Author Topic: Speed Limits Are Too Low  (Read 10871 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Speed Limits Are Too Low
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »
I've noticed that since I've been riding by motorcycle more often, when I do get in a cage I've changed my driving habits some to look further ahead.  I've always done so but just seems like I've become even more aware.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2014, 03:11:20 PM »
Trouble is you can look too far ahead and miss seeing the brake lights on the car in front  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
I've noticed that since I've been riding by motorcycle more often, when I do get in a cage I've changed my driving habits some to look further ahead.  I've always done so but just seems like I've become even more aware.

The self preservation instinct is strong in this one.

Riding a bike in traffic improves driving either by the riders effort or Darwin's . Either works Darwin is quicker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2014, 03:58:29 PM »
Trouble is you can look too far ahead and miss seeing the brake lights on the car in front

That's always in peripheral vision, and the reason I tend to be that picky bastard who will call DPS in a heartbeat when I see a trailer with the light connector dangling loose...or the safety chains.  If you can't take ten more seconds to hook it up right, it ain't worth hauling.

griz

• friend
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2014, 07:48:25 AM »
You're assuming the lead vehicle is capable of instantaneous deceleration from 75-0MPH.

No I am not.  I'm not saying you will have a physics defying car stopped in 2 tenths of a second.  I'm just saying that's too close for ordinary people on real roads.  You can drive how you want to, but I don't think decreasing your following distance to zero will get you there any faster.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2014, 08:57:54 AM »
No I am not.  I'm not saying you will have a physics defying car stopped in 2 tenths of a second.  I'm just saying that's too close for ordinary people on real roads.  You can drive how you want to, but I don't think decreasing your following distance to zero will get you there any faster.

+1. Not to mention, even if your vehicle's braking is the best ever made, you are still depending on your reaction time to start the braking.

If someone thinks that they are "good enough" to follow extremely closely, then they are probably overestimating their skill.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »
I generally wouldn't tail gate someone, but some idiots on the road, that is the only way to get their attention.  If I follow at a reasonable distance, they just keep blocking the lane. 

The difference is I don't do it very much or for very long.  In my truck I can generally see beyond most vehicles for threats that would cause the person in front to slam on the brakes.  And people who would slam on the brakes just because generally give away signs that they would do so.  They are generally more agressive and less likely to clog traffic anyway. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2014, 10:06:17 AM »
Tailgaters

Decades ago, when I was still in high school, there was an incident where a semi was tailgating a car with some teens in it, for no good reason, at night. With his high beams on.

Did you know when the person in the back seat suddenly turns around and shines the "million candlepower" beam from a Q-Beam spotlight in the semi driver's eyes, he tends to hit the brakes?  >:D

Or so I heard.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
^^^ You know how at airshows the planes have these oil injectors into the exhaust to create a smoke trail ...?  I've often wanted one of those on my vehicle - just push a button and send a smoke cloud into the tailgaters face  =D

Or more simply, I'm about ready to screw the gas mileage and travel in a big pickup again.  You want to tailgate, I tap the brakes and you have a trailer hitch through your radiator  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
^^^ You know how at airshows the planes have these oil injectors into the exhaust to create a smoke trail ...?  I've often wanted one of those on my vehicle - just push a button and send a smoke cloud into the tailgaters face  =D

Or more simply, I'm about ready to screw the gas mileage and travel in a big pickup again.  You want to tailgate, I tap the brakes and you have a trailer hitch through your radiator  >:D

You too could be a coal rolling bro!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2014, 11:01:54 AM »
You too could be a coal rolling bro!
Chan eil mi a tuigsinn ....  ???

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
Decades ago, when I was still in high school, there was an incident where a semi was tailgating a car with some teens in it, for no good reason, at night. With his high beams on.

It's a pretty popular way for jerks around here to indicate their frustration at not being able to pass a car that's only going 10 over the limit on a hilly, winding two-lane.

Did you know when the person in the back seat suddenly turns around and shines the "million candlepower" beam from a Q-Beam spotlight in the semi driver's eyes, he tends to hit the brakes?

A high-end pro flash head out the sunroof works about the same, especially when it's set to multi-strobe on a ~25ms cycle, so the first couple of pops trigger the reflex to look right at the source, with several good pops left to maximize the effect.  A little testing in a safer environment resulted in a whole bunch of purple spots in something of a sawed off shotgun pattern sticking around for a couple minutes instead of the single spot of a normal flash.

I've considered getting a bunch of used disposable cameras and cannibalizing their flashes to rig a large array on the back of a car for this situation.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »
Chan eil mi a tuigsinn ....  ???

You don't know what rolling coal is?

It's when dumbshit hicks who *expletive deleted*ck their cousins and/or siblings turn up the fuel pump on their diesel trucks to pump more fuel into the cylinder, which is not burnt properly, then it blows black smoke out the exhaust pipe. They think they are cool for doing it, but in reality, are stupid mother *expletive deleted*ers.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
[Tailgating is] a pretty popular way for jerks around here to indicate their frustration at not being able to pass a car that's only going 10 over the limit on a hilly, winding two-lane....
You live in Colorado?   :lol:

I guess I'm not a dumbshit hick  :angel:

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »

It's when dumbshit hicks who *expletive deleted* their cousins and/or siblings turn up the fuel pump on their diesel trucks to pump more fuel into the cylinder, which is not burnt properly, then it blows black smoke out the exhaust pipe. They think they are cool for doing it, but in reality, are stupid mother *expletive deleted*ers.

No, those are usually the ones too busy frying eggs or digging ditches so they can pay for their diesel.  The ones rolling coal can't even get their family in the sack, so they settle for farm animals.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2014, 10:07:34 PM »
Tailgaters

Did you know when the person in the back seat suddenly turns around and shines the "million candlepower" beam from a Q-Beam spotlight in the semi driver's eyes, he tends to hit the brakes?  >:D

Or so I heard.
I was driving on a very straight 4 lane highway one evening after dark.  I as on cruise control and a little car came up behind me and got so close I could no longer see his headlights behind my tail gate.  We were the only two cars in sight and he had a lane to pass.  I was afraid to hit the brakes not knowing if he would hit me.  I ended up flashing the brake lights and just letting off the gas.  He finally passed me when I got down to 45 after going 75.  I ended up passing him again but he didn't follow me again.  That car was so small it might have taken my hitch through the windshield. 

That was pretty unusual though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »

It's when dumbshit hicks who *expletive deleted* their cousins and/or siblings turn up the fuel pump on their diesel trucks to pump more fuel into the cylinder, which is not burnt properly, then it blows black smoke out the exhaust pipe. They think they are cool for doing it, but in reality, are stupid mother *expletive deleted*ers.

there are one or two of those down here.  Since the overpasses through town were completed, I don't have to worry about them. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2014, 10:15:50 PM »
I was driving on a very straight 4 lane highway one evening after dark.  I as on cruise control and a little car came up behind me and got so close I could no longer see his headlights behind my tail gate.  We were the only two cars in sight and he had a lane to pass.  I was afraid to hit the brakes not knowing if he would hit me.  I ended up flashing the brake lights and just letting off the gas.  He finally passed me when I got down to 45 after going 75.  I ended up passing him again but he didn't follow me again.  That car was so small it might have taken my hitch through the windshield. 
I've actually pulled over on the shoulder to let people pass and they pull off the road behind me  :facepalm:

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2014, 12:22:37 AM »

sulfer could be fun as well, and no pesky smoke causing legal trouble. >:D

erictank

• friends
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2014, 08:21:33 AM »

Oooo, I get to haul out my favorite stock-issue Tailgate Discouragement Installed Device story!  :laugh:

In the Navy, mid-90s (1994, IIRC), I bought my buddy's Dodge Daytona Pacifica. Nice little car. Peppy 2.2L turbo engine, sporty suspension, pretty nice cockpit gauge layout (including a trip computer, which I'd never seen before), and the nicest seats I've had before or since. Recaros. Being stationed in the Hampton Roads area of SE VA, I naturally encountered other young men on the roads and highways around the base and stores and malls. Being young men, the tendency to drive... aggressively... was strong. There was a *LOT* of tailgating, often for no better reason than "Just because," (either because one or more alternate lanes was open for passing, or because no one was going any faster ANYWHERE no matter what).

The shift lever on the manual transmission had a Reverse function I'd never seen before. You lift up on this little slip ring with the transmission in Neutral, and you can pull the lever all the way over to the left (*NOT* the right, which was weird), and push it up into Reverse. Well, with that ring pull up and the lever all the way over to the left, but not pushed up yet, the switch for the reverse lights is made up. Instant anti-tailgate mechanism - someone riding your bumper? Come off the gas, go to N and pull up on that ring, pull the shift lever hard left but to not push up. Reverse lights come on, and like magic, the tailgater instantly decides he'd rather be anywhere else in the WORLD than right on my bumper, *RFN*.

I've often thought I'd like to have that function again in my vehicles, over the years. Even just a manual switch to make them come on as needed, in situations like that.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2014, 10:17:48 AM »
The shift lever on the manual transmission had a Reverse function I'd never seen before. You lift up on this little slip ring with the transmission in Neutral, and you can pull the lever all the way over to the left (*NOT* the right, which was weird), and push it up into Reverse. Well, with that ring pull up and the lever all the way over to the left, but not pushed up yet, the switch for the reverse lights is made up. Instant anti-tailgate mechanism - someone riding your bumper? Come off the gas, go to N and pull up on that ring, pull the shift lever hard left but to not push up. Reverse lights come on, and like magic, the tailgater instantly decides he'd rather be anywhere else in the WORLD than right on my bumper, *RFN*.

My Datsun 720 had an even better anti-tailgating feature on the shifter; a missing boot.  A handful of gravel, old AA batteries, or road-found lugnuts down the hole, and tailgaters disappear.  Bonus; I could stick the tire iron through the front U-joint when the parking brake was acting up.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2014, 11:16:21 AM »
My Datsun 720 had an even better anti-tailgating feature on the shifter; a missing boot.  A handful of gravel, old AA batteries, or road-found lugnuts down the hole, and tailgaters disappear.  Bonus; I could stick the tire iron through the front U-joint when the parking brake was acting up.

All I can think of is

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2014, 12:34:47 PM »

Between that post and KD5NRH's old avatar, all I could think of was this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0639620/?ref_=ttep_ep13
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2014, 01:43:02 PM »
Between that post and KD5NRH's old avatar, all I could think of was this:

Darn.  Couldn't even get one of the episodes with Julia Nickson in it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »
Darn.  Couldn't even get one of the episodes with Julia Nickson in it.

:laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."