Author Topic: I Think I Just Found Hope for Democrats  (Read 3161 times)

CAnnoneer

• friend
I Think I Just Found Hope for Democrats
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 07:27:21 AM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
"Corporatism"???
Corporatism: "Anything that is good for our friends in Corporate America is good for America. Anything that is bad for our friends in Corporate America is bad for America."

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 07:41:45 AM »
Well, my gun store is incorporated as 123Shoot Inc.  So I guess I am part of "corporate America."

How long you been laid off?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2006, 08:51:22 AM »
Wikipedia says:

Historically, corporatism or corporativism (Italian corporativismo) is a political system in which legislative power is given to civic assemblies that represent economic, industrial, agrarian, and professional groups. Unlike pluralism, in which many groups must compete for control of the state, in corporatism, certain unelected bodies take a critical role in the decision-making process. These corporatist assemblies are not the same as contemporary business corporations or incorporated groups.
I would pick a different word.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 09:05:29 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Wikipedia says:

Historically, corporatism or corporativism (Italian corporativismo) is a political system in which legislative power is given to civic assemblies that represent economic, industrial, agrarian, and professional groups. Unlike pluralism, in which many groups must compete for control of the state, in corporatism, certain unelected bodies take a critical role in the decision-making process. These corporatist assemblies are not the same as contemporary business corporations or incorporated groups.
Remember Wikipedia doesn't always speek the truth
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2006, 09:05:50 AM »
There isnt a word for what he is describing because it doesn't exist.  It is a figment of conspiracy theorists, Leftists, and other moonbats.  Mix in some rhetoric about "Neo-Cons" and "Amen Corners" and you have the American Nazi Party.  Add rhetoric about "exploitation" and "oppressed peoples" and you have modern university Marxism.  A paranoia for the right and the left.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2006, 09:12:39 AM »
At the extremes, extreme "right" and extreme "left" turn into the same thing.  Thats part of the reason the "left-right" political spectrum is a flawed anaology.  Correctly, one should rate competeing models of governence on the "More - Less" scale, depending on hte amount of governemnt interference/involvement in an average citizen's day to day existence.  For example, the United States * USED * to be a "constitutionally limited republic", which, on the "More - Less" scale is just to the "more" side of anarchy.  For a counter example of the "Left - Right" model, Nazism and Italian Fascism were considered to be "extreme right", and Soviet Communism was considered "extreme left", yet they were ALL socilaist, and ALL of them would line you up agaisnt the wall and put a bullet in your head for being an "...enemy of the state".  So down at the practical why-are-you-executing-me level, they were the same, and would be far to the "more" side on the "More - Less" cale, more or less.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2006, 09:27:43 AM »
I see the point but don't think it is adequate to explain things.  And I hadnt realized our Constitution had been changed so radically.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2006, 09:31:13 AM »
Quote from: charby
Remember Wikipedia doesn't always speek the truth
Charby, draw what conclusions about my diet that you will.  I'm not trying to pick on you, because you're not the only one doing this lately.  I'm really tired of these obvious comments and the implications they make.  Of course, no source is exempt from questioning.  I wasn't saying that Wikipedia was the last word.  I was simply pointing out that "corporatism" was already in use to describe something else.  If you think Wiki is using a bad definition, then explain why.  

I could have gone on  to explain that the word "corporate" has many other uses besides that dealing with business practices, and that makes "corporatism" a poor term for what CAnny was describing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2006, 09:42:11 AM »
I see the point but don't think it is adequate to explain things.  And I hadnt realized our Constitution had been changed so radically.
The Civil War began the undoing of the Constitution, which was accelerated by the traitor FDR, and finally implimented when "penumbrations" etc were cited in Roe vs. Wade.  Now laws in other countries and unenacted treaties are used by the majority of Supremes to justify their legislating from the bench - and Congress doesn't have the guts to impeach them for violating their oath of office, because half of them agree with the "short way round", and half of the half that's left wants to do the same thing as soon as they have a majority.  That's why we have "money" that isn't legal money, the "interstate commerce clause" stretched way beyond its initial preemption of state trade wars to include an unlimited police power at thte federal level, etc, etc, etc...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »
I think that Reagan was the last relatively middle of the road president that we've had... And I think the main reason he got elected was because the Dems couldn't field a truly viable candidate.

As for the religious fanatics... I know a fellow who claims that his kids don't really need meds for asthma, an infection, etc... Instead, they should pray.

Sheesh. I feel very sorry for the children.
Blog under construction

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2006, 03:00:47 PM »
And I hadnt realized our Constitution had been changed so radically.
The Constitution hasn't been changed to radically, but the government's adherence to the limitations place upon it by the Constitution has.
Andy

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »
I agree in the strictest sense and disagree in a looser sense. The general behavior and result are the same. Our modern corporatists do not exercise direct legislative power. They simply hire politicians to do it for them. It is cheaper, more efficient, less work, and far less responsibility for them.

How does "neocorporatism" sound?

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2006, 04:32:22 PM »
There isnt a word for what he is describing because it doesn't exist.  It is a figment ...  A paranoia for the right and the left.
Hehehehe. Big business makes tens of millions of dollars of campaign contributions out of the goodness of their hearts, doesn't it? Move along. Nothing to see here.