Author Topic: bunch of namby-pamby spoilsports  (Read 753 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
bunch of namby-pamby spoilsports
« on: August 04, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-videos/this-is-how-you-test-a-wheel-that-will-go-1100-mph 

It's a fascinating look at what needs to happen to ensure a vehicle can break the sound barrier, on land, safely.

And to think, back in the Wild West days of land speed racing, the best measure of whether a part would fail or not was to bolt it on and hit the salt. If the car didn't cartwheel and explode at 400 mph, everything was gravy. I have to think it's a bit better now.

That plus they are betting on the weight of the test chamber lid (a mere 10,200 kg) to contain any catastrophic failure.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: bunch of namby-pamby spoilsports
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »
Rollie Free is turning over in his grave.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:27:26 PM »
"Rollie Free is turning over in his grave."

But at only 1 RPM.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
The article mentions that when spinning, at full speed the wheel heats to over 200F from air friction.

But - spinning it in a test chamber doesn't fully account for air passing over the balance of the wheel at 1100 MPH or the effects of load on the wheel . . . I wonder how they're accounting for that?

And I wonder how they're accounting for things like boundary layers, compressibility, etc . . . I'm not an aerodynamic engineer, but these would seem to be non-trivial effects.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
I was thinking more about wheel bearing temps but those probably are not aluminum.  I would have thought the stresses alone would be too much for aluminum wheels.  They might need to end up with titanium or something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 07:35:03 AM »
Just think of the heat evolved by the internal air (or gas) being pumped around the tires.

I wonder, once you get up to speed, do you even need any gas in the tires, or would centrifugal force hold them out?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 07:51:47 AM »
Just think of the heat evolved by the internal air (or gas) being pumped around the tires.

I wonder, once you get up to speed, do you even need any gas in the tires, or would centrifugal force hold them out?

There aren't any tires, its a solid disk/rim

I was thinking more about wheel bearing temps but those probably are not aluminum.  I would have thought the stresses alone would be too much for aluminum wheels.  They might need to end up with titanium or something. 

Aluminum is in this case almost as good or better than titanium.  What matters under this kind of loading is "specific strength" (tensile strength divided by density) which makes aluminum and titanium very nearly the same, but the added thermal conductivity of aluminum (and greater flexibility) gives it an edge (not to mention titanium at that size is both unbelievably expensive and prone to microcracks that for most structures are okay, but for high cycle structures like a wheel, are bad)

The article mentions that when spinning, at full speed the wheel heats to over 200F from air friction.

But - spinning it in a test chamber doesn't fully account for air passing over the balance of the wheel at 1100 MPH or the effects of load on the wheel . . . I wonder how they're accounting for that?

And I wonder how they're accounting for things like boundary layers, compressibility, etc . . . I'm not an aerodynamic engineer, but these would seem to be non-trivial effects.

The load is actually minuscule compared to the tensile load from the spinning.  At 10krpm and 1m in radius, the acceleration at the edge is 1000g, meaning the tensile load is >>> the compressive (weight of car) load

Also, on airflow, the heating is actually dominated by the air on the upper edge, where the wheel's rotation brings the edge forward into the air, so its hitting air at 2200mph.  The air over the side of the wheel averages half that (and the stagnation energy of the air goes with the square of the speed).