Author Topic: Judge rules Aurora theater shooting was foreseeable  (Read 3370 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Judge rules Aurora theater shooting was foreseeable
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:50:27 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26346801/federal-judge-rules-aurora-theater-shooting-was-foreseeable

That's just wonderful. If the theater is liable I can see this leading to TSA type security at theaters, malls, restaurants, etc ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Judge rules Aurora theater shooting was foreseeable
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:08:16 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26346801/federal-judge-rules-aurora-theater-shooting-was-foreseeable

That's just wonderful. If the theater is liable I can see this leading to TSA type security at theaters, malls, restaurants, etc ...

What. The. *expletive deleted*.

Is she partaking of Colorado's new cash crop?

Also, the flood of bullshit made my computer run really slow when I opened that site...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »
Refresh my memory here . . .

IIRC, shortly after the shooting, there were stories that the theater was one of the few local theaters that had signs posted making it a victim disarmament zone, in a state that issues carry permits . . .

If so (note I said "if") it would seem there is an element of "foreseeability" in play by the very public prohibition of concealed carry by people licensed by the state to do so.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:35:23 PM »
Also, the flood of bullshit made my computer run really slow when I opened that site...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 10:35:42 PM »

Many would just close.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »
Holy hell....    The stupidity of this ruling just....   

I'ma go lie down for a bit now.  I have a headache.......
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 06:22:18 AM »
By that logic, everything is foreseeable.  When will the movie chain install meteor-proof roofs? Think of the children!!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 07:35:07 AM »
My initial reaction to this was the same as everyone else's, but thinking about it a little, this was just a hearing to determine whether or not the case would see trial, right?  Might there be legal requirements being satisfied by a broader interpretation of "foreseeable" as opposed to the more reasonable, common sense usage we are expecting?

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 03:06:33 PM »
My initial reaction to this was the same as everyone else's, but thinking about it a little, this was just a hearing to determine whether or not the case would see trial, right?  Might there be legal requirements being satisfied by a broader interpretation of "foreseeable" as opposed to the more reasonable, common sense usage we are expecting?

This was a Motion for Summary Judgement.  The theater was making a motion that assuming all of the facts in the plaintiff's complaint were true there wasn't any legal basis for their suit.  I'm not sure I would have denied summary judgement here.  But this is a much higher standard than applied during trial proceedings.  The jury is the fact finder and can decide if the facts in the complaint are true or not.  And they can still decide the defendant (i.e. the theater) wasn't at fault.  We'll see what happens at trial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summary_judgement

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:46:08 AM »
Many would just close.

Jeff Bezos and Netflix are bribing judges to close down brick and mortar stores! Also, Jews and aliens.  [tinfoil]
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 01:01:32 AM »
Refresh my memory here . . .

IIRC, shortly after the shooting, there were stories that the theater was one of the few local theaters that had signs posted making it a victim disarmament zone, in a state that issues carry permits . . .

If so (note I said "if") it would seem there is an element of "foreseeability" in play by the very public prohibition of concealed carry by people licensed by the state to do so.

I kind of like this logic.  Post(gun ban signs) all you like, just be aware that if you do so that you're responsible for the protection of your patrons to a higher degree than if you do not.

I bet such a ruling would have such signs coming down faster than scalded cats.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 08:44:07 AM »
This was a Motion for Summary Judgement.  The theater was making a motion that assuming all of the facts in the plaintiff's complaint were true there wasn't any legal basis for their suit.  I'm not sure I would have denied summary judgement here.  But this is a much higher standard than applied during trial proceedings.  The jury is the fact finder and can decide if the facts in the complaint are true or not.  And they can still decide the defendant (i.e. the theater) wasn't at fault.  We'll see what happens at trial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summary_judgement

Great description.  Most judges do not look favorably on an MSJ, because courts of appeals tend to slap judges for putting themselves in place of juries, and denying plaintiffs their right to have factual issues determined by a jury.

I think that the judge made a bad choice here in explaining it this way.  Could have just made a ruling that foreseeability is a question of fact best left to the jury, and called it done. 

With all of that said, I can imagine the world if foreseeability of something like this is found and upheld.  Insurance companies will insist that places like movie theaters, stores, even churches employ screening and security measures...maybe even TSA type screening and armed guards.  It will make CCW permits virtually useless, and even keep someone from carrying a pocket knife.  Bad idea...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »
Great description.  Most judges do not look favorably on an MSJ, because courts of appeals tend to slap judges for putting themselves in place of juries, and denying plaintiffs their right to have factual issues determined by a jury.

I think that the judge made a bad choice here in explaining it this way.  Could have just made a ruling that foreseeability is a question of fact best left to the jury, and called it done. 

With all of that said, I can imagine the world if foreseeability of something like this is found and upheld.  Insurance companies will insist that places like movie theaters, stores, even churches employ screening and security measures...maybe even TSA type screening and armed guards.  It will make CCW permits virtually useless, and even keep someone from carrying a pocket knife.  Bad idea...
If they did that, a whole lot more theatres would be going out of business.  I doubt I would put up with more it. 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 10:29:27 AM »
If they did that, a whole lot more theatres would be going out of business.  I doubt I would put up with more it. 
Lots of people put up with that kind of security (or nearly - wands, bag searches, etc) for professional sports events.

I agree, though; my moviegoing days would be over as well if that happened.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »
Lots of people put up with that kind of security (or nearly - wands, bag searches, etc) for professional sports events.

Last time I went to a Rangers game with a group, I recall thinking that only the barrel and tripod would have been a problem with sneaking in a crew-served machine gun taken down and tucked into various bags.  Rework one for short barrel, and make a mount clamp onto the rail, and you're all set.  Three coolers, all the women's purses and a huge diaper bag basically got glanced at and waved through.  No wanding at all.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »
Last NHL game I attended, it was similar...lift up my sweater so they could see my waistline.  Period.  Last college football game I attended, they were more concerned about finding alcohol being smuggled in than anything else.  Looked through my binoculars to make sure they weren't one of the flasks. 

But, if there are a couple of judgments against these places, that would all change.  Either out of business as cordex suggested, or the whole nine yards.  May be a good time to invest in companies that sell metal detectors...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 12:39:46 PM »
I kind of like this logic.  Post(gun ban signs) all you like, just be aware that if you do so that you're responsible for the protection of your patrons to a higher degree than if you do not.

There actually is legislation to this effect in Wisconsin.  As I understand it, part of the recent concealed carry bill makes it possible to hold a "no guns" business liable if a customer is injured during a holdup.  I don't think it's had a big impact on businesses decision regarding carry in their establishments.  Although, it's possible it has had a larger effect than I'm aware.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »

Isn't that exactly what many of us have been saying should be the law regarding victim disarmament zones? Sure you have a right to prohibit guns in your store, but if you won't allow me the means to defend yourself then you become responsible for my protection?

Why is that a good thing in theory but when a judge actually tiptoes up to that line we're aghast?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 01:01:58 PM »
Last time I went to a Rangers game with a group, I recall thinking that only the barrel and tripod would have been a problem with sneaking in a crew-served machine gun taken down and tucked into various bags.  Rework one for short barrel, and make a mount clamp onto the rail, and you're all set.  Three coolers, all the women's purses and a huge diaper bag basically got glanced at and waved through.  No wanding at all.
Not claiming the security checks are effective - people sneak stuff through TSA too - just saying they are in place to varying extents (and I have seen wanding at events I wasn't expecting to have it).  If you would be okay with ineffective security checks at the movies, more power to you. I wouldn't go.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »
If you would be okay with ineffective security checks at the movies, more power to you. I wouldn't go.

I tend to treat security theater as a game; after a recon run, it's a challenge to see what can be snuck in.  Selfies with ridiculous contraband in an undeniably "inside the perimeter" setting are a bonus.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »
I tend to treat security theater as a game; after a recon run, it's a challenge to see what can be snuck in.  Selfies with ridiculous contraband in an undeniably "inside the perimeter" setting are a bonus.
So basically sneakily giving people who want to restrict your ability to carry a gun more money?  Way to stick it to the man!   ;)

I've given away free NFL tickets to avoid that kind of crap, but if you're into playing games that the opposition wins either way then carry on ... so to speak.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »
So basically sneakily giving people who want to restrict your ability to carry a gun more money?  Way to stick it to the man!   ;)

Nah; I just plain avoid places that ban guns just to ban them.  (Professional sporting events are no-carry in TX anyway.)  More fun to sneak random prohibited crap into movies and such.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 02:40:55 PM »
Nah; I just plain avoid places that ban guns just to ban them.  (Professional sporting events are no-carry in TX anyway.)  More fun to sneak random prohibited crap into movies and such.
You mean outside food and beverage or something?  Not sure how that fits in with the conversation here, but okay.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 03:05:35 PM »
You mean outside food and beverage or something?  Not sure how that fits in with the conversation here, but okay.

All depends on what you're sneaking.  The black bean and chipotle chicken chili I made last week would be better than CS if you could figure a way to disperse it properly, other than the usual method of waiting until it gets through the digestive tract.  It's definitely more effective than CS if you have time to wait for that.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »
All depends on what you're sneaking.  The black bean and chipotle chicken chili I made last week would be better than CS if you could figure a way to disperse it properly, other th  an the usual method of waiting until it gets through the digestive tract.  It's definitely more effective than CS if you have time to wait for that.

:rofl:

Thanks.  Needed that after the day I've had.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)