Author Topic: And now, Lauren Bacall  (Read 884 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
And now, Lauren Bacall
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:44:21 PM »
Dead at 89.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: And now, Lauren Bacall
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:51:53 PM »
Unexpected, but I guess not surprising.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:29:10 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:30:42 PM »
I just watched "To Have and Have Not" a couple of weeks ago. Man, she was a looker in her day (or anybody's day, for that matter). She at least seemed to have led a long and relatively happy life. RIP.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:25:29 PM »
Wotta spectacular dame.  And "earthy," too.  I like "earthy."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 06:46:06 AM »
The Greatest Generation is leaving us too quickly. :'(
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
She was a classy lady. Rest peacefully Lauren.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »
In her honor, I must link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrRlMt8SF4&t=1m0s

Only within the last 10 years did I learn that "Baby" was Lauren Bacall. RIP, madame.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »
I just watched "To Have and Have Not" a couple of weeks ago. Man, she was a looker in her day (or anybody's day, for that matter). She at least seemed to have led a long and relatively happy life. RIP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MheNUWyROv8

One of my all-time favorites.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 03:02:19 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »
In her honor, I must link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrRlMt8SF4&t=1m0s

Only within the last 10 years did I learn that "Baby" was Lauren Bacall. RIP, madame.

It was her first movie role.  IIRC she was just 20 and had been plucked from the fashion runways.  Wikipedia says that "during screen tests for To Have and Have Not (1944), Bacall was nervous. To minimize her quivering, she pressed her chin against her chest and to face the camera, tilted her eyes upward. This effect became known as "The Look", Bacall's trademark."

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
One of my wife's favorite actresses. To Have and Have Not is one of her favorite films.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 03:39:31 PM »
A twofer: I'm working from home today with the Rockford Files on TV for background noise.  I just looked up at the screen and there's James Garner driving his gold Firebird with Lauren Bacall in the passenger seat.  Garner was a favorite from when I was a boy and saw Support Your Local Sheriff at the theater.  It's sad to see that generation fading away.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame