Author Topic: Was Jack the Ripper Aaron Kosminski?  (Read 1906 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Was Jack the Ripper Aaron Kosminski?
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:21:09 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746321/Jack-Ripper-unmasked-How-amateur-sleuth-used-DNA-breakthrough-identify-Britains-notorious-criminal-126-years-string-terrible-murders.html#ixzz3Cf1Up0b8

I have read several books and articles over the years arguing for this.  It will be interesting to see if peer review confirms the DNA findings, although I do wonder about the provenance of the shawl.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:18:39 AM »
What difference, at this point, does it make?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re:
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:59:33 AM »
What difference, at this point, does it make?

Confirmation will throw thousands out of work, forcing them onto the welfare rolls.

Oh, wait!  They are mostly "academics" - already on the welfare ride.

Never mind.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Was Jack the Ripper Aaron Kosminski?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »
Back in 1989 when we went to England (Britain), we did the Jack the Ripper walking tour (we also did the haunted London and a pub crawl), but our guide also pointed out that Kominski was the most likely perp.  He had trained as a barber in Poland, which at that time meant that they were surgeons and bloodletters as well as haircutters.  i.e. see why barber poles are red and white.  So he would have had a rudimentary knowledge of anatomy, along with surgical tools.  

IIRC, he had been in the Polish army as a barber but left after Poland lost one of the (many) wars they fought against Russia, et al.  (I may be mis-remembering that) anyway, the murders only began once he moved to London (he had lived elsewhere with with family, IIRC), and ended when he was locked up in the Booby Hatch.  

I was a fun walk and interesting to go to the exact spots where the murders took place.  We also stopped for a pint about half-way through and then another pub at the end, until the night bell rang.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 02:56:07 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
Back in 1989 when we went to England (Britain), we did the Jack the Ripper walking tour (we also did the haunted London and a pub crawl), but our guide also pointed out that Kominski was the most likely perp.  He had trained as a barber in Poland, which at that time meant that they were surgeons and bloodletters as well as haircutters.  i.e. see why barber poles are red and white.  So he would have had a rudimentary knowledge of anatomy, along with surgical tools. 

IIRC, he had been in the Polish army as a barber but left after Poland lost one of the (many) wars they fought against Russia, et al.  (I may be mis-remembering that) anyway, the murders only began once he moved to London (he had lived elsewhere with with family, IIRC), and ended when he was locked up in the Booby Hatch. 

I was a fun walk and interesting to go to the exact spots where the murders took place.  We also stopped for a pin about half-way through and then another pub at the end, until the night bell rang.

That sounds tourist-y, but the good kind of tourist-y.  :cool:

Mrs. Dual and I took a "ghost tour" of Charleston, and the guide immediately said you wouldn't see a ghost, and he'd never seen a ghost, but he promised us a good tour, and he was right, all sorts of local history, crimes, scandals, and little tidbits of trivia, and how it related to American/Charleston history, pre Revolutionary War, and pre and post and during the Civil War.  No drinking though, unless you'd wanted to before and afterward.

I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »
That sounds tourist-y, but the good kind of tourist-y.  :cool:

Mrs. Dual and I took a "ghost tour" of Charleston, and the guide immediately said you wouldn't see a ghost, and he'd never seen a ghost, but he promised us a good tour, and he was right, all sorts of local history, crimes, scandals, and little tidbits of trivia, and how it related to American/Charleston history, pre Revolutionary War, and pre and post and during the Civil War.  No drinking though, unless you'd wanted to before and afterward.

Yep, that's what these were.  The Ghost Tour had a lot of Black Death mass graves, old churches and a Hospital as part of it.  IIRC, it started at a bit that was the original part of the Roman Wall of Londinium.  The Tower of London Tour was very, very interesting.  Including getting to throw one back with the Yeomen of the Guard in their mess at the Tower. Pub stops on London tours seemed to be de rigueur.  But yes, lots of history, tidibts of trivia, etc.  Each was well worth the price (and there's nothing like walking through the various parts of London at night.) 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Was Jack the Ripper Aaron Kosminski?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »
Pub stops on a walking tour sound most civilized.

Darn near converted to roman catholic when one of the kids' schoolmates invited us to a birthday party held at the knihhts of columbus swimming pool.  The kid's dad forgot to mention the full reasonably priced bar inside with the jack and coke slushies.  It was nearly 100deg but us adults were in shade sucking down beers and margaritas on the rocks.  THAT is how its done.  I took notes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »

Darn near converted to roman catholic when one of the kids' schoolmates invited us to a birthday party held at the knihhts of columbus swimming pool.  The kid's dad forgot to mention the full reasonably priced bar inside with the jack and coke slushies.  It was nearly 100deg but us adults were in shade sucking down beers and margaritas on the rocks.  THAT is how its done.  I took notes.

I was a groomsman at the wedding of a guy who's now an Anglican priest. We got fancy little cups as gifts, which we christened with Scotch before the ceremony.

If I was to join a monastic order it'd be one of the Trappist ones that brew beer.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »
^^^Sign me up for one of the monastic orders that make the great fruitcake.  I can be the Brother in charge of quality control.  Frequent sampling will be necessary to do a good job.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 09:21:29 PM »
There was an old woman who did a ghost tour of Harper's Ferry that was great. She was one of those people who just knew how to tell a story. I always wonder if someone has continued that tradition and if they are as good as she was. (I highly doubt she's still doing it, she was easily in her 70's when I went on the tour and I was maybe 9 or 10)

I don't really go for ghost stories, because I'm a scardy cat, but ghost tours in historic cities are a good way to get some history and have fun.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 10:18:23 PM »
"If a ghost can harm you.... you can harm the ghost."

Just holler BOO! back at them. :D

Terrible Terry
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:22:03 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 11:05:40 PM »
How long does the Jack the Ripper tour take, cause I'm thinking it would be way down the list of fascinating historical tours.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:16:15 AM »

I was a fun walk and interesting to go to the exact spots where the murders took place.  We also stopped for a pint about half-way through and then another pub at the end, until the night bell rang.
Errr, a pint of WHAT?! :O :O

:lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »
Errr, a pint of WHAT?! :O :O

:lol:

Ale,  probably.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »

It comes in pints? I'm getting one!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
I was a groomsman at the wedding of a guy who's now an Anglican priest. We got fancy little cups as gifts, which we christened with Scotch before the ceremony.

If I was to join a monastic order it'd be one of the Trappist ones that brew beer.

There was (and still is) one on the mountain in Ober Wildflicken.  The first time I was there was when we did "Wild Fun at WildChicken"  aka Gunnery.  After all was said and done we took a tour of the Monestary and got to sample the local brew.  The closest I ever came to religion was when I was talking to the abbot(?) and he said "G-d told us to brew bier."  I almost signed up right there and then.   :angel: :angel:  :angel:

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »

I used to teach at a Catholic School, many years ago. Friday of Catholic School's Week was always Teacher Appreciation Day, so at the end of that day there was all the free drinks you could drink at the K of C hall until 7pm.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 05:06:27 PM »

http://www.chimay.com/

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 06:17:34 PM »
Why would you join a a Frog monastery unless you wanted to make wine.  Germans know how to brew bier.

http://www.kreuzbergbier.de/

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 08:44:37 PM »
My mom did a week retreat at a local abbey (No, I don't know why she did this. She's not Catholic and, at this point, I'm guessing she could only barely be considered Christian) that makes fancy cheese. She did not bring back any fancy cheese.
After reading this thread, I'm gonna tell her if ever does that again, she damn well better go someplace that makes something stronger than cheese, and she better bring back gifts!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds