Author Topic: Is anyone getting irritated with this Congressman Foley debacle?  (Read 5023 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Leatherness here because I don't feel like trying to remember my login info.  

Isn't it interesting that now that the Congressman has been caught with his pants down he is blaming it on being an alcoholic, gay and having been molested by a priest when he was 13.  Give me a break!
TC
RT Refugee

SomeKid

Is anyone getting irritated with this Congressman Foley debacle?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 03:12:01 PM »
If I were Bush...

I would go out, and publicly say that anyone who kills Foley gets a pardon.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 03:46:44 PM »
I remember this from my Army days years ago:

The effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

I don't know if he's sorry for what he did. He's sorry he got caught. Thank God he was, but it seems like this behavior could have been going on for a while. If I remember correctly, he was in favor of coming down pretty hard on child abusers/molesters. I hope he gets his punishment, and doesn't get cut slack because he's an elected official.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 03:48:41 PM »
[tin-foil hat] I have to wonder if the mess with Foley is being used as a diversion to keep the MSM watching populace from taking note of what looks like an uptick in preparation for an attack on Iran.  The USS Eisenhower is set to deploy to Iran ahead of schedule, and IIRC some subs are also headed toward the sandbox.[/tin-foil hat]

Yes, it is interesting Letherness.  Sounds like a cop-out to me.  "Its not my fault!  I was molested and I'm an addict!"
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 03:58:58 PM »
The guy is a freaking pervert *expletive deleted*bag. What I do not understand is how come out of a nation of 300 million, the parties cannot come up with several hundred decent individuals to put up as elected officials, but instead have to install child abusers, embezzlers, commies, genetic disasters, certifiable lunatics, pedophiles, and other types of human polution instead.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 04:01:04 PM »
Yes I am.  He, apparently, never even touched anybody.  Democrats have done worse, and remained in power.  So, he got the boot.  Case closed.  But the only people who agree with me are spending all their airtime going on about it.  Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 04:02:09 PM »
Quote from: CAnnoneer
The guy is a freaking pervert *expletive deleted*bag. What I do not understand is how come out of a nation of 300 million, the parties cannot come up with several hundred decent individuals to put up as elected officials, but instead have to install child abusers, embezzlers, commies, genetic disasters, certifiable lunatics, pedophiles, and other types of human polution instead.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 04:13:02 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Yes I am.  He, apparently, never even touched anybody.  Democrats have done worse, and remained in power.  So, he got the boot.  Case closed.  But the only people who agree with me are spending all their airtime going on about it.  Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?
I wish he would just shut up already.  His appeals for mercy from the public are downright unseemly.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 04:21:17 PM »
I haven't heard a peep from the perv, just from radio talkers.  You should all sell your televisions, so that you might enjoy such blessings.

Lobotomy Boy

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 04:48:35 PM »
Quote from: Sindawe
I have to wonder if the mess with Foley is being used as a diversion to keep the MSM watching populace from taking note of what looks like an uptick in preparation for an attack on Iran.  The USS Eisenhower is set to deploy to Iran ahead of schedule, and IIRC some subs are also headed toward the sandbox.
I think there's a coordinated effort between the military and the intelligence community to prevent that from happening right now. I think the NIE results were leaked to hopefully prevent the administration from launching an October surprise attack on Iran. I also think that is why heavy hitters like retired Army Generals John Batiste and Paul Eaton and retired Marine Corp Colonel Thomas Hammes testified before the Senate that Rumsfeld is incompetent. These are not lightweights in the military. Paul Eaton has been dubbed "The Father of the Iraqi Army," according to "Defend America," (http://www.defendamerica.mil/articles/jun2004/a061404e.html) the terrorism newsletter of the U.S. Department of Defense. John Batiste led the First Infantry Division in Iraq, and Thomas Hammes served as a Marine Senior Military Fellow in the Institute for National Security Studies, National Defense University, (and whose excellent book, "The Sling and the Stone," was published by the company that publishes my books, by the way). All three of these men are soldiers' soldiers, dedicated military men who are not in the habit of getting involved in politics. I believe that their coordinated attack on Rumsfeld at this time is meant to discredit the man before he and Dick Cheney can lead us into another disasterous war.

And Fistful and Rabbi, I don't think you've seen anywhere near the end of this yet. The Washington Times (that fringe left-wing rag with an editorial board headed by that Communist liberal Tony Blankley), published the following editorial on the subject this morning:

Quote from: washington times
-----------------------------------------------------------
RESIGN, MR. SPEAKER
-----------------------------------------------------------
The facts of the disgrace of Mark Foley, who was a Republican member of the House from a Florida district until he resigned last week, constitute a disgrace for every Republican member of Congress. Red flags emerged in late 2005, perhaps even earlier, in suggestive and wholly inappropriate e-mail messages to underage congressional pages. His aberrant, predatory -- and possibly criminal -- behavior was an open secret among the pages who were his prey. The evidence was strong enough long enough ago that the speaker should have relieved Mr. Foley of his committee responsibilities contingent on a full investigation to learn what had taken place, whether any laws had been violated and what action, up to and including prosecution, were warranted by the facts. This never happened.

Rep. John Shimkus of Illinois, the Republican chairman of the House Page Board, said he learned about the Foley e-mail messages "in late 2005." Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, the leader of the Republican majority, said he was informed of the e-mail messages earlier this year. On Friday, Mr. Hastert dissembled, to put it charitably, before conceding that he, too, learned about the e-mail messages sometime earlier this year. Late yesterday afternoon, Mr. Hastert insisted that he learned of the most flagrant instant-message exchange from 2003 only last Friday, when it was reported by ABC News. This is irrelevant. The original e-mail messages were warning enough that a predator -- and, incredibly, the co-chairman of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children -- could be prowling the halls of Congress. The matter wasn't pursued aggressively. It was barely pursued at all. Moreover, all available evidence suggests that the Republican leadership did not share anything relate!
d to this matter with any Democrat.

Now the scandal must unfold on the front pages of the newspapers and on the television screens, as transcripts of lewd messages emerge and doubts are rightly raised about the forthrightness of the Republican stewards of the 109th Congress. Some Democrats are attempting to make this "a Republican scandal," and they shouldn't; Democrats have contributed more than their share of characters in the tawdry history of congressional sexual scandals. Sexual predators come in all shapes, sizes and partisan hues, in institutions within and without government. When predators are found they must be dealt with, forcefully and swiftly. This time the offender is a Republican, and Republicans can't simply "get ahead" of the scandal by competing to make the most noise in calls for a full investigation. The time for that is long past.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert must do the only right thing, and resign his speakership at once. Either he was grossly negligent for not taking the red flags fully into account and ordering a swift investigation, for not even remembering the order of events leading up to last week's revelations -- or he deliberately looked the other way in hopes that a brewing scandal would simply blow away. He gave phony answers Friday to the old and ever-relevant questions of what did he know and when did he know it? Mr. Hastert has forfeited the confidence of the public and his party, and he cannot preside over the necessary coming investigation, an investigation that must examine his own inept performance.

A special, one-day congressional session should elect a successor. We nominate Rep. Henry Hyde, also of Illinois, the chairman of the House International Relations Committee whose approaching retirement ensures that he has no dog in this fight. He has a long and principled career, and is respected on both sides of the aisle. Mr. Hyde would preside over the remaining three months of the 109th Congress in a manner best suited for a full and exhaustive investigation until a new speaker for the 110th Congress is elected in January, who can assume responsibility for the investigation.
I believe this is one of the first times I've ever agreed with a Washington Times editorial. At the very least Hastert is guilty of gross incompetence; at worst he is guilty of aiding and abetting a sexual predator for the purpose of political gain. Either way, he has to go (and in the past I have supported Hastert). When Tony Blankley and company are calling for Hastert's head over this, the GOP is in deep, deep trouble.
Raging against tyranny since 2006.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 05:23:52 PM »
The left will use this to demand the resignation of every Republican in office.
What did they guy actually do?  Didnt Clinton do much worse?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 05:33:23 PM »
In Foley's case, I agree we need people of much better character in elected positions. I also wonder, if he was abused as a kid, why he'd want to pass that on to more kids.

In Hastert's case, I noticed the same thing Sean Hannity and Dick Morris were talking about... "what did Hastert know and when did he know it?". To my mind, it ain't Hastert's problem because Hastert isn't the offending party in this case. Yet, I agree that the Dems will use this to make political hay and the more Reps they unseat with this, the better they'll like it.

Yeah, I'm annoyed.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »
What gets me is all the clamour for other Republicans to resign, as if they were all molestors too.  Sure, Foley seems to be a scumbag (and is anyone really surprised to find a scumbag in congress?) and needed to go.  But trying to blame Hastert and other Republicans for Foley's scumbagginess is unseemly.  

Exploiting children to gratify you sexual desires is despicable.  Exploiting a sexual abuse crime to gratify your electoral desires is also pretty shameful.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 06:06:08 PM »
What did they guy actually do?  Didnt Clinton do much worse?
IIRC, Clinton's sexual hijinks where committed with other ADULTS, be they consensual activity such as that with Jennifer Flowers & Monica Lewinsky or as reputed by some sexual assaults on other adult women.  What Foley is facing is accusations of is sexual excapades with MINORS, even if they are "just instant messages".  Such is a big NO-NO in our culture (and rightly so IMAO), folks loose careers, homes, spouses and a goodly chunk of their rights when convicted of such deeds.

I've not been following this all that closely, but if others in either party knew about Foley's activities (should they have actually occured), they share a measure of guilt for not speaking up and acting to put a stop to it.  Frankly I'm not really surprised at this, given the "fun" that has occurred in other Administrations and Sessions of Congress.  Its 2nd hand data so take as you will, but I have a cousin of good character who served as an page/intern with one of our august Congress-critters a few years back, and this individual has told their parents that the level of corruption and depravity in Washingtion D.C is beyond belief.

"...never will you find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy..."

Lobotomy Boy: I hope you are correct about the Military and Intelligence communities actively working to prevent another attack on a sovereign nation based on bad and/or bogus information.  The Republic would be grievously injured by such, and should an attack be nuclear in nature the United States would become a pariah among the other nations.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 06:10:45 PM »
Quote from: mustanger98
I also wonder, if he was abused as a kid, why he'd want to pass that on to more kids.
They usually do.

Lobotomy Boy

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 06:13:04 PM »
Calling for the resignation of a person who covered up for a sexual predator, as the Dems are doing, is a whole lot less disgusting than covering up for a sexual predator. To put this in perspective, imagine if your son was a congressional page and some creepy 50-year-old representative started emailing him with even mildly suggestive messages. You don't need to know that this guy was polishing his monument in the hallway to know that you do not want this pervert around your son or anyone else's son. It was Hastert's responsibility to investigate these very serious charges. Instead, he placed so little import in the matter that he initially forgot he was even told about the incident.

And yes, this is a whole lot worse than Clinton and Lewinski. If anyone tries to tell me that a middle-aged man having consensual relations with an adult women in an office is as bad as or worse than a middle-aged man stalking underage boys on the Internet, well then I suspect we'll be seeing that person on "Dateline's" "To Catch a Predator" series sooner or later. Anyone who believes that what Clinton did is in the same league as what Foley did better stay far, far away from my sons.

Sindawe, I hope I'm right too. If we end up in yet another quagmire in the Middle East, I'm afraid our military will be so overstretched that our enemies will have their way with us.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »
From Wikipedia --

Gerry Eastman Studds (born May 12, 1937) is a retired American politician, born in Mineola, New York. He served as a Democratic Congressman for Massachusetts from 1973 until 1996. He was the first openly homosexual member of the US Congress and, more generally, the first openly gay national politician in the US. In 1983, he admitted having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old male page a decade earlier.

And he. Gerry Studds, was still re- elected.

I still think he, Foley, is a sick SOB but someone needs to get their collective panties unbunched.

Lobotomy Boy

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 06:18:18 PM »
Are you saying that we should accept Republican perverts because some perverted Democrat from a liberal state was re-elected in the past? Given our heightened awareness of pedophiles and sexual predators, I don't believe that even the Democrats would re-elect a perv like that today, except maybe in California.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 06:22:49 PM »
Quote from: Lobotomy Boy
I don't believe that even the Democrats would re-elect a perv like that today, except maybe in California.
Why wouldn't they?  The press would never report it, so it wouldn't matter.

Lobotomy Boy

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
You mean like they didn't report Foley's pedophilia? Or, to be bipartisan, like they didn't report Jefferson's freezer full of cash? First you say you are sick of hearing about this in the press, then you say that the press wouldn't report something like this? Which is it? The answer is obvious; of course they'd report it, just like they already are reporting it. They will report anything that will improve ratings or sell papers, and nothing sells papers like a story on perverts. Just look at the ratings for "Dateline's" "To Catch a Predator" series. They're even better than the ratings for "Deal or No Deal."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 06:48:25 PM »
Which is it?  I want the amount of coverage to be proportional to the importance of the issue at hand.  

But you're right about Jefferson.  Everywhere I go, it's Jefferson, Jefferson, Jefferson.  And they made him resign from his committee seats.  Wait a minute, none of that is true.  

Lobby, do not pretend that the majority of press outlets are not biased to the left.  Everyone knows it.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 06:51:47 PM »
Nope.  I am saying that some people need to stop saying "Bad Republicans" vs. "Bad person".

It isnt a political issue.  It is a criminal issue.  It has happened on both sides of the political aisle and in every facet of society.

*Department of homeland security, religious leaders, truck drivers, students, teachers.  It isn't just 50 yr old politicians.

*See "To Catch A Predator" with Chris Hansen and Perverted-Justice.com

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 07:00:38 PM »
If Hastert knew only what he says he knew* (verbal summaries told him by others about inappropriate & overly familiar emails with a page...the IMs had yet to surface), he can not be reasonably accused of covering anything up.  That is no reason not to sh!tcan him if the Reps keep the House, however.  Plenty of other reasons to give Hastert the boot, IMO.

Folks (in House leadership) who read the emails in their entirety really ought to have applied some of their critical reading skills, as some emails refer to other pages having problems with congresscritters hitting on them.  I think Hastert was ill-served by his lackeys.

I do believe that Hastert & his boys were doing the "Queer Two-Step" to dance around the elephant in the room: nobody wanted to "jump to conclusions" about a gay man's partiality toward young men.  Yeah, everybody was likely thinking it.  But nobody wanted to be accused of being the queer-baiter by the PC priesthood which has christened gay men as secular saints.

The funny thing is, the Democrats & their water-carriers in the media insist that Hastert & Co ought to have assumed that a gay man who had writen overly-familiar email to an underage male was a chomo.  I wonder if they will withdraw their criticism of the Boy Scouts, in light of their new understanding?

Nah, cognitive dissonance is their usual state of mind.

Oh, and I hope Foley rots in Hades.  If convicted of some crime, may he spend his days (& nights) as the object of some other prisoner's desire.

LB:
I do recall the early 1980's page scandal as well as the Barney Fag (..er, Frank!**) prostitution ring.  There was some reporting, but not nearly this intense...and not with the oh-so-convenient timing we see in the Foley mess.

*Corroborated by others

** Two cheers for the first to recall the person who made that particular slip of the tounge.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 07:06:21 PM »
"Teen: are you going to be in town over the veterans day weekend
Maf54: I may be now that your coming
Maf54: who you coming to visit
Teen: haha good stuff
Teen: umm no one really
Maf54: we will be adjourned ny then
Teen: oh good
Maf54: by
Maf54: then we can have a few drinks
Maf54: lol
Teen: yes yes ;-)
Maf54: your not old enough to drink
Teen: shhh&
Maf54: ok
Teen: that's not what my ID says
Teen: lol
Maf54: ok
Teen: I probably shouldn't be telling you that huh
Maf54: we may need to drink at my house so we don't get busted"

"Maf54 (8:03:47 PM): what you wearing
Xxxxxxxxx (8:04:04 PM): normal clothes
Xxxxxxxxx (8:04:09 PM): tshirt and shorts
Maf54 (8:04:17 PM): um so a big buldge
Xxxxxxxxx (8:04:35 PM): ya
Maf54 (8:04:45 PM): um
Maf54 (8:04:58 PM): love to slip them off of you
Xxxxxxxxx (8:05:08 PM): haha
Maf54 (8:05:53 PM): and gram the one eyed snake
Maf54 (8:06:13 PM): grab"

ABC News is saying that they have 52 chat logs from two teenagers.  At least one of the teenagers was supposed to be 15 when the conversation occured.  Now, ANYONE inviting a FIFTEEN year old over for drinks and Lord knows what else deserves to go to jail.  Now, I don't care who knew what I don't care who knew it when--I want this child molester to go on trial ASAP.  Get this creep off our streets, then we can think about other things.

This is a 52 year old man talking like that to teenagers.  Ugghhh.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 07:57:50 PM »
Quote from: jfruser
** Two cheers for the first to recall the person who made that particular slip of the tounge.
Hmmm.  If that wasn't Ted Kennedy, I think it was some other Democrat.