »
He didn't do a "bad job"per se. He did act as an undercover informant against members of his own union along with wife 1. And making that more questionable is the fact that he benefited greatly from making actors he competed with unemployable.
He exhibited a most flexible morality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Isn't that the quintessential definition of a politician -- or a lawyer, for that matter? >:D

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »
Quote from: Balog
Quote from:  TommyGunn
Where'd I say Reagan was "awesome?" ? ? ?    ?? ??
You insist you didn't miss my point while demonstrating you absolutly DID miss it!!!!!! 

Reagan ran the Screen Actors Guild and was governor of California, which is more experience when he was sleeping than President Emptysuit ever knew in his life.
I didn't coin the term "great communicator" for Reagan I borrowed it.  Reagan took Carter's recession and turned it around into a time of prosperity, he went up against the Soviet Union and was instrumental in bringing down that evil system.

That isn't hardly calling him "awesome!"   

Quote from: Balog
You obviously like the dude, and that's cool. I like him too. Nothing I've said was really a commentary on Reagan per se, just about the mystique and pedestal putting that has gone on with him lately.

OK.
 ;)

I guess I just don't see anyone out there putting him on a pedestal.   ???

Oh well.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 01:43:38 PM »

That isn't hardly calling him "awesome!"   

OK.
 ;)

I guess I just don't see anyone out there putting him on a pedestal.   ???

Oh well.

Really?!?!?!?! Did you watch the primary debates? It was like a contest to see who could compare their policies to Reagan the most times. Hell, even Obama has jumped on that train and tried to compare whatever stupid thing he was pushing to a Reagan policy. At some point in the 2016 primaries I'm expecting a candidate to just walk out in a Reagan mask and start giving the "tear down this wall" speech.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 02:04:59 PM »
For what it's worth, which is admittedly bupkis...

I do think if he were President TODAY, or sometime after 1994, Reagan would be pretty solidly on the pro-RKBA side.

RKBA had not yet completely gelled as a platform plank in the "culture war" in America, the abuses by the BATF at Ruby Ridge and Waco hadn't happened, the CCW wave (and it's success... or at least utter lack of harm) hadn't swept America, The SCOTUS cases affirming RKBA and the individual-right hadn't happened.

With the import ban EO, the actions against carry in reaction to the Black Panthers as Governor of California, and Hughes Amendment aside, the massive good the '86 FOPA did for gun owners, I tend to take it all as more individualistic reactions to the given events, and not part of a larger overall RKBA strategy or ideology.

I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 06:33:06 PM »
Really?!?!?!?! Did you watch the primary debates? It was like a contest to see who could compare their policies to Reagan the most times. Hell, even Obama has jumped on that train and tried to compare whatever stupid thing he was pushing to a Reagan policy. At some point in the 2016 primaries I'm expecting a candidate to just walk out in a Reagan mask and start giving the "tear down this wall" speech.

Let's not conflate political theater with pedestalization (or idolatory ... )  ESPECIALLY when Obama does it. 
Obama comparing himself to Reagan?  :rofl:   Did Hitler compare himself to Mother Theresa?  Did Ghenghis Khan compare himself to St. Thomas Aquinas?     Did Martin Luther compare himself to Satan? 
Oh jeeesh, I could go on. 
Primary debates = Political Theater.  Remember that equation.   

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
Let's not conflate political theater with pedestalization (or idolatory ... )  ESPECIALLY when Obama does it. 
Obama comparing himself to Reagan:rofl:   Did Hitler compare himself to Mother Theresa?  Did Ghenghis Khan compare himself to St. Thomas Aquinas?     Did Martin Luther compare himself to Satan? 

I don't know how I came to the conclusion you thought he was awesome...

Seriously though, read any mainstream conservative news source. Reagan is spoken of reverently, and "who's policy is most Reaganesque" is a common selling point.

All politics is theater and nothing more. Remember that.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: James Brady, White House press secretary under Reagan, dies
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 11:06:42 PM »
Balog...

Reagan was wise enough to realize he could not do it all in one or two terms.  So he prioritized.  In 1980 the biggest problems were stagflation and worldwide communist domination.

His first term he went after inflation with a vengence and took real risks.  He knew that bringing inflation down would spark a recession.  He did it anyway and stopped kicking the can down the road. 
He hammered communism mercilessly both terms and can be rightfully credited with stopping for a while the worldwide slide into oppression.

He did not win all his battles and he surely compromised on or let hang issues he thought of lesser importance.

He was no dummy and i would suggest reading the columns and radio commentaries he authored. 

Comparing him with bho is asinine.  He left the presidency with an america stronger economocally militarily and morale-ly.  His terms in office ended with more humans living in freedom.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 11:41:55 PM »

Quote from: TommyGunn
Obama comparing himself to Reagan?     Did Hitler compare himself to Mother Theresa?  Did Ghenghis Khan compare himself to St. Thomas Aquinas?     Did Martin Luther compare himself to Satan? 

You take too much from sarcasm. 

Seriously though, read any mainstream conservative news source. Reagan is spoken of reverently, and "who's policy is most Reaganesque" is a common selling point.

All politics is theater and nothing more. Remember that.

Reagan is spoken of respectfully by many conservative news people.  "Reverently?"   
And not all politics is theater.   The German Third Reich may have been "politics" but I think calling it theater would horribly demean the ten million plus who died as a result of endlosung and other Nazi progroms.

American politics may not be so morbid but considering what a national debt of 17+ trillion and growing will do to this country, eventually, I wouldn't call much of it "theater," either.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 02:48:27 AM »
Balog...

Reagan was wise enough to realize he could not do it all in one or two terms.  So he prioritized.  In 1980 the biggest problems were stagflation and worldwide communist domination.

His first term he went after inflation with a vengence and took real risks.  He knew that bringing inflation down would spark a recession.  He did it anyway and stopped kicking the can down the road.  
He hammered communism mercilessly both terms and can be rightfully credited with stopping for a while the worldwide slide into oppression.

He did not win all his battles and he surely compromised on or let hang issues he thought of lesser importance.

He was no dummy and i would suggest reading the columns and radio commentaries he authored.  

Comparing him with bho is asinine.  He left the presidency with an america stronger economocally militarily and morale-ly.  His terms in office ended with more humans living in freedom.

1 I was comparing the mentality displayed by Reagan fans today to that of Obama voters. Not the men, their voters.
2. His amnesty was the first rock down the hill of the invasion we are seeing now. His limp wristing Muslim terror contributed to the subsequent attacks. His deficits were massive. He was a hardline drug warrior. He supplied lots of arms to lots of terrorists.
3. He did some good things, he did some horrible things. He was just a politician. I'm not trying to take away from his good, but I damn sure won't whitewash his bad like so many seem hellbent on doing.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 02:49:49 AM »

You take too much from sarcasm. 

Reagan is spoken of respectfully by many conservative news people.  "Reverently?"   
And not all politics is theater.   The German Third Reich may have been "politics" but I think calling it theater would horribly demean the ten million plus who died as a result of endlosung and other Nazi progroms.

American politics may not be so morbid but considering what a national debt of 17+ trillion and growing will do to this country, eventually, I wouldn't call much of it "theater," either.

Wars, genocide, destroyed economies etc are by products of politics. They are the results of the theater.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »
1 I was comparing the mentality displayed by Reagan fans today to that of Obama voters. Not the men, their voters.

How about comparing Obama voters with Kennedy voters, or Abe Lincoln voters, or Teddy Roosevelt voters, FDR voters.  I'm sure that you'll find very many similarities there as well.

2. His amnesty was the first rock down the hill of the invasion we are seeing now. His limp wristing Muslim terror contributed to the subsequent attacks. His deficits were massive. He was a hardline drug warrior. He supplied lots of arms to lots of terrorists.

His deficits were NOTHING compared to what we're stuck with today.  Everyone complains about his deficits.  Wow.  He cut taxes and stimulated an economy -- by year 6 in his administration we were doing MUCH better than we are after 6 years of Obama. At the end of his administration government revenue had essentially doubled.
What people forget is Reagan also raised taxes.  That's right.  People who think we need to raise taxes to pay down debts forget this.  Well, he did -- and there were STILL deficits.  Raising taxes didn't help.
Remember TEFRA?  Reagan raised taxes but in the deal he made with congress there'd also be spending reduction measure.  Well, he got the tax raise but kongress reniged on the spending cuts.

How is it he "limp wristed" Muslim terrorists?   Yes he pulled out after the attack on the Marine Barracks in lebanon, but he also later shelled the terrorists' quarters later.
Try keeping in mind EVERYTHING changed on September 11, 2001.  You can also claim Clinton limpwristed Muslim terrorists.  He was offered Bin Laden on a silver platter and refused.  Before the Twin Towers went down it was largely perceived as a law & order problem, not a war. 
The problem is Obama has gone back to the "law & order" concept ....

"He supplied lots of arms to lots of terrorists." ~~ Balog.
You're refering to the "arms for hostages" deal done by Oliver North?   You do realize he took responsibility for that inspite of it being Colonel North's brilliant machination.   
It is true that ought not have happened, however those self same terrorists would have been using Soviet equipment if not ours.  We were hardly the only country engaged in arms trafficking.  The Soviets were much bigger into that -- the AK-47 is ubiquitous in the arsenals of terror organizations as a result.

3. He did some good things, he did some horrible things. He was just a politician. I'm not trying to take away from his good, but I damn sure won't whitewash his bad like so many seem hellbent on doing.

Is there any politician whom you do really admire?
And be  forwarned thye better not have any skeletons in their closets or else ...... =D :O [popcorn]

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »
The whole side debate, while entertaining, is made moot by one simple phrase: "Four more years of Jimmy Carter."

Re: the OP, what happened to James Brady was unfortunate. The legacy of the unfortunate event would have been treated much more kindly in history with the creation of the Brady Center to Prevent Voices-In-My-Head Violence.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »
Holder sells guns to cartels, impeach Obama! North sells guns to cartels, oh well you know they'd just them somewhere anyway. Lulz.

And I'm pointing out the similarity between Obamatards and Reaganbots because both are on the scene and active. I doubt the FDR voter block has much away in current elections.

Politicians I like or admire? Nope, drawing a blank.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 12:06:28 PM »

Well atleast you're honest.

I, OTOH, sorta feel bad for being a Reagan supporter all this time.  I didn't ever truly "get" the true depths of his profound evil depravity.  [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn]

:rofl:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »
Holder sells guns to cartels, impeach Obama! North sells guns to cartels, oh well you know they'd just them somewhere anyway. Lulz.

And I'm pointing out the similarity between Obamatards and Reaganbots because both are on the scene and active. I doubt the FDR voter block has much away in current elections.

There's still a pretty big difference.

However misguided, Oliver North was trying to further the policy aims of America when he did the "Arms for Hostages" in Iran-Contra.

Obama/Holder/ATF were deliberately supplying guns to entities who operate on and over our border with Mexico, as an intentional false-flag operation to create a case for depriving Americans of their RKBA.

Everyone is different, but personally, I see an order of magnitude's difference between the two scandals.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 02:55:10 PM »

Well atleast you're honest.

I, OTOH, sorta feel bad for being a Reagan supporter all this time.  I didn't ever truly "get" the true depths of his profound evil depravity.  [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn]

:rofl:

Yup, any degree of criticism whatsoever means I'm saying he's evil. You're on to me.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »
Yup, any degree of criticism whatsoever means I'm saying he's evil. You're on to me.

Aw come on ... just a wee bit of sarcasm . . . . . .  :angel:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 09:41:53 PM »
However misguided, Oliver North was trying to further the policy aims of America when he did the "Arms for Hostages" in Iran-Contra

Wasn't North a Lt. Col. when Iran/Contra was going on?
Does an O-5 really have the horse power to pull of what was done with out approval and direct support and involvement from much higher up the chain of command?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »
Reagan had battleships pound Hezboallah like a screen door in a hurricane with 16" shells, doing all sorts of urban renewal after pulling out the jarheads.  If only subsequent POTUSes learned from that lesson.

Getting 1500 HATGMs to Iran to prolong the Iran/Iraq war was all upside. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton