Author Topic: The Best Pizzas in America  (Read 11836 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Best Pizzas in America
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:05:45 PM »
They might all be good, but the only one that actually looks like a pizza is #2. I'd be almost more inclined to grab a "take and bake" from Costco (which I often do, adding extra cheese and toppings before I throw it in my oven).

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/09/24/best-pizzas-in-america-2014/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Best Pizzas in America
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »
I'd give 2, 5, and 8 a try. And Margherita (sp?) is not my thing, but I will give it props for starting the whole, delicious genre. Leave it to the Americans to perfect what the Italians started.

I used to be a stickler for the super- thin crust, but I am really loving the thick crust from Jets, these days.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:38:40 PM »
Some of the best pizza I ever had was some by-the-slice stuff in Boston. I can't remember what the place is called, but there's a giant building/mall that is all food shops of one sort or another. I got it in one of the Italian places there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: The Best Pizzas in America
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:50:56 PM »
Not a single Chicago style on the list, therefore it's crap.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 12:18:50 AM »
Some of the best pizza I ever had was some by-the-slice stuff in Boston. I can't remember what the place is called, but there's a giant building/mall that is all food shops of one sort or another. I got it in one of the Italian places there.

Faniuel Hall Market?  Or the old Haymarket Farmer's Mart?

As for all of those pictured - they appear to be some sort of baked soft cracker with "stuff" on them, but not one looks like a proper pizza.

And yes, there is much good to be said for a Chicago-style deep dish casserole but it is not the be-all and end-all of the genre.  As an example, the best pizza on this side of the river that runs through River City is to be found at a hole in the wall Chinese food place.  Which may also be a comment on the quality of pizza available.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 12:31:32 AM »
Correct. Another elitist author who doesn't understand culture exists beyobd the coasts.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:39:04 AM »
"There are only three pizza places on the planet: Sally's, Pepe, andModern, all in New Haven,” confided director Gorman Bechard, who is working on a pizza documentary Pizza, A Love Story.

I have eaten at all three. They are all so good that people drive from NYC to New Haven for pizza at one of these three -- that's a 75 mile drive that takes a minimum of an hour and a half. They're good, but I have to admit that I prefer Pizza Hut to any of them.

The second worst pizza I ever had was in Rome (Italy, not NY or ME). The worst was in a small town on the coast of CA, somewhere about midway between LA and SF.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 12:40:37 AM »

Old brick building? Faniuel Hall Market?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 12:44:01 AM »
I thought the exact opposite. Chicago style "pizza" isn't pizza. Had they included any then the list would have been flawed.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 12:47:17 AM »
I have eaten at all three. They are all so good that people drive from NYC to New Haven for pizza at one of these three -- that's a 75 mile drive that takes a minimum of an hour and a half. They're good, but I have to admit that I prefer Pizza Hut to any of them.

The second worst pizza I ever had was in Rome (Italy, not NY or ME). The worst was in a small town on the coast of CA, somewhere about midway between LA and SF.

I completely get local hype, there's a lot of a mix of pt barnum and the emperor's new clothes involved. I took my wife to a local overhyped steak house once, $200+ later we walked out, both deciding that Texas Roadhouse has much better food, at 1/5 the price.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 01:38:39 AM »
I thought the exact opposite. Chicago style "pizza" isn't pizza.

Yup. More like a casserole.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 02:25:05 AM »

>not including HomeSlice  in austin  as #1  - 10 on the list

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »
NY style is my favorite. Hands down.  And finding a good NY style pizza is hard.  And I refuse to go to NY to find out if it's authentic.   :rofl:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »
Faniuel Hall Market?  Or the old Haymarket Farmer's Mart?

Old brick building? Faniuel Hall Market?

Yup, that's it! Faniiuel Hall.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 10:15:54 AM »
I like most the various sorts of pizza: NY, Chicago, Greek, etc, etc. when well-executed.

But that list looks like a one-note tune.  They all look the same.  Bo-ring.

Probably my favorite is a Greek-style pizza I found down in Florida, south of Tarpon Springs.  Good and sloppy.  With a Greek salad as accompaniment, you're talkin some good eats.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »
NY style is my favorite. Hands down.  And finding a good NY style pizza is hard.  And I refuse to go to NY to find out if it's authentic.   :rofl:
There is a small italian resurant around here that does a good thin crust pizza, but I have never been to NY so I have no idea if it tastes like that. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 10:54:24 AM »
#5 is the only one that looks like I might want to actually eat it.  What is the basis for judging this stuff?  I think appearance is playing too big a role.

Maybe it is just working in chemical plants with working guys and blue collar guys, but when I see pizza ordered for a group, no one eats all that fancy crap.  EVERYONE likes meats.  Get pepperoni, meat lovers, etc.  A lot people say they like all the fancy veggie topings, but they get one of those then 3 pieces of the meat pizzas.  

I worked at a Mr Gatti's in high school.  I still like their pizza best.  They have a ground breakfast sausage toping that is really good.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:58:35 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »
I ***LOVED*** Mr. Gatti's. Lived in the Austin/Round Rock area for 10 years, and have never had a pizza I liked better. There used to be one here in VA, out in Harrisonburg just off I-81, but they closed several years ago.  :'( And they weren't all that great the few times I went by there, sadly. Haven't been back to TX for a long time now, so no basis for comparison anymore.

I'd love to find a little local pizza place that does great regular-crust pizza (I detest deep-dish). Royal Pizza in MD is really pretty good, and close to my work. Down near home, I'm sure there's SOMETHING (there's tons of restaurants in and around the Capitol Beltway area), but I haven't found it yet. For mass-market pizza, I'd buy Papa John's over Domino's or Pizza Hut (though Domino's is leaps and bounds better than when I was a kid). Ledo's (another regional chain) is better than those, but they're not close to my house, and I don't like their pepperoni slices as much as the rest of the pizza. Above any of them, though, is a take-and-bake from Safeway. That's some good pizza there.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Best Pizzas in America
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 11:59:17 AM »
I thought the exact opposite. Chicago style "pizza" isn't pizza. Had they included any then the list would have been flawed.

Well, you're as wrong as those that say thin crust isn't pizza.

I enjoy all types though I think Chicago is best.

In fact one of the things I miss about Northern Virginia is a little Greek restaurant with amazing pizza.  Their most surprising pizza was the arugula pizza. I'd have never ordered it but my mother did and I tried it out of curiosity.  Wow. Who could have guessed salad tastes good on a pizza?

In any case, this list is far too limited to be taken seriously.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »
I grew up in Chicago, and unless they've all closed since I left, I've no doubt there are plenty of pizzerias there which would shame this so-called "top 10 list" and some of the disgusting (yes, I said disgusting) examples cited.

Thin crust, thick crust, stuffed - Chicago had it all.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 04:14:47 PM »
I ***LOVED*** Mr. Gatti's. Lived in the Austin/Round Rock area for 10 years, and have never had a pizza I liked better. There used to be one here in VA, out in Harrisonburg just off I-81, but they closed several years ago.  :'( And they weren't all that great the few times I went by there, sadly. Haven't been back to TX for a long time now, so no basis for comparison anymore.

I'd love to find a little local pizza place that does great regular-crust pizza (I detest deep-dish). Royal Pizza in MD is really pretty good, and close to my work. Down near home, I'm sure there's SOMETHING (there's tons of restaurants in and around the Capitol Beltway area), but I haven't found it yet. For mass-market pizza, I'd buy Papa John's over Domino's or Pizza Hut (though Domino's is leaps and bounds better than when I was a kid). Ledo's (another regional chain) is better than those, but they're not close to my house, and I don't like their pepperoni slices as much as the rest of the pizza. Above any of them, though, is a take-and-bake from Safeway. That's some good pizza there.
There are not that many Mr Gatti's left down here either, but there are a few. 

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Well, you're as wrong as those that say thin crust isn't pizza.

Am I?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 10:49:47 PM »
My favorite near where I used to live, a bit of a hike now but I always go there when in the area.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g46730-d852328-Reviews-Nicolosi_s_Pizza-Phillipsburg_New_Jersey.html
This is my second favorite. Near where I work now.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/angelos-ii-pizzeria-and-restaurant-hillsborough

Both are in NJ of course. I won't eat pizza out of this area.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 08:33:11 AM »
I've got lots of family in the Pburg/Alpha area. I might have to hit Nicolosi's next time I make it up that way.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 10:17:40 AM »
In any case, this list is far too limited to be taken seriously.

Daily meal does the same with almost all their "top ten" lists. I saw their "top ten hamburgers" list the other day, and most of them had stuff I'd never heard of added to them and seemed to be more of a novelty item made by some $200 a plate fancy restaurant.