Author Topic: So How Militarized is your Police Agency  (Read 9488 times)

Waitone

• friend
So How Militarized is your Police Agency
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
What with all the flapping around about militarization of local law enforcement (hardly a new topic on this forum) I was interested in a database release by the federales giving some idea of who is buying what conveniently indexed by state and county.

Article front page  http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/database-shows-what-military-equipment-your-local-police-department-has-been-stockpiling_08192014

Search the database  http://www.shtfplan.com/militarization-by-county-via-the-law-enforcement-support-office?appSession=484118466975748&cbSearchAgain=true&AppKey=36701000b255adcfe6ca4b13a8a4

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: So How Militarized is your Police Agency
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 07:48:39 PM »
Some pistols and rifles from 2006.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
My county has gotten two MRAPS, one helo, an armored truck, 31 sets of NVGs, IR LTDs, and 9 pages of other stuff.

Because what LEO doesn't need to drop PGMs on target?

===============

The county we are considering moving to has gotten 10 rifles since 2006.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »
Rifles, safety glasses and what sounds like an APC.  If you saw the roads around here a tracked vehicle makes sense!

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »
My county bought a couple dozen rifles,almost a hundred sights,a truck,and long johns.

My folks county bought gardening equipment,tractors,musical instruments,and more gun sights.And long johns.It IS Michigan after all.

I'm surprised by the quantities for some things.ex.Cold weather boots,only a dozen pairs,do the cops share boots at shift change?  =)
I'd have thought that they'd have bought dozens-or at least enough to cover the department.

I'm too lazy to look myself but I was wondering how much stuff the fire departments also acquired.It makes at least as much sense to me for the FD to get access to surplus.

Thanks for the link.
jeff w

I like onions!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
County I'm in got a rock climbing wall, NVGs, medical stuff, some bayonets, "ladder, tactical assault", cuppa two tree grenade launches, 886 rifles and various other and assorted miscellany. County I'm planning on moving two in the next 6 months got 95 rifles and a "truck, utility".

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:10:34 PM »
County I'm in got a rock climbing wall, NVGs, medical stuff, some bayonets, "ladder, tactical assault", cuppa two tree grenade launches, 886 rifles and various other and assorted miscellany. County I'm planning on moving two in the next 6 months got 95 rifles and a "truck, utility".

WTF do they need bayonets for?   ???

Mine got a bunch of rifles and sights. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »

Mine did too.Makes me wonder,espescially with the quantities listed,just how much of the oddball stuff didn't get re-sold,or at least diverted,to specific persons/collecters in the departments.
jeff w

I like onions!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:19:57 PM »

Those dangerous Salt Lake hippies, don't you know.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »
Eighteen pages of stuff, including it looks like assault packs for every badge in the county, and around 100 flightsuits, which they need with the half dozen helos. Several "combat vehicles", a page worth of .45ACP pistols (doesn't say what kind), several pages of 5.56 rifles (doesn't say what kind), and a periscope.

Oops, read it wrong. One of the helos is apparently a fixed wing and valued at 6.5million. Or maybe not. It's listed as "aircraft, rotary", which I always read as "helicopter", but the helos are listed under "Helicopter".

AIRCRAFT, ROTARY WING   1   Each   $6,500,000.00   7/6/2009
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:38:51 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »
Hmm

Anti-Personal Mine Foot Protection, real handy round here
Few Generators
Some batteries and chargers
Radios
Ten 5.56 rifles, guessing AR/M16
Four 7.62 rifles, doesn't say what exactly
Tents and doodads and tires
Tractor
7 utility trucks, doesn't say what exactly
And a...gray wheeled housekeeping cart. Wonder if it's a tacticool gray wheeled housekeeping cart
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 10:19:45 PM »
And a...gray wheeled housekeeping cart. Wonder if it's a tacticool gray wheeled housekeeping cart

That's the Chariot of Oppression!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 10:23:35 PM »
That's the Chariot of Oppression!

Or an assault wheelbarrow in disguise!
jeff w

I like onions!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »
Missoula county is not too bad, 1 page of rifles and a few radios.  No tanks or B-52's.

Cascade county where I grew up has a little more:
.45 pistols (assuming 1911's)
5 38 caliber revolvers
4 sets of thermal viewers
M16's I assume
And a bunch of M14's I'm assuming by the 7.62 rifles

However, there were a whole lot of rifles - like almost 3 pages worth between 5.56 and 7.62.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:28:50 PM by 41magsnub »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
Nothing but rifles for my county.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 10:34:05 PM »
My county got a dozen of -RIFLE,5.56 MILLIMETER.
That wouldn't even arm every mounted deputy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 10:37:10 PM »
I'm too lazy to look myself but I was wondering how much stuff the fire departments also acquired.It makes at least as much sense to me for the FD to get access to surplus.

We've gotten a couple 6x6 trucks from NG/army, just for the shipping costs. :)

Also there was a FEMA grant for some turnout gear a few years ago.  It was pretty much a waste IMO for a bunch of old guys/gals on a mostly wildland VFD.  Technically the coats and pants have hung on the wall so long that they already "should be" replaced.  I think that we've actually used the stuff on a couple of mutual aid structure fires.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
Three "DOOR,VEHICULAR", and one "TRUCK,UTILITY" (which I'm guessing is what the doors were for).

Anyway, I think I saw the truck once at the scene of a vehicle accident. Looked like something that would make Gecko45 drool, but didn't really seem all that useful overall.  ;/
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 10:51:53 PM »

A lot of the 1033 program stuff just isn't that useful for us firefighters, outside of some oddball stuff like thermal imaging cameras. Even if it's "free" we still have to store it and all that, and we had more than enough free crap to store.

Now my dept could definitely have used NVGs but that would have been for SAR. Plus I believe a lot of NVGs available through this program are junk, so it'd be something like acquiring a bunch of them and trying to find a useful one or three and if it's possible, have some others rebuilt (I guess TNVC could do something like that)

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
My county got a bunch of computers and monitors a few pistols, a page of rifles, a MRAP, an armored truck and some kind of $50,000 utility truck.

The database is not complete. I checked the county across the highway and they don't list the Humvee I know they received and I still have the newspaper article about it around here somewhere.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 11:08:04 PM »
they don't list the Humvee I know they received and I still have the newspaper article about it around here somewhere.

They may have sent it back after realizing what a POS it is.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 12:14:25 AM »
StL County got 3 pages worth. Didn't read it all yet, but I noticed a few items described as "CPU No Hard Drive." I didn't know they were building the HDD right onto the die, now.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 12:16:59 AM »
Not bad here.  A helicopter, flight trainer; a helicopter and a few 5.56 & 7.62 rifles, barely enough to arm the local PD (in a town of 1,300).

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 01:55:51 AM »
They may have sent it back after realizing what a POS it is.

I'll look tomorrow when I have a job to do a block away from the Sheriff's office. They used to have it parked right out front all the time.

The reason I remember the newspaper article is the headline. Sheriff gets a Hummer.   :rofl:

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 02:31:12 AM »
Looking at AK - boots, lots and lots of cold weather boots.  More cold weather jackets and other stuff.  A few cold weather type vehicles.

11 radar scattering screening systems, but those also work well as sun shades/shelters.

A popcorn machine.  Not sure how tactical it is.  A bit of exercise equipment and an EOD robot.

15 5.56 rifles for my county alone, lots for the state.  though without the NSN I can't tell if it's M-16, M-4, or what.  Probably M16s. 

Nothing for me to get excited about.  I'm not going to deny our officers a 'patrol rifle', especially if they can get a used but still good rifle from uncle sam for free.