Author Topic: Remember when Japan was going to dominate the world economy?  (Read 3975 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Remember when Japan was going to dominate the world economy?
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2014/09/24/japan-apocalypse-now-or-apocalypse-later/

Sounds like those days are a fading memory.  I have read several articles about the aging demographics of the country and the dire implications this has for the nation.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
Re: Remember when Japan was going to dominate the world economy?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
I always enjoyed how 80's movies often have some conspicuous Japan - related dialog or theme that always seems slightly odd from this side of the bubble. Back to the Future,  Die Hard, In the Line of Fire, of course Blade Runner, are a few I can think of off the top of my head.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »
I have read several articles about the aging demographics of the country and the dire implications this has for the nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbivore_men

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »
Modern Japan will be studied in history classes many years from now alongside America as an example of national suicide.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
And for many of the same root causes at that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
Modern Japan will be studied in history classes many years from now alongside America as an example of national suicide.

I've been wondering for a while now who will make things work after the "old white guy" engineers all retire or die  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »
I've been wondering for a while now who will make things work after the "old white guy" engineers all retire or die  =|
Is it the engineers or the really experienced technicians?  

I do see a lot of talented engineers coming into our company.  The problem I see is all the smart people are pushed to college and such and there are fewer really good blue collar technicians.  A lot of trades require a lot of time doing hard work learning the trade and fewer guys stick with that if they have better options.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 02:32:30 AM »

I do see a lot of talented engineers coming into our company.  The problem I see is all the smart people are pushed to college and such and there are fewer really good blue collar technicians.  A lot of trades require a lot of time doing hard work learning the trade and fewer guys stick with that if they have better options.

Those options are becoming less and less better all the time. If you can start work at 18 making $30/hour with all the OT you want, the lower eventual top end salary is more than compensated for by the opportunity cost of college. Not to mention student loan burdens, the people who get a degree then can't find a job, the e people who are making on the lower end of the pays ale for an engineering  degree not the top, the people who fail out of school for whatever reason  etc.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »
I have a master's degree and 5 years experience in a poorly - chosen industry. My friends who never went to college universally make more than I do, in the oil boom. Some of them make well north of 150k, which I won't hope to see in my job unless I become an executive.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »

It's both working together that have the best results. A lot of the biggest problems in industry are from isolating the engineers from the production line.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
I always enjoyed how 80's movies often have some conspicuous Japan - related dialog or theme that always seems slightly odd from this side of the bubble. Back to the Future,  Die Hard, In the Line of Fire, of course Blade Runner, are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

The dominance of Japanese high tech companies and the Yakuza, in William Gibson's Neuromancer trilogy and related short pieces.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 12:01:16 PM »
I have a master's degree and 5 years experience in a poorly - chosen industry. My friends who never went to college universally make more than I do, in the oil boom. Some of them make well north of 150k, which I won't hope to see in my job unless I become an executive.

Try two master's degrees, a law degree and 30 years experience in healthcare, and I still don't make $ 150K.  And yet I see kids a few years out of college who make more than me working in software.  It is all supply and demand, friends.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
I've been wondering for a while now who will make things work after the "old white guy" engineers all retire or die  =|
Take a look at the movie "Idiocracy" for a hint . . . and I don't think it will take the movie's 500 years to reach that point. Just consider that NASA - repeatedly! - put men on the moon and brought them back in the 60s and 70s, and now, 40 years later, the USA has NO repeat NO manned space flight capability! We have to go to Russia, hat in hand, to put our people in orbit. BUT . . . NASA has diversity and EEOC goals so it's a kinder, gentler, more inclusive employer.

Or, casting your gaze abroad, look at places like Zimbabwe and RSA to see what happens when the nasty, hateful old white guys are given the boot.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »
Try two master's degrees, a law degree and 30 years experience in healthcare, and I still don't make $ 150K.  And yet I see kids a few years out of college who make more than me working in software.  It is all supply and demand, friends.

Never have so many been paid so much to produce such a crappy product  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 08:59:03 PM »
The dominance of Japanese high tech companies and the Yakuza, in William Gibson's Neuromancer trilogy and related short pieces.

Wait, Neuromancer is like my favorite book. There is a trilogy?
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »
Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 12:01:35 PM »

+ a gazillionty. On the other hand, the software workers who are making 150K are working in areas where they cannot afford to live on a 150k salary.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 12:07:23 PM »
From 1974 until 1978, I worked at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel repairing newspaper vending boxes, a job I did while going full time to photo school. The job paid $5.78 an hour, which is the equivalent of $28 and change today. It's been quite a few years since I made $28 an hour.  (Yes, I realize that the job is not paying $28 an hour today,  but that's today's equivalent buying power).

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 12:31:58 PM »
+ a gazillionty. On the other hand, the software workers who are making 150K are working in areas where they cannot afford to live on a 150k salary.

I live in that same area as do the software workers making $ 150 K (the greater Seattle area) and you can live quite nicely on $ 150 K per year.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
China's going to implode, and it'll be bad when it does.  Either because of a second hit to the global recession doe to bad U.S. and other countries monetary policy, or China's own internal bubbles, the real-estate bubble (entire empty cities for 2-10 Million people, all new construction) and the manipulations and cover-up by the command-economy elements of their government.

Whether there's a war put on top of it all as icing on the whole turd-cake it'll be remains to be seen.
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
^^^ Illustrative to AJ's point is this interesting post I read the other day:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-chinese-military-is-a-paper-dragon-8a12e8ef7edc

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
China's going to implode, and it'll be bad when it does.  Either because of a second hit to the global recession doe to bad U.S. and other countries monetary policy, or China's own internal bubbles, the real-estate bubble (entire empty cities for 2-10 Million people, all new construction) and the manipulations and cover-up by the command-economy elements of their government.

Whether there's a war put on top of it all as icing on the whole turd-cake it'll be remains to be seen.

They'll have to start a war eventually, only way to focus internal unrest on an external enemy. Or just kick the colonization of Africa up a few notches.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 02:04:33 PM »
They'll have to start a war eventually, only way to focus internal unrest on an external enemy. Or just kick the colonization of Africa up a few notches.

Or burn off excess male population due to the male/female disparity.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »
Or burn off excess male population due to the male/female disparity.

Tens of millions of angry, horny, unemployed, military age males with nothing to do and no one to be with. Raping and pillaging the natives to secure glory and natural resources for the Fatherland seems like a natural outcome.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 02:10:59 PM »
Just read a newspaper story about massive demonstrations and civil unrest in Hong Kong . . . news of which is being rigorously suppressed in the rest of China.

Seems the Chinese overlords aren't too keen on observing either the letter or spirit of the agreement in which Hong Kong reverted back to Chinese control in 1997 . . . and the people don't like that at all.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain