Author Topic: Small business HR policies....  (Read 2115 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Small business HR policies....
« on: October 05, 2006, 04:48:24 PM »
...I'm wondering if anyone has a good sample small business HR policy.  I'm finding alot of info on the net, but I'd love to find something that someone uses that works well.  Also a good weapons policy (obviously I'll allow lawful possesion, but I'm not sure on the wording)
My wife and I are running a fast growing home business.  Currently we have two employees we know well, and both are on a very part time basis (one 2 days a week, one 1 day a week).  When we get to Virginny we're going to be hiring from scratch, and I need to be able to set policies in stone to make dealing with someone I don't know easier, plus to help me in being clear on expectations of the new employee.  Obviously there will be room for adjustments, and its a learning curve, but a good model would be nice.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 09:29:54 AM »
BTT
Anyone?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 10:08:26 AM »
Universities usually have their HR policy on the web, you could just borrow parts from them.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 10:32:27 AM »
One of the advantages small businesses have over large businesses is the lack of institutional inertia (such as HR policy).

Just a thought.  

Is Virgina a Right to Work state?  If so, you and your employees can parts ways at the drop of a hat.

A university HR policy is not something I would consciously emulate.

Good luck.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 11:48:27 AM »
Yea I've read a couple parts of some HR policies from a university and I wasn't impressed.
Basically, I'm looking to set policy on things like vacation and sick time and unpaid time.  Things like that.  I think some policies should be in writing with the understanding that if it doesn't work we will make appropriate changes.
My wife and I strive to be good employers.
I'm probably going to need to come up with a list of things that we need to have policy up and make up the policies.  From there I'm sure its going to be subject to change...
JD

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 12:26:37 PM »
My suggestion is not to waste too much time on HR manuals. They tend to be thought of as contracts by your employees and a tiny business like yours does not need the baggage.

My suggestion is something pretty simple, maybe a few pages.

I would suggest that in lieu of sick days, if you are going to have paid sick days, roll them into the overall paid time off structure. Otherwsie you reward those who call in sick just to take a day off with pay.

I suggest basing paid time off on hours worked, so PT employees benefit as well. Maybe 1 hour paid time off for every 15 worked that can be taken as holidays, sick time, or vacation time more or less as the employee chooses. pay it out if it is not used by the end of the year.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 01:17:21 PM »
I wouldn't do a buy out at the end of the year, have a use it or loose it policy, or they can hold up to two years with time in the bank. When you offer paid time off you are expecting the employee to use it not sit on it.

I do like the idea of calling it all paid time off, instead of sick leave/vacation.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 04:08:31 AM »
I wish I could give you a quick and easy answer, but HR is a minefield and it takes someone who knows their way around to write a good (legal) policy manual.
My wife is in HR ( PHR cert) and wrote the P&P manual for a small business. It took over a year to get it finalized.
Best advice: outsource!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 04:44:27 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
...I'm wondering if anyone has a good sample small business HR policy.  I'm finding alot of info on the net, but I'd love to find something that someone uses that works well.  Also a good weapons policy (obviously I'll allow lawful possesion, but I'm not sure on the wording)
My wife and I are running a fast growing home business.  Currently we have two employees we know well, and both are on a very part time basis (one 2 days a week, one 1 day a week).  When we get to Virginny we're going to be hiring from scratch, and I need to be able to set policies in stone to make dealing with someone I don't know easier, plus to help me in being clear on expectations of the new employee.  Obviously there will be room for adjustments, and its a learning curve, but a good model would be nice.
I'll make a stab at wording for your "weapons" policy.

"Posession or use of weapons (on company property, or on company time), that is illegal in Virginia is prohibited, and subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination"

And then enforce the rule with common sense. If an employee slips and their gun is visible when it shouldn't be, tell them to cover it up. If they shoot somebody over a parking space fire them.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

...has left the building.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 05:19:30 AM »
If I had more than one employee, I would definitely have a clear HR policy in place.

http://www.elinfonet.com/HR_RZ.php

This looks useful; just pick and choose what you want to include.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 05:27:42 AM »
"If they shoot somebody over a parking space fire them." Well yeah, I would think so.

I'm with the guys that say roll time off up in one ball of entitlement. As for other policies, I'd lean toward getting your "team" to help you develop them. That's leadership. You're always the boss and can change your mind.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 05:51:24 AM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
"Posession or use of weapons (on company property, or on company time), that is illegal in Virginia is prohibited, and subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination"

And then enforce the rule with common sense. If an employee slips and their gun is visible when it shouldn't be, tell them to cover it up. If they shoot somebody over a parking space fire them.
Instead of singling out firearms, why not just make a statement that "Illegal acts may not be committed on the premises or while engaged in company business. Violation of the policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination." That covers a world of sins, including drug use, speeding, and embezzlement.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 05:53:14 AM »
Quote from: charby
I wouldn't do a buy out at the end of the year, have a use it or loose it policy, or they can hold up to two years with time in the bank. When you offer paid time off you are expecting the employee to use it not sit on it.
-C
The only problem with allowing them to carry it over is the record keeping and tax issues. You also now have a liability that has to be shown as such on your balance sheet, which makes your balance sheet less clean when you visit your friendly banker. Best to pay it out at the end of the year and not have to keep track of it.
bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »
I spent a couple years in HR (and only a couple, thank goodness...).

The best advice I can give is don't be overly specific in your HR policies. Too many times people try to write HR policies that cover each and every possible aspect of every situation. All you end up with is pages and pages of uselessly technical drivel that only serves to give someone a way to weasel out of something on leaglistic grounds ("...but the policiy didn't say anything about this!").

In other words, be specifically vague. Give the general outlines of the policy without delving too deeply into specifics. Write your policies to be more of a statement of intent that allows for you to judge situations based on the facts at hand rather than be hemmed into a corner with an overly specific (but uselessly counter-productive) existing policy.

For example:

Poor Policy (this policy actually exists!) - "Employees shall be at work by 8:00 AM. Employees may be as much as ten (10) minutes late if unavoidable delays are encountered. Employees later than ten (10) minutes must provide documentation as to the nature of the delay. Employees more than one (1) hour late may be subject to disciplinary action. Employees may opt to use available vacation or sick time in lieu of disciplinary action in this situation (minumum of one-half day increments). Employees who do not work within this policy may be required to meet with a supervisor."

Good Policy - "Business hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Employees shall be available to perform their job duties during these times. Employees unable to adhere to this policy may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employement."

The first policy is too wordy and contains enough loopholes to drive a Greyhound bus through. The second states the basic intent of the policy, but leaves the door wide open for management/owners to make decisions based on the merits of a given situation.

Don't forget the magic phrase "Employees unable to adhere to this policy may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employement." With very few exceptions, every section of the employee handbook should end with this statement.

Oh, and always reserve the right of the owners/management to make a unique dicision. Something along the lines of:

"At any time this Guide to Employment may be revised. Revisions become effective upon employee notification. Furthermore, the Company reserves the unrestricted right to make merit-based decisions on specific situations, even if such decisions may appear to be contrary to the terms set forth in this Guide."

As for the firearms policy, I suggest you have a none-policy. In other words, something that addresses the issue from a "third-party" standpoint. Have a section in the handbook that says something to the effect of:

"Firearms in the Workplace
Employees found in violation of applicable local, state, or federal laws will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment. Such situations will, if necessary, be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency."

There. If they aren't doing anything illegal then everything is great and wonderful. If they do something illegal, fire their butt and turn them over to the police. You didn't say a single thing to encourage carrying, you just iterated that illegal behavior will not be tolerated. Ergo, legal concealed carry is fine.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 12:50:52 PM »
Quote from: ilbob
Quote from: Stand_watie
"Posession or use of weapons (on company property, or on company time), that is illegal in Virginia is prohibited, and subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination"And then enforce the rule with common sense. If an employee slips and their gun is visible when it shouldn't be, tell them to cover it up. If they shoot somebody over a parking space fire them.
Instead of singling out firearms, why not just make a statement that "Illegal acts may not be committed on the premises or while engaged in company business. Violation of the policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination." That covers a world of sins, including drug use, speeding, and embezzlement.
You're right, that's better. It might want to be repeated several times under  specific headers as such as Brad illustrated, just to address the possible liability of "not having a workplace violence policy".
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 05:21:28 AM »
Brad:
I love your wording on the weapons policy, I'd probably change the wording to Weapons to be less specific.  Also I'd probably add some language about legally possessed weapons shall be in the employees control at all times.  Being a home office, I'd want it to be clear that anything left where my children could accidentally get it (Ie, purse left on floor) could lead to discipline.

Daniel:
Great link.  I've also been given another policy I can download and edit as I see fit.

I appreciate the input from ya'll.  Some thoughtful minds hanging out in here.

Once I get a good feel for the new emplyee(s) I might offer CFP's as an under the counter type of job benefit.
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 03:42:29 PM »
Well, I'm knee deep in one I got from a place called www.workplacetoolbox.com
Here's my weapons and violence policies.
4.9 WEAPONS POLICY

Weapon possession shall be in compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.  Lawfully possessed weapons shall be in immediate control of the employee at all times.  Failure to do so may result in immediate termination.

4.10 VIOLENCE IN THE WORKPLACE

Violence, the threat of violence, harassment, intimidation, and threatening behavior will not be tolerated in the workplace.

Thoughts?
JD

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 04:29:20 PM »
WHoa, there pardner!  That looks mighty reasonable to be a bit of HR verbiage.  Are you sure your heart's in this whole HR thingamajig?  Maybe you could put in a mention of "diversity*"  SOmething like a preamble, "In an effort to promote diversity in the workplace, weapos possesion shall be..."

* "Diversity" gets quotes because it really isn't that diverse.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 04:48:05 PM »
Well, I *did* ban "flip flop" shoes.  And the wife made me ban "mini skirts"
Sad
JD

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 10:06:57 AM »
Did a teensy bit of editing to "flesh out" the policies.

Weapon possession shall be in compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.  Lawfully possessed weapons shall be in immediate control of the employee at all times.  Noncompliance with this policy may result in discliplinary action up to and including termination of employment. Unlawful activities will be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

4.10 VIOLENCE IN THE WORKPLACE

Violence or the threat of violence, harassment, intimidation, and threatening behavior will not be tolerated in the workplace. Employees engaging in such behavior may face disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment. Hazardous or threatening behavior will be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

And the wife made me ban "mini skirts"
We need to talk....

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 10:58:42 AM »
I like, thanks!

We need to talk....
?
JD