Author Topic: Woo-hoo - we made the Drudge Report!  (Read 83156 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re:
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
Driving cross country with family tomorrow.  Will be upgrading defenses and not going near Chicago

Stay away from West St Louis also.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
Re:
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »
Driving cross country with family tomorrow.  Will be upgrading defenses and not going near Chicago

That's just generally a good idea.

Side, semi related note:  One of the things I have found to like the most about my AR/w Sig Brace, is as far as the law, traveling and my CCW it's a pistol :angel: which has some advantages for better concealed firepower in the car or hotel room.  Not to mention traveling with an SBR is more paperworky than a pistol.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re:
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2014, 10:34:51 AM »
Driving cross country with family tomorrow.  Will be upgrading defenses and not going near Chicago

Good plan. Interestingly, I saw that a police shooting of an allegedly handcuffed black man in Los Angeles on Monday was quiet for a couple of days, but then created a minor protest/riot/looting situation yesterday because of copycating on the Ferguson news, so while chances are low that you'll run into trouble, they're certainly higher than normal.

On a side note, I guess a good thing coming out of all this is that I saw on Fox news that there's now bipartisan support for reducing the availability of military equipment to LE. Where I fully agree with Dogmush's post regarding the snipers, etc., I wonder how this would have escalated or not had the cops remained in Andy Taylor mode a while longer. Perhaps there would have been more shouting and less destruction. Once looting and property destruction start however, I have no problems with tear gas and rubber (or real) bullets aimed at valid targets.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Woo-hoo - we made the Drudge Report!
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2014, 10:58:52 AM »
. . . They were pulling 'white' people out of their cars and beating them . . .
Was vehicular traffic that badly gridlocked, or did the victims forget they were behind the wheel of a 3000 lb, 200hp battering ram?

With all the looting the news says is going on, I'm actually kind of surprised we haven't read about an armed shopkeeper stacking up a bunch of goons in the entrance of his store as they surged through a broken door or window . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re:
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2014, 11:14:05 AM »
That's just generally a good idea.

Side, semi related note:  One of the things I have found to like the most about my AR/w Sig Brace, is as far as the law, traveling and my CCW it's a pistol :angel: which has some advantages for better concealed firepower in the car or hotel room.  Not to mention traveling with an SBR is more paperworky than a pistol.

Because cops that shoot an unarmed man with his hands over his head and the family Labrador Retriever will see your Sig Brace and say "Oh! Sig Brace! You're good to go Mr. dogmush!"  :rofl:

'Sokay... I get it. I'm a big proponent of the Sig Brace for it's legal advantages over a SBR as well, but you have to admit, on it's face, that's funny.  =D
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »
Was vehicular traffic that badly gridlocked, or did the victims forget they were behind the wheel of a 3000 lb, 200hp battering ram?

People don't like to think of it that way.  If they did, there would be more liability attached to using it to intimidate people in traffic.

What will they say now if the guy did just rob a store?

Considering his buddy and key witness's mouthpiece rolled on him, I guess we get to find out.

Johnson’s lawyer confirmed to MSNBC on Friday that Brown had taken the cigars from the store.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:42:29 AM by KD5NRH »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michael-brown-shooting/ferguson-chief-names-darren-wilson-cop-who-shot-michael-brown-n181326

What will they say now if the guy did just rob a store?

jim

That it's okay to shoot suspected robbers who have their hands in the air...?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
Re:
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
Because cops that shoot an unarmed man with his hands over his head and the family Labrador Retriever will see your Sig Brace and say "Oh! Sig Brace! You're good to go Mr. dogmush!"  :rofl:

No definitely not. I draw one of those guys I'm probably hosed.  But the guy one that pulls me over for 82 in a 70 on I-95 might be swayed by the whole "it's a pistol" thing.  Failing that, it should keep me out of jail in the aftermath of the traffic stop.  

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Woo-hoo - we made the Drudge Report!
« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »
Ok to shoot?

Depends more on what the cop believed. If he had just got smacked around by a robbery suspect who grabbed for his gun that same guy turning to face him again better not lean forward or it might be perceived as round 2.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »
So, officer responds to suspected robbery, possible assault. Not in itself justification for the shoot, but perhaps insight on the officer's state.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »
Wow, so here we go.  The police were right to kill this guy, after all, he just stole a box of cigars!  In fact, he stole them in an aggravated manner!  That cop was in fear for his life as the guy raised his hands, how was the cop to know he didn't have a live grenade in his pants?  And of course the people that are tired of putting up with the heavy-handed demands from cops should just suck it up and realize that they're only being treated like scum, because in fact, they are scum!

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »
So, officer responds to suspected robbery, possible assault. Not in itself justification for the shoot, but perhaps insight on the officer's state.

Also, it would be interesting to hear how it was dispatched; I wouldn't be surprised if it was something along the lines of "violent robbery, two suspects, unknown weapons."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2014, 01:16:41 PM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/08/05/report-black-mobs-attack-white-patrons-outside-wis-state-fair/

This is not where I work, this is further out in the 'burbs where black mob violence isn't supposed to happen.

And yes, if my family were in the car, I would shoot any *expletive deleted*er that made a threatening move toward them. They were pulling 'white' people out of their cars and beating them.

I narrowly missed a 'juneteenth day' celebration gone awry a few years ago because I simply selected a different route on my way home that day. One of my coworkers went through the area right as the rioting started warming up and only had a few people jump up and down on their car.

This one happened a couple of blocks form where i work in a place I drive through every day.   http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/125027704.html

When the mob is surrounding your car, how are you going to get the rifle out of your trunk?

That's sort of the crux of my whole point here. I'm not saying there are no scenarios where having a rifle wouldn't be good, I just have trouble seeing how one would be able to deploy your rifle in those scenarios.

Not arguing, I am honestly curious.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »
Which is it?

Using optics to get a closer look, or using optics to aim (as in select and prepare to shoot)?

Will you next be calling out hunters that use their rifle-mounted scopes to check out the terrain looking to see if they can spot whatever it is they'd like to hunt (you know, aim at, shoot, and kill)?

What, if any, difference is there between the cops and "overwatch" teams in Afghanistan?  Neither is glassing the area with the intent of shooting everything that comes into their field of view.  (And I understand the cops have much stricter ROE that the folks in the 'Stan.)

stay safe.

1. Semantic difference. I don't think cops should be pointing guns at people who are in no way a threat.
2. One is a peace officer in his home country, one is a soldier in a foreign war zone? I'm hoping this is a rhetorical question.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2014, 01:20:35 PM »
When the mob is surrounding your car, how are you going to get the rifle out of your trunk?

That's sort of the crux of my whole point here. I'm not saying there are no scenarios where having a rifle wouldn't be good, I just have trouble seeing how one would be able to deploy your rifle in those scenarios.

Not arguing, I am honestly curious.

I've thought that if I ever have a decent enough truck, I would mount a rifle rack just over the windshield from the roof.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
I've thought that if I ever have a decent enough truck, I would mount a rifle rack just over the windshield from the roof.

http://www.vdpusa.com/truck/shelf-it.php

I had one of these on my Bronco, and will have another on my next F150.  Handy as heck, and with tinted windows keeps the rifle out of sight.

There's also an AR fold-for storage adapter that would allow a 10" or so barrel to fit in the center console of many trucks.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:38:09 PM by dogmush »

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »

I had one of these on my Bronco, and will have another on my next F150.  Handy as heck, and with tinted windows keeps the rifle out of sight.

There's also an AR fold-for storage adapter that would allow a 10" or so barrel to fit in the center console of many trucks.

Wish they made those for Subarus.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »

That would be it.  When I worked for an auto parts wholesaler we sold a few of those.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re:
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2014, 04:48:45 PM »

Pretty much SOP for pulling out of the driveway.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Woo-hoo - we made the Drudge Report!
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »
Circumstances are still a muddle.  Though given that brown was a robbing thug not above intimidating those smaller than him...er i mean a st louis cardinals fan...i will shed at least one fewer tear for the late mr brown.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
Circumstances are still a muddle.  Though given that brown was a robbing thug not above intimidating those smaller than him...er i mean a st louis cardinals fan...i will shed at least one fewer tear for the late mr brown.

One thing is not a muddle:  Whatever the circumstances surrounding the initial shoot riots, damage, looting, and death threats are not an appropriate response before the justice system has even a chance to work.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2014, 05:29:18 PM »
One thing is not a muddle:  Whatever the circumstances surrounding the initial shoot riots, damage, looting, and death threats are not an appropriate response before the justice system has even a chance to work rule that the police shooting was justified and followed accepted standards .

Fixed  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2014, 05:36:43 PM »
Well, it's North County.

Help me out here, folks.

The cops were lambasted for doing nothing, and letting looters take over on Sunday night. Now, the past two or three days, all I hear is that the cops are being "heavy-handed," and shouldn't be pointing rifles at people, using tear gas, being all military-like. Concerns about the militarization of police seems to have gone mainstream.

???

If anything, Ferguson seems to be a case that would justify all of that military hardware. Looting, arson, Molotov cocktails, random gunfire? From what I'm reading, a lot of the "protests" are centered around the Quiktrip, as if to leave no doubt that they intend more of the same.

What is your take?

Good question, and I wonder if this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  If I lived near there, I would want the police to do what they could to make it stop.  That being said, I am not willing to throw out due process and civil liberties to make it happen.  I am not convinced that the "heavy handed" tactics work all that well.  I am not suggesting that the police hand out cookies and open a kissing booth, but tear gassing reporters and people on their own property seems to be a little much.

Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.