Author Topic: Oops! Wrong house raided.  (Read 3146 times)

brimic

• friends
Oops! Wrong house raided.
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »
Good thing we don't worry about inconveniences like the 4th amendment.
http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/08/15/shocking-swat-raid-captured-helmet-cam-raises-questions-video/

CSD to the courtesy phone.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Oops! Wrong house raided.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
Sweet Baby Jesus!

That wasn't a search warrant service, that was a home invasion. How long did they wait after banging on the door before they broke the glass and forced entry -- five seconds, at most? They deserve to be sued. That raid could have accomplished the same result if one or two officers had politely knocked on the door, showed the occupants the warrant, and asked to see the computer.

Every time I try to like police again, something like this comes down the pike. Police today just aren;'t the same as the officers we knew on a first name basis when I was a kid.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
That raid could have accomplished the same result if one or two officers had politely knocked on the door, showed the occupants the warrant, and asked to see the computer.

What fun would that be?   :police:

I more and more want to have an entry way with a pit trap under it  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:29:37 PM »
What fun would that be?   :police:

I more and more want to have an entry way with a pit trap under it  >:D

I think setting up something like this would be better entertainment.  =D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b25Fbg8xqU
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 12:10:51 AM »
Having read the article and watched the video:
First, I do not blame the SWAT team on it's performance as shown.  They were given their orders, they carried them. out.  Though that girl seems more 14 than 18. 
Second, given that a 'known gang leader' was the one that made the threats, and he specifically hooked into their internet using his cell phone to send them, I wonder about the specificity and realism of the threats.  If I say 'I'm going to nuke Brazil', it's not very realistic because I lack nukes, the ability to launch them, etc...  Not very realistic.  'I'm going to kill somebody' - not very specific.  'I'm going to kill my sheriff by lighting his house at XYZ on fire after boarding the doors shut tonight' is very specific.  Target, time, and method are all specified, and I'd be capable of doing it.  Time for the police to intervene.
Third - secure your routers people!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:44:28 AM »
Jackpot!

The taxpayers are going to get hosed on this one.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:54 AM »
When I was in LE, if a warrant was issued, and the malefactor was not known to be particularly dangerous the detectives usually asked around the squad room if anyone knew the person and if so, if you see him, pick him up.  If known to be a bit on the violent side, they'd send a one man or two man uniform car to back up two detectives.  Cover most of the exits, pound on the door and announce.  That usually got the person, if he was home, to rabbit and we'd catch him leaving the house.

Now if an informant says a guy is selling pot, they send an Mrap, 10 Ninjas, rope off the neighborhood and destroy the house in the process, whether it is the right house or not.  This does not happen all the time, but it seems this LE behavior is escalating.  Give them military equipment, mask their faces and helmets that resemble helmets worn by the WWII SS, assign a leader with a square jaw and a flat top haircut who talks in monotone, you have a clustercoitus waiting to happen. 

We have 315+ million people now, and about 190 million in 1965.  Things tend to be relative, so other than is some large cities where violent gang hold sway to reasonably large tracts of a city, arresting folks isn't much different than when I was in LE.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »
Sooner or later they will make the wrong guy really mad. Maybe they kill his mom in a botched raid. Whatever the reason, they will not be dealing with some idiot with poor impulse control, but a really dangerous thoughtful man. That man will decide to become proactive. At that point, all bets are off.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »
Sooner or later they will make the wrong guy really mad. Maybe they kill his mom in a botched raid. Whatever the reason, they will not be dealing with some idiot with poor impulse control, but a really dangerous thoughtful man. That man will decide to become proactive. At that point, all bets are off.

That right there is probably a reason why they feel safe raiding houses in the poor side of town and ghetto areas.
If you push a highly intelligent person in the corner or destroy everything he values, you are much more likely to end up with the 'Falling Down' scenario.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »
Then there is this
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
Is it just me or is one of the biggest things wrong the face covering thing.  I know balaclavas have a purpose, but this isn't the right moment.  Goggles, sure, but face masks that aren't gas masks?  Um...veto.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »
That right there is probably a reason why they feel safe raiding houses in the poor side of town and ghetto areas.
If you push a highly intelligent person in the corner or destroy everything he values, you are much more likely to end up with the 'Falling Down' scenario.

Less Falling Down, more Henry Bowman.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 05:03:36 PM »

I was really hoping that was the case after Erik Scott was killed in Las Vegas.  His old man could have pulled it off.
"It's good, though..."

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
Is it just me or is one of the biggest things wrong the face covering thing.  I know balaclavas have a purpose, but this isn't the right moment.  Goggles, sure, but face masks that aren't gas masks?  Um...veto.
I always thought the "masked man with a gun" was automatically a bad guy, and therefore, a legitimate target for every good guy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 05:24:33 PM »
I always thought the "masked man with a gun" was automatically a bad guy, and therefore, a legitimate target for every good guy.

Seems like a legitimate approach

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
I more and more want to have an entry way with a pit trap under it

Fake front door, set into a solid slab of reinforced concrete.  For bonus points, put a recess behind it just big enough to hold some hellacious springs, to be triggered by a solid hit with a battering ram.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 12:14:25 AM »
Fake front door, set into a solid slab of reinforced concrete.  For bonus points, put a recess behind it just big enough to hold some hellacious springs, to be triggered by a solid hit with a battering ram.

That's genious! Video cameras required. :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 12:48:29 AM »
Fake front door, set into a solid slab of reinforced concrete.  For bonus points, put a recess behind it just big enough to hold some hellacious springs, to be triggered by a solid hit with a battering ram.

Yeah, but the springs have to be enough to get you at least a couple of seconds of air time....   :)

And if you're feeling nice, time the spring release to angle the launch so that they clear the MRAP....  >:D

ETA:  And just because the mental image reminded me of this story, something to lighten the mood just a touch:  http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/04/dont-make-me-hurt-you-bubba.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:58:35 AM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 01:05:36 AM »
Yeah, but the springs have to be enough to get you at least a couple of seconds of air time....   :)

And if you're feeling nice, time the spring release to angle the launch so that they clear the MRAP....  >:D

The springs will get you in big trouble for setting a booby trap.  A decoy solid hardwood door inset into a reinforced concrete wall for them to hurt themselves on is a great idea.

You could get very Bugs Bunny with it; have a whole stack of hardened doors.
"It's good, though..."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:32 AM »
The springs will get you in big trouble for setting a booby trap.  A decoy solid hardwood door inset into a reinforced concrete wall for them to hurt themselves on is a great idea.

You could get very Bugs Bunny with it; have a whole stack of hardened doors.

Or better yet, a heavily steel-reinforce wood veneer door in hardened mountings...followed 6-12" later by another...and another...and another.  After about 4, then a 3-4' thick concrete wall.
So they ram, ram, bring up ramming vehicle, splat vehicle on wall.

Or make a house that looks normal, but is basically a veneer around 1' thick concrete, and completely filled with dirt.  And only a small hallway to an underground real house...so they can ram doors, window, etc, and just hit a solid block.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 09:52:09 AM »
I want to build an IFC concrete house molding a door like that into the front outa solid fiber reinforced could be a hoot. Not just for a raid but for someone trying to break in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
Or better yet, a heavily steel-reinforce wood veneer door in hardened mountings...followed 6-12" later by another...and another...and another.  After about 4, then a 3-4' thick concrete wall.
So they ram, ram, bring up ramming vehicle, splat vehicle on wall.

That's what I was talking about a stack of hardened doors; you described it a lot better. :D
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »
1' thick concrete

Why so thin  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »
Why so thin  ???
Yeah, how thick would it need to be to resist 120MM rounds or anti-tank rockets?

Also, rather than make a house MRAP proof, make a concret based fence that is essentially made up of tank barriers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge