Author Topic: Woo-hoo - we made the Drudge Report!  (Read 83161 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Woo-hoo - we made the Drudge Report!
« Reply #401 on: September 04, 2014, 06:05:46 PM »
There's an article in the Washington Post by Radley Balko titled "How municipalities in St. Louis County, Mo., profit from poverty."  The research and article seem to have stemmed directly from the Brown shooting. 

From the article:

The uprising in Ferguson was an inevitable reaction to the institutional racism coursing through the area for decades.

There are many towns in St. Louis County where the number of outstanding arrest warrants can exceed the number of residents, sometimes several times over.

It's a long read, and I probably won't have time to finish it tonight.  Just thought I'd share . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #403 on: September 05, 2014, 11:49:03 AM »
http://www.tpnn.com/2014/09/03/apparently-im-not-a-conservative/

When the point in time comes, and it will come, that you and your community are so moved by the destruction of this country that you choose to openly and peacefully protes

Which, I shall emphasize here, rioting and looting is NOT peaceful protest. I don't give a flying *expletive deleted* what Jesse Jackson, the talking heads on the news, this dude, or Barack's lap dog Holder says, *expletive deleted* RIOTING AND LOOTING IS NOT PEACEFUL PROTEST.

And second, not a single member of APS would be much willing to face rioters throwing molotovs without longarms, armor/riot gear, and you'd probably like some teargas, rubber baton rounds, and you'd really, really prefer to have something like an MRAP or Bearcat as cover. Because, using PPE is common sense.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #404 on: September 05, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
Boomhauer didn't finish the quote:

When the point in time comes, and it will come, that you and your community are so moved by the destruction of this country that you choose to openly and peacefully protest, what will you do if you are met with an overwhelming show of force? What if there are bad actors in your crowd?

Wouldn’t you expect them to be identified and culled out by law enforcement rather than using generic “crowd control” techniques? We know we have the technology and then some. Trillions of dollars later, we treat protesters as a ubiquitous assemblage and a united threat. Would you expect surgical tools or a broad sword.

We see protesting and assume that they are all bad actors and a riot must be prevented. It is just too easy to say that the rioters and looters in Ferguson got what they deserved and maybe not enough of it. It shouldn’t be that difficult to imagine a time when you are that protester being called a “rioter”. And if we ask for support of communities around the country, should we expect that support from Ferguson?

I added the bold.  The fact that all citizens are treated as criminals is what pisses me off the most.  The times I've been pulled over for speeding the officer routinely digs for something more incriminating.  The only thing on my record is traffic violations, yet this guy suspects I'm running drugs, or I've kidnapped someone underage, or planning the next 9/11, or something equally ridiculous he's dreamed up in his fevered imagination. 

And those that assume everyone at the Ferguson protests were "rioters" are equally fevered in their imagination.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #405 on: September 05, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
They get paid to look for more. Even your SPF gets a look. A great many times it's a routine traffic stop that snags folks. That reality might not be what you wanna hear but reality is like that. Surely you are up to handling the situation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #406 on: September 05, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
It looked to me (from the obviously biased news reports) like the police were targeting the journalists and peaceful protesters, while giving the looters and rioters a free pass.  And I guess that makes sense; journalists and protesters don't shoot back or throw bricks and firebombs.
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #407 on: September 05, 2014, 01:20:38 PM »
Well my take is if the "peaceful" ones would give up the trouble makers *expletive deleted*it like this would stop.

Quit enabling the bastards.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #408 on: September 05, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »
Well my take is if the "peaceful" ones would give up the trouble makers *expletive deleted* like this would stop.

And I strongly doubt that the crowds were made up of "mostly good people with a few bad eggs thrown in". Seems to me there were two type of people "protesting", the group of peaceful protesters that were by and large not a problem (and even stepped in to protect some businesses) and the groups of rioters and looters who were violent. Seperate groups.

I have no problem with the first, but the second one cannot by any stretch of the imagination be labeled legitimate, peaceful protesters. The second group is out there to hurt people, cause mayhem, steal, and destroy all under the guise of "protesting". And by and large, they got a pass for it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #409 on: September 05, 2014, 05:02:54 PM »
They get paid to look for more. Even your SPF gets a look. A great many times it's a routine traffic stop that snags folks. That reality might not be what you wanna hear but reality is like that. Surely you are up to handling the situation

It was a traffic stop that caught McVeigh.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
« Reply #410 on: September 05, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
Statist!

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #411 on: September 06, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »

Overtime parking in an interstate rest stop was what nailed the DC Snipers.

damn nosy coppers sticking their noses into everybody's business.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

• friends
« Reply #412 on: September 06, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »
I think it's amusing the way some folks feel entitled to automatic recognition as "good guys" either due to SPF the way they dress or their magic permit. It's a white bread thing I'll never understand

• friends
« Reply #413 on: September 06, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »
If the 2 cops who investigated Polly klaus's killer's stuck vehicle had snooped she'd be alive. But at least her killers rights as a white guy were preserved

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #414 on: September 06, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »
12-15% of the general population.  25+% of the prison population.  And the Justice Department still has not shown, in spite of repeated assertions, that there is a verifiable bias.

My magic permission slip proves that on one day several years ago I did not have a record of any disqualifying conditions.  The fact that magic permission slip holders are less than 0.000001% of those arrested for "gun  crimes" is merely anecdotal, just as is the fact that magic permission slip holders are 10+ times less likely than cops to be convicted of any felony - and we know how darned hard that is.

But it's not a white thing, or a black thing, or a yellow, brown, red, or purple thing.  It's that criminals see getting arrested/locked up as merely a cost of doing business while non-criminals are afraid near to death of the loss of their freedom so tend not to do stuff that could cause it to be lost.  Is there a correlation between that and being a victim who is not responsible for their actions versus accepting personal responsibility for behavior?  I don't know that anybody has "proved" it but it is a prevailing theory.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

• friends
« Reply #415 on: September 06, 2014, 04:25:31 PM »
Had a read it twice, but yes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #416 on: September 15, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #417 on: September 15, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »
"It's good, though..."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #418 on: September 17, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
So this story has dropped off the national view, probably for the better. Did any definitive word of the cop's condition come out? I saw a picture purporting to be him a while back on BookFace, but I don't believe anything I see on facebook.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #419 on: September 17, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »
So this story has dropped off the national view, probably for the better. Did any definitive word of the cop's condition come out? I saw a picture purporting to be him a while back on BookFace, but I don't believe anything I see on facebook.

My guess is he was injured enough that it'll be deemed a good shoot, assuming there's no one in power willing to throw him under the bus in the name of "racial justice".  And that they're going to drag out the "investigation" until prime-time riot season is over, and the weather is cold and wet.
I promise not to duck.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #420 on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »
Here's the fake picture I was talking about, with an explanation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/04/darren-wilson-injury-photo-ferguson_n_5768510.html
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #421 on: September 17, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »
Overtime parking in an interstate rest stop was what nailed the DC Snipers.

damn nosy coppers sticking their noses into everybody's business.

stay safe.
I thought I heard it was a trucker who spotted the white van at the rest stop and called it in. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #422 on: September 17, 2014, 03:12:50 PM »
Well my take is if the "peaceful" ones would give up the trouble makers *expletive deleted* like this would stop.

It is easy.  Anyone employing deadly force or destroying property gets shot.  Everyone else is left alone.  It would be over really fast. 

Alas, no one seems to want to do that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #423 on: September 17, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »
My guess is he was injured enough that it'll be deemed a good shoot, assuming there's no one in power willing to throw him under the bus in the name of "racial justice".  And that they're going to drag out the "investigation" until prime-time riot season is over, and the weather is cold and wet.

Do we have any firm conformation on the cops injuries?  I haven't seen anything I trust. There is a lot NOT being said and that makes me wonder.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #424 on: September 18, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »
I thought I heard it was a trucker who spotted the white van at the rest stop and called it in. 

Technically correct.  Should have denigrated both cohorts of nosy parker nannt-staters.

stay safe.