Author Topic: Why am I even considering California?  (Read 5393 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Why am I even considering California?
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »
In your situation, I'd be tempted to get a house in NV or AZ, and get a small RV to live in M-F  =|

Or jump ship to Boeing. They do the Apaches in Mesa.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 05:24:04 PM »
I can't help but let this video express what I think of someone who loves guns actually moving INTO California: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o1FPiPUaVk

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »
Tallpine, me and my girfriend were just discussing that option this morning.  She won't move until spring since her daughter is a senior in high school so I'd either get a studio apartment or drag an RV behind my truck and live in that until she joins. 

I also have job apps out in several other areas such as VT, MD, VA and WA.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 07:10:05 PM »
Tallpine, me and my girfriend were just discussing that option this morning.  She won't move until spring since her daughter is a senior in high school so I'd either get a studio apartment or drag an RV behind my truck and live in that until she joins. 

I also have job apps out in several other areas such as VT, MD, VA and WA.

If you make it up here to the PNW let me know, I'll buy you a beer.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 12:43:49 AM »
We were headed up to Olympia, Washington week after next but plans changed. If I get up that way I'll take you up on that offer.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
Puget Sound area is nice except for the traffic.

And the rain  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »
Puget Sound area is nice except for the traffic.

And the rain  =|

I love the rain.  =D

Traffic does suck though.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 12:51:28 PM »
I love the rain.  =D

Traffic does suck though.
It seemed to me like drivers were nicer than most places, though.  I could usually manage to change lanes when I needed to.

Maybe it's just so congested that people have to cooperate in order for anybody to get anywhere  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 12:07:17 AM »
We were headed up to Olympia, Washington week after next but plans changed. If I get up that way I'll take you up on that offer.

If you come up in early/mid November you can be camp bitch for elk season for Balog and me.
Formerly sumpnz

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
Dude, I'd would do that in a heartbeat!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 03:39:56 PM »
If you make it up here to the PNW let me know, I'll buy you a beer.

And I will buy the second round.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 03:21:58 PM »
Well I'll be darned.  I just received a call from a recruiter in Arlington, Washington on a PM job.  Anyone have any good intel on living in or around Arlington?  I was stationed at McChord from 92-94 but haven't been back up in the sound areas since.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »
Well I'll be darned.  I just received a call from a recruiter in Arlington, Washington on a PM job.  Anyone have any good intel on living in or around Arlington?  I was stationed at McChord from 92-94 but haven't been back up in the sound areas since.

Northern SnoHoCo is nice. I'm in the southern part of the county myself. Gorgeous scenery, not too far to be able to get to Seattle when need be but far enough out that it's a distinct community. CoL tends to be high, but the jobs usually pay well. Not sure what land prices are like, aside from better than down here. It rains a lot, but only hard maybe once or twice a year. Frequently it's a light mist, and a good portion of the time it's a strictly overnight thing.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »
Well I'll be darned.  I just received a call from a recruiter in Arlington, Washington on a PM job.  Anyone have any good intel on living in or around Arlington?  I was stationed at McChord from 92-94 but haven't been back up in the sound areas since.

Arlington is 25 miles north of me, we have one of our clinics there, and my wife and I are considering the area for our next house, when we downsize next year.  It is close enough to the urban areas of Seattle, Everett, Mt. Vernon or Bellingham to have easy access to urban amenities and far enough way to leave the urban problems largely behind.  The area skews to the right politically, which may be good thing for you, and there are more outdoor recreation activities nearby in the Cascades than you can shake a stick at.  Housing is cheaper, compared to further south.

We like the area a lot.  

PS: the one thing we are pondering is that we still have around 10 years in the workforce, and the commute to and from Arlington to points south (where most of the jobs are) can be a bit of a bear.  Or so my wife thinks.  I commuted from south Snohomish County to downtown Seattle for 25 years, and that was a commute.  Everything else pales by comparison for me.  But if your job was nearby such that you did not have to commute to Everett or Seattle, the commute is not a problem.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:41:16 PM by MillCreek »

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »
Arlington is 25 miles north of me, we have one of our clinics there, and my wife and I are considering the area for our next house, when we downsize next year.  It is close enough to the urban areas of Seattle, Everett, Mt. Vernon or Bellingham to have easy access to urban amenities and far enough way to leave the urban problems largely behind.  The area skews to the right politically, which may be good thing for you, and there are more outdoor recreation activities nearby in the Cascades than you can shake a stick at.  Housing is cheaper, compared to further south.

We like the area a lot.  

PS: the one thing we are pondering is that we still have around 10 years in the workforce, and the commute to and from Arlington to points south (where most of the jobs are) can be a bit of a bear.  Or so my wife thinks.  I commuted from south Snohomish County to downtown Seattle for 25 years, and that was a commute.  Everything else pales by comparison for me.  But if your job was nearby such that you did not have to commute to Everett or Seattle, the commute is not a problem.

I prefer the Mill Creek/Bothell to Seattle commute to the Mc/B to Bellevue drive. I only go to Redmond and it's still over an hour in the mornings.  =(

Also, I sent you a PM.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
The pay isn't exactly what I was expecting (less than what I make here) but that is negotiable at this point.  I do remember the weather from when I was stationed in Tacoma and forewarned my girlfriend... ;)

I've done some research on that area and it looks very appealing to me.  As an outdoorsman, I've always missed the Pacific Northwest and what it had to offer. 

Balog, did you PM me or witchwind?  Nothing in my inbox.....

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 08:02:50 PM »
No, he sent me a PM unrelated to this thread.

PS: I do have to ask, what company are you looking at though?  Post here or PM me and I can do some recon on the company, if you are not already familiar with them.  There are a number of aeronautical parts suppliers up in Arlington, and I am wondering if it is one of them.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 11:14:55 PM »
Absolute Mfg.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 11:26:30 PM »
I'm about as far north of Arlington as Mill Creek is south.  It's a nice area, halfway wish we'd bought there rather than up here in some ways.  If you get flown out for the interview let me know.  Bare minimum be nice to meet for coffee/beer, if time allows maybe some more.
Formerly sumpnz

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 11:48:33 PM »
The pay isn't exactly what I was expecting (less than what I make here) but that is negotiable at this point.  I do remember the weather from when I was stationed in Tacoma and forewarned my girlfriend... ;)

I've done some research on that area and it looks very appealing to me.  As an outdoorsman, I've always missed the Pacific Northwest and what it had to offer. 

Balog, did you PM me or witchwind?  Nothing in my inbox.....

My apologies, I was PMing our resident middle aged male radfem. ;)

Moving to WA from AZ was such a great thing for outdoor activity, esp hunting. I really do love it here.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2014, 11:38:58 AM »
Andrew, I'll definitely let you know if I come up that way for interviews. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2014, 12:30:40 PM »
Absolute Mfg.

I did some poking around on the net and chatted with a couple of my friends who work in aerospace.  Absolute is now part of a larger company (Senior) which gives them more solid financial backing.  They enjoy a great reputation in the area for CNC milling and rapid prototyping.  They have made efforts in recent years to expand beyond just supplying Boeing.  Although Boeing is currently going great guns up here, so that helps.  The shop is in a 35,000 square foot building on the edge of downtown Arlington.  They are now working with defense and oil exploration clients rather than just strictly aerospace.  They laid off some people in 2011, but are back to hiring again.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
Good intel.  That's pretty much what I've been seeing too.  They are a much smaller company that Northrop Grumman but with them part of Senior, that's beneficial.