Author Topic: off road tractor trailer RV  (Read 2343 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
off road tractor trailer RV
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/08/13/kiravan-extreme-off-road-tractor-trailer-almost-ready-to-span-globe/?intcmp=obnetwork

Not sure exactly where you would take this thing  ???

Somewhere without trees I reckon ...   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: off road tractor trailer RV
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:52:29 AM »
The Kiravan is a seemingly unstoppable, all-terrain excursion vehicle

I hear Mother Nature has accepted the challenge.  I'm putting my money down on her.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »
I know of some Mississippi River bottom gumbo mud holes that would eat that rig for breakfast.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

erictank

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »
I'm sure that's not terribly expensive at all...

I still like it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:43:09 AM »
Looks like an uglied-up Kenworth to me.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:46:07 AM »
Put it up against one of the Pinzgauer RV conversions and let's see which one gets through a real obstacle course.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »
I bet I could buy an over the top tricked out Unimog and trailer and be more mobile and still have a buncha $$$ left over.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 11:00:14 AM »
I think comms in that thing are gonna be in 6 figures.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 11:22:14 AM »
I always wanted to "retire" my old GMC log truck into a chassis mount RV  :cool:

4wd is not really necessary on a rig of that size.  As long as you have enough ground clearance, the coach weight on the rear duals is plenty for traction to take you anywhere that you reasonably might want to go.  I took it into and out of some horrible places for working, and half the time of course it was completely unloaded.  It got about 10-11 mpg loaded or empty which isn't bad for a large rig.

Alas, life took different turns and I ended up trading it off ....   =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 11:23:08 AM »
I wanna know more about "automatic tire chains"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »

The Onspot Automatic Tire chain offers the traction of a single set of conventional snow chains at the flip of a switch, without having to stop the vehicle.

An electric switch mounted in the cab provides 12 volts to an air solenoid mounted on the vehicle's frame rail. Compressed air to the solenoid is supplied from either the vehicle's onboard air system or a 12-volt compressed air kit.

When the dashboard switch is activated, the solenoid opens allowing compressed air to enter the air chamber and lower the chainwheel so it contacts the inside of the tire. The friction between the tire and the rubber-covered chainwheel causes the chainwheel to rotate, creating enough centrifugal force to flail the chains out in front of the tire. (The principle of the system is similar to a small generator driven by a bicycle tire to operate a headlight.)

Six lengths of chain spaced at 60-degree intervals on the chainwheel ensure that there are always two (2) chains between the tire and road surface whether you are accelerating, braking or are in a wheel lockup condition. The traction from the chainwheel is obtained in forward OR reverse.

When the dashboard switch is turned off, the solenoid exhausts the air provided to the chain units and return springs in the air chambers bring the chainwheels back to their resting position.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »
Short version: weed whacker disk with lengths of chain on it that throws them under the tires in time with their rotation.

Nifty, but looks kind of fragile to me in circumstances when you actually need the chains.
I promise not to duck.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »
I bet I could buy an over the top tricked out Unimog and trailer and be more mobile and still have a buncha $$$ left over.

You would have a lot left over.

Now, nearly four years later, it is almost, sorta, kinda finished, and while Ferren won’t divulge the exact budget of the truck, he grants that its total cost is in the millions.
http://www.wired.com/2014/04/worlds-biggest-rv/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 02:09:07 PM »
Short version: weed whacker disk with lengths of chain on it that throws them under the tires in time with their rotation.

Nifty, but looks kind of fragile to me in circumstances when you actually need the chains.

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 02:19:16 PM »

IIRC, these have been in use on the ice roads for a while now.  Looks like a pretty good investment for a truck that regularly finds itself in such situations, too.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »
IIRC, these have been in use on the ice roads for a while now.  Looks like a pretty good investment for a truck that regularly finds itself in such situations, too.
I dunno what they use these days, but log truck drivers back in my working days got pretty good at putting chains on and taking them off sometimes several times a day.

The rutted roads that I've seen would rip that "onspot traction" device right off the frame  =(

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »

Yes, on roads...

Overland, or on really poor roads, I see them getting ripped right off. Not the chains, but the armature and hydraulic positioner itself.
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 07:37:52 PM »
The rearmost wheels ride on an air-suspension, and are powered by a hydraulic drive system that can turn the entire vehicle into a 6x6 at speeds under 25 mph. With an overall range of 2,000 miles between fill-ups, that’s a lot of rock crawling.

And at maybe 5 miles per gallon (being optimistic), that 2000 miles will use up about 400 gallons of diesel (low-sulpher, of course, because we have to be good earth stewards). So that fill-sup will cost about $1,700.

Ouch!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 07:42:30 PM »
The onspot/instant chains, I've dealt with them before on firetrucks.

They work in a pinch but dedicated chains are better.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 07:43:37 PM »
IIRC, these have been in use on the ice roads for a while now.  Looks like a pretty good investment for a truck that regularly finds itself in such situations, too.

I see a lot of school buses driving around with lengths of tire chain hanging off the rear axle. Since these days many (dare I say "most"?) school buses are driven by women, I made the chauvinistic assumption that it was some kind of automatic deployment mechanism. I could never figure out how a device could actually wrap the chains around the tires. I guess they don't have to.

Neat.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »
I see a lot of school buses driving around with lengths of tire chain hanging off the rear axle. Since these days many (dare I say "most"?) school buses are driven by women, I made the chauvinistic assumption that it was some kind of automatic deployment mechanism. I could never figure out how a device could actually wrap the chains around the tires. I guess they don't have to.

Neat.

More likely anti-static.  (Actually, static discharge.)

Just like they have on the gasoline tankers plying the highways and byways.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 10:02:48 AM »

Assuming you're in a situation where you can just leave them on.  Some areas are way too picky about them, especially on non-emergency vehicles.

And there's a lot to be said for the ability to "chain up" while you still have a bit of momentum.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 10:36:48 AM »
The onspot/instant chains, I've dealt with them before on firetrucks.

School bus getting through a snow drift or an emergency vehicle over a snow plow windrow are perfect examples of the usage for the automatic chains.

I'm pretty sure that an emergency vehicle in a rural environment during a blizzard will chain up with dedicated chains.

Uranus is a gas giant.