Author Topic: Woo-hoo - we made the Drudge Report!  (Read 83141 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Woo-hoo - we made the Drudge Report!
« Reply #350 on: August 21, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »
Yup. ^^^ couple hundred rounds of bird shot first nite woulda stopped it all. No longer an available option because of feelings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #351 on: August 21, 2014, 10:29:18 AM »
Yup. ^^^ couple hundred rounds of bird shot first nite woulda stopped it all. No longer an available option because of feelings

Fear is, in point of fact, an emotion.  Violently intimidating a populace so they don't rise up against their rulers is ruling through fear.  So all that's being done is to suppress an option "because of feelings."

I'd also like to mention that anger and disgust are also emotions.  Forcing people to behave because they disgust or anger you is also acting "because of feelings." 

A reasoned discourse seems very far out of reach.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

• friends
« Reply #352 on: August 21, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
Conflating a looting burning mob with "the populace" is amusing. You need to meet Steven Thomas

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #353 on: August 21, 2014, 11:19:23 AM »
Conflating a looting burning mob with "the populace" is amusing. You need to meet Steven Thomas

Amusement is a feeling too . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

brimic

• friends
« Reply #354 on: August 21, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
Best summation I've seen so far:

http://www.ivymikecafe.com/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #355 on: August 21, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
Fear is, in point of fact, an emotion.  Violently intimidating a populace so they don't rise up against their rulers is ruling through fear.  So all that's being done is to suppress an option "because of feelings."

I'd also like to mention that anger and disgust are also emotions.  Forcing people to behave because they disgust or anger you is also acting "because of feelings." 

Fear of punishment is what makes law work. And people discuss the law every day.  So, not so far out of reach.

Quote from: niccolo machiavelli
Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved. . . . Love endures by a bond which men, being scoundrels, may break whenever it serves their advantage to do so; but fear is supported by the dread of pain, which is ever present.

Fear is what keeps a burglar out of a back yard when the back yard has a dog.  Fear is what causes a burglar to pass by a house when the owner is known to be armed and capable.  Fear is what causes a rapist to back off when his victim breaks out a firearm. 

Seems to me that fear can be handy as all get out.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
Re:
« Reply #356 on: August 21, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »
Fear can make you cautious.  Keep you alive

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #357 on: August 21, 2014, 11:06:49 PM »
The point is, and always has been, that the fear of loss of freedom has been what has kept non-criminals and non-psychopaths from intentionally breaking the major laws - like rape and pillage and murder.  They get a relief valve of being able to flaut the oppressor's iron glove by being "allowed" to break some of the minor laws that do not have loss of freedom or serious financial penalty as the consequence of getting caught - like 10 mph over the limit and parking with your fender 6 inches over the red line and sending in your tax payments three cents short on postage.

So yeah, fear is what makes The Law work.

It starts to fail when the population you are dealing with looks at being arrested and locked up as normal life events.  Normal events not because The Man is truely an oppressor but because they prefer having an excuse rather that taking responsibility for the direction of their life.

What we often forget is that somewhere north of 95% of those living in government housing (especially in housing "projects") get up in the morning and manage to not break the law all day long, along with most of them going to work/school.  Nobody gives you a medal or a march for social justice if you do crap like that.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #358 on: August 21, 2014, 11:13:57 PM »
What we often forget is that somewhere north of 95% of those living in government housing (especially in housing "projects") get up in the morning and manage to not break the law all day long, along with most of them going to work/school.

Huh, the fine Section 8 peeps here in Methlandia (that's what I'm calling the shitty apartment complex I'm living at while in school) don't go to work or school. In fact they actively avoid anything legal that involves exertion, labor, or applying themselves. The parking lot stays full of their cars both day and night...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #359 on: August 21, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »
Am I a bad person because Ferguson, MO reminds me of "Turd Ferguson" in the the SNL "Celebrity Jeopardy" skit? http://www.hulu.com/watch/12203

I've watched this a dozen times in the past 2 weeks, and it never gets old.

(it's probably racist somehow)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #360 on: August 22, 2014, 12:24:36 AM »
It's possible that police becoming violent with a crowd that is currently non-violent (preemptive head busting) might actually start a riot.

You're saying the looters burned down a gas station because the police were too heavy-handed against their peaceful demonstration?

Violently intimidating a populace so they don't rise up against their rulers is ruling through fear.  So all that's being done is to suppress an option "because of feelings."

Is this some kind of a joke? The mob in Ferguson has been looting and vandalizing people's stuff. That is why they need to be forced to behave, not because of anyone's feelings.  :facepalm: :nonplussed:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #361 on: August 22, 2014, 01:15:14 AM »
A teacher in the Ferguson/Florissant School District told me that, when classes begin on Monday, students will be allowed to leave class, to join in protests. She asked why the students were allowed to do this, and was told that, well, they let them do the same thing when the removal of the district superintendent was being debated last year. I find this a troubling explanation, as one is school-related, and the other is not. But why expect anything to make sense?  

There is a rumor going about, that Michael Brown's accomplice has reversed himself, admitting that Brown started a fight with the officer. I remain skeptical, but I did hear it from the same guy who knew about the fractured eye socket a week before it became official.

http://m.theepochtimes.com/n3/899567-dorian-johnson-witness-in-michael-brown-shooting-changed-his-story-radio-station-backs-off-claim/

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #362 on: August 22, 2014, 04:26:54 AM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:58:35 AM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #363 on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »
There is a rumor going about, that Michael Brown's accomplice has reversed himself, admitting that Brown started a fight with the officer. I remain skeptical, but I did hear it from the same guy who knew about the fractured eye socket a week before it became official.

http://m.theepochtimes.com/n3/899567-dorian-johnson-witness-in-michael-brown-shooting-changed-his-story-radio-station-backs-off-claim/

On the eye socket, the local liberal rag comments section is full of comments from people with "proof" that the eye socket damage was a right wing blogger snow job. They only say they "heard it on NPR" or elsewhere, but no links to their side of the story. It's running about 95% though, that the cop was completely uninjured and just opened fire on Brown's back. It's amazing to see the herd mentality of people who pride themselves on their enlightened attitudes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #364 on: August 22, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »

You're saying the looters burned down a gas station because the police were too heavy-handed against their peaceful demonstration?

Umm, no.  What I'm saying is that if a peaceful demonstration is attacked by the police (preemptive head-busting) it may very well turn violent.  Because, you know, the police got violent.

Nice straw man though . . .

Is this some kind of a joke? The mob in Ferguson has been looting and vandalizing people's stuff. That is why they need to be forced to behave, not because of anyone's feelings.  :facepalm: :nonplussed:

My "feelings" remark was in response to CSD's comment about the fact that there's been too little head-busting because of "feelings."

Overall, my point is that since the current police SOPs only lead to more violence, maybe, just maybe, a different approach is needed.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #365 on: August 22, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
fifth_column:

As I understand it, the police in Ferguson (after the shooting of Michael Brown, which has yet to be adjudicated) at first tried a hands-off, allow them to blow off steam approach. Which sounds pretty racist to me, but in any case, that was the night that several businesses were looted, and one of them burned and totally destroyed. The heavy-handed tactics, as I understand it, came later. Some nights later, the hands-off approach was again assayed, and more violence ensued. Police crowd control tactics don't seem to be the controlling influence here.

This is why I think that any "protest," in evening hours, should be stopped by force, before a crowd can gather. Not as a general principle, of course, but as a temporary measure, in a situation where after-dark protests have predictably become riots.

As I said before, this makes sense. Contingent, of course, on my information being correct. Not having been there for any of the festivities, I have no first-hand knowledge.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #366 on: August 22, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
As I understand it, the police in Ferguson (after the shooting of Michael Brown, which has yet to be adjudicated) at first tried a hands-off, allow them to blow off steam approach. Which sounds pretty racist to me, but in any case, that was the night that several businesses were looted, and one of them burned and totally destroyed.

Which is why I, personally, prefer the "hands off while moving every cop who can consistently make a 100yd shot on a 5 inch target to good rooftop positions" approach.  Leave the peaceful marchers alone, but at the first sign of looting, arson, or attacking bystanders, the peaceful protest is over, the instigators get shot, and the rest rounded up, identified, and sent home.

• friends
« Reply #367 on: August 22, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
fifth_column:

As I understand it, the police in Ferguson (after the shooting of Michael Brown, which has yet to be adjudicated) at first tried a hands-off, allow them to blow off steam approach. Which sounds pretty racist to me, but in any case, that was the night that several businesses were looted, and one of them burned and totally destroyed. The heavy-handed tactics, as I understand it, came later. Some nights later, the hands-off approach was again assayed, and more violence ensued. Police crowd control tactics don't seem to be the controlling influence here.

This is why I think that any "protest," in evening hours, should be stopped by force, before a crowd can gather. Not as a general principle, of course, but as a temporary measure, in a situation where after-dark protests have predictably become riots.

As I said before, this makes sense. Contingent, of course, on my information being correct. Not having been there for any of the festivities, I have no first-hand knowledge.

Your understanding matches mine though there is a faction that is adamant that the cops went "militaristic zomg" first. Thus far those folks have been unable to substantiate their emotions

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #368 on: August 22, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #369 on: August 22, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »
When our dumbass governor called up the guard, they should have stacked them up at every entrance to every business still standing. Let the protesters police themselves and protect the small business people.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #370 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:25 PM »
When our dumbass governor called up the guard, they should have stacked them up at every entrance to every business still standing. Let the protesters police themselves and protect the small business people.

jim

What a radical idea - government protecting life, liberty, and property  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #371 on: August 23, 2014, 06:49:43 AM »
What a radical idea - government protecting life, liberty, and property  :facepalm:

Which is why it didn't happen. Makes way too much sense.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #372 on: August 23, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »

According to the news articles I've read, the police have been doing a lot of that in Ferguson.

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #374 on: August 24, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
Sadly i had to check to be sure it was satire. Do not underestimate holders capacity

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD