Author Topic: Ever fail a class?  (Read 6508 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Ever fail a class?
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 03:28:20 AM »
I got a minor in Psych out of those 2 last Psych courses so don't worry, far as I can tell none of you are any crazier than me, except fistful maybe... Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Ever fail a class?
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 05:08:18 AM »
I have no silver bullet.

I managed to get a Physics degree mostly from profs who did not teach...unless you call xeroxing the textbook on to slides and reading them to us during class time teaching.  Their research, OTOH, got tender loving care and attention.

Oh, and the math beyond Calc required for some of the work...got to learn that on the fly, too.

Physics would be easier if you got your degree in Math, first.

Your situation sounds ugly & ominous.  I would recommend buying that other textbook, giving your other classes only the attention needed to "B" them, shut off all social interaction, and spend your time hitting the thermo.  If you contact your prof, have a couple of well thought-out questions that get to the point.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Ever fail a class?
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2006, 05:17:43 AM »
Yea, I kinda had a problem with professors trying to hijack me (for free) to work on their pet projects. In music they aren't researching, just trying to get that big break. Running to get the prof lunch and coffee cause she's in the studio trying to record a take is not my idea of edjamacation...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Ever fail a class?
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 01:30:59 PM »
Quote from: charby
Quote from: fistful
The faculty doesn't have time?  Then what are they for?
Oh boy this could open a can of worms. I work at a land grant university and it seems more emphasis is placed on research than teaching. Funny thing is that their advertisements sure don't say it. Most engineering programs are at research institutions. Some professors look at teaching as a necessary evil to keep a position at a University, you can tell when taking a class who those professors are.

-C
Part of the reason I am leaving CS.  Always got that impression, except for a couple decent grad students I had.

I got two 'W''s  (withdrew) on my transcript right now.  I just don't let it bother me.  I'll try again later with another prof (which is why I got out of both of them).
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

client32

• friend
Ever fail a class?
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2006, 03:34:27 AM »
Yes, I have failed a class.  I was cruising through the class on my way to a D.  That was all i needed. It was some higher level math class (above Calc 2), not all that hard, but I didn't put in any effort.  Anyways, I missed the mark of D by 2 points on my fnal exam.  That is it.  All I needed was 2 more lousy points on the final.  I won't indulge what happend after that, but I felt I got shafted.

Oh and to top it all of, this was going to be my last sememster for my undergrad.  Sad

Life went on.  I took a class the next semster and graduated.  I couldn't take the same class because it was only offered one semester a year.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Ever fail a class?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2006, 03:46:15 AM »
Can't you find a grad student to tutor you? No TA's? Sometimes all it takes is to get the right insight to make it click.

Chem was my downfall. Failed it the first time and got a C on the second try. Life goes on.