Author Topic: The Best Pizzas in America  (Read 11834 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: The Best Pizzas in America
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »
It's in the same shopping complex as the Sam's Club and Target, not far from Blue Ridge Arsenal.  I think that time Mike and I hit it was after a gun show at the Expo Center.

Chris

On route 50 just past (west) of 28.

My wife and I have enjoyed that place. Additionally it was our last meal prior to our first child's birth.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Best Pizzas in America
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
Where is your God now?

Warming up the fires of hell.

I'm surprised to see so much love for CiCi's. I thought folks would get all snobby about it. For buffet pizza, it is A-OK.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2014, 07:07:27 PM »
I'm surprised to see so much love for CiCi's. I thought folks would get all snobby about it. For buffet pizza, it is A-OK.

Surprised me too.  It's not my favorite pizza, but it'll do and the quantities help. :)

My favorite in the "don't need to take out a loan to eat" range is Brixx.  My penultimate favorite is Mad Fox, but every time I go there, I end up with a $100 tab for 4 between beer, appetizers, pizza, and dessert.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2014, 08:02:06 PM »
Decent and cheap. What's not to love?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »
'Warming up the fires of hell.'

FRESH PIZZA BOYS!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
It has been a while since I had CiCis, but I don't recall it being that good.

Buffet pizza is all a out how well the workers maintain it.  Even the best place sucks if the people running it put out a bunch of crap pizza and the never replace it because it sits there since no one wants it.  There used to be Pizza Inn places around, but they would always load up the buffet with crap.  The one pepperoni put out would be gone in seconds and everyone would hopefully wait for a fresh pizza. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »
Turnover at CiCi's is usually pretty high, to the extent that the popular pizzas (mac & cheese) go so fast you might not get a slice if you're not waiting for it specifically. 

Chris

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2014, 11:10:01 PM »
Mac & cheese pizza? How does a loving god allow such abomination? [ar15]
Man, I'm with ya. I love pizza and I love mac & cheese but the two together just seem...unseemly.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
Turnover at CiCi's is usually pretty high, to the extent that the popular pizzas (mac & cheese) go so fast you might not get a slice if you're not waiting for it specifically. 

Chris
Yeah, that would happen.  I worked at a pizza place in high school so I am picky.  People generally liked meats and pepperoni was most popular.  When they start adding veggies to everything it really cuts down on who will eat it and the buffets gets loaded with crap few want, then they won't replace it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »
Yeah, that would happen.  I worked at a pizza place in high school so I am picky.  People generally liked meats and pepperoni was most popular.  When they start adding veggies to everything it really cuts down on who will eat it and the buffets gets loaded with crap few want, then they won't replace it. 

When I'm somewhere I've never been that has pizza by the slice out in the display case or whatever they call it (airports are a good example), I will generally only try either the pepperoni or plain cheese pizza. A combination of not knowing how long the pizza has been out and the quality of other meats or meat-like products on their other pizzas makes me wary of potential stomach problems. I've in the past tried "meat lovers" and other pizzas with sausage in those kinds of places that had a funny enough taste that I threw them away after a couple of bites. I figure besides popularity, the pepperoni is probably salted enough that it can be out for a month without going bad.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2014, 11:46:40 PM »
Man, I'm with ya. I love pizza and I love mac & cheese but the two together just seem...unseemly.

I'm lukewarm on macaroni, and on cheese, and I find the combination of pasta and cheese...unseemly.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2014, 11:58:18 PM »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2014, 12:05:49 AM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2014, 12:13:42 AM »

WTF is that??  It looks like a pepperoni birthday cake...  [intrigued]
"It's good, though..."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2014, 12:36:06 AM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2014, 12:41:21 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »

Chris

I remember you bowling through that 9-11 year old softball team and rolling that elderly grandmother in the wheel chair out of the way to get that fresh mac & cheese pizza...

Was so proud of you...

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2014, 11:03:48 AM »
I have about as much interest in pizza cake as I have in deep dish pizza, which isn't a lot.

Of course, if there was only a pizza cake to eat, I'd deal with it.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »

Chris

And they'll make you whatever you want, if it's not out there - so you can get your fresh taco or mac & cheese pizza.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2014, 04:04:04 PM »
I'd forgotten about the taco pizza... that one was QUITE good, too!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2014, 09:34:47 AM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/09/29/352507263/sandwich-monday-the-pizza-cake?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20140929

Pizza cake article, including link to the recipe on Buzzfeed.
My only issue is I really question whether that thing is fully cooked in the middle.  I prefer well done or crispy pizza.  Not sure I would like that.  

http://www.doubledaves.com/menu/handcraftedfavorites.php
This is likely the closest I would get to that of something I like.  Double Dave's Pepperoni Rolls.  Pepperoni and cheese rolled up and cooked.  Dip in marrinara sauce to eat.  Very, very good.  Very very much indigestion and calories/fat.  Double Dave's was one of our favorites after home football games back in college.  They are so-so when cold, but fresh and hot out of the oven they are delicious.