Author Topic: 3-D print your own concrete house  (Read 3827 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: 3-D print your own concrete house
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 11:31:50 PM »
Well, it was 2nd hand info.  Something wasn't right. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 12:03:39 AM »
Screwing up concrete sucks. I had a nimrod knock full forms over driving a bobcat. Full of wet concrete on a 12 foot wall. Also had a icf wall blowout when they tried to fill,it too fast. Both were so memorable I no longer do concrete if I can help it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 12:05:03 AM »
Well, it was 2nd hand info.  Something wasn't right. 
They throw in water so liable bags of the fiber into the mix if someone didn't get the right number of bags in or didn't blend em in well it could screw you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

birdman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 09:35:08 AM »
Possible alternate approach
Have the same gantry, but instead of liquid concrete, have it take a feed of CMUs, and make a stack-block, then drop rebar down the holes, then fill holes with an expanding polymer foam to both consolidate structure and insulate, then spray the outside.
A robot arm to handle CMU's (feed it two types, hollow and solid), an automated chop saw to slice hollow to length for openings, etc, and a feed/cut rebar feeder all seems less complex and faster than "3-D printing" the concrete...faster too, A LOT faster.

I'm thinking a huge-ass Delta-robot (like a pick/place) with support legs on adjustable height struts on little tracked units, but handling blocks, at the speeds of industrial robots (1-2m/s) one could easily get 5-10 blocks a minute...or given a 12x8x6" block size, about 15-30 feet of 10ft high wall per hour.

Better yet, since this already developed the nozzle tech, have it mortar the blocks as well, (easier, patterned nozzle, squirt, set, repeat). 
Robot then follows wall path.

Hell, make it super easy and just cast the blocks with interlocking features to ease setting, and use an industrial adhesive to glue them together.  Once wall is up, robot simultaneously drops a regard down each hole, and fills hole with foam. (Or for really fast fill, a nozzle that shoots foam "peanuts" and a spray of expanding foam simultaneously down the hole)

Given that its super easy to have a robot position/hold a block and have a drop saw cut it, and super easy for it to move/position known size items FAST, this printing one seems almost like an academic excercise.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »
Concrete companies will pour these extra large blocks to empty out the trucks when they come back and haven't completely emptied their loads.

http://www.modernconcreteproducts.com/Services/Large_Concrete_Block.php

About 2' x 2'x 6'.  Add some mortar then build a wood frame inside with a vapor barrier and to run plumbing/electrical/etc.

http://www.modernconcreteproducts.com/Services/Large_Concrete_Block.php
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 11:46:12 AM »
Concrete ain't cheap anymore.
And you can go 24 inches thick
Sure, but the house would last 1000 years. 

24" with foam blocks ???

There are -- they're called "concrete masonry units," or "cinder blocks" in the vernacular. ...
Yeah, but those are relatively flimsy and require skilled labor and "mud" to glue them together.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin