Author Topic: Common Core Math: Screwing up children just like in Language  (Read 1673 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Common Core Math: Screwing up children just like in Language
« on: October 02, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/09/182313-kid-looks-like-genius-matter-fact-retort-common-core-math-problem-8-5-doesnt-add/

Look at this process, as well as this one:

http://www.redstate.com/2014/10/01/this-is-what-common-core-looks-like/

The supporters of common core will argue that all they are doing is teaching children how adults break down (more complex) math in their head. That this is how people think. (The second one is merely a more complex example of the first.)

The problem with this idiocy is it is the math version of "whole language." Approaches in this method (whole language) eschew having children sound out words based on the letter composition. Instead it teaches them to look at the word quickly and then guess what the word actually is. (As an example: http://accordingtohoyt.com/2013/03/11/malice-or-incompetence/)

The fools teaching professionals have looked at how adult brains work (e.g. breaking down complex problems into simpler ones AND reading known words by recognition, rather than sounding them out) and are deciding that children don't ever need the building blocks of rote memorization and phonics in order to get to that point.

They are screwing with what works because "new" ideas have to be better, right?

The WORST part of this malpractice, though, is not the trying out of new concepts. It is the trying out of new concepts WHOLESCALE with no previous testing periods on smaller populations before scaling it up.

These "reformers" are the worst sort of people imaginable, screwing with children's lives because they know better, and NO they won't wait to implement these ideas over a generation to ensure they won't harm the children.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
Re: Common Core Math: Screwing up children just like in Language
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:26:47 AM »
They had some examples of Common Core "math" in the local newspaper.

The people who came up with this asinine nonsense are, at best, IDIOTS.   :facepalm:

At worst, they're mentally ill - I mean, CLINICALLY mentally ill - and need treatment themselves. I mean, judging by the method used to solve what should be SIMPLE arithmetic problems, if these people were tasked with digging a ditch, they'd first use a screwdriver to loosen the dirt, then use a trowel to move the dirt to a teaspoon which they would then use to fill a shovel . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
how adults break down (more complex) math in their head

I don't do math in my head (other than the simple stuff)

Complex problems I write it out on paper and work it with a calculator, then go back and double check my work to make sure everything works right. *expletive deleted* ck ups in some of the math I do can result in the destruction of expensive stuff.

Common core math isn't math, it's made up bullshit.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:24:51 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »
The supporters of common core will argue that all they are doing is teaching children how adults break down (more complex) math in their head. That this is how people think. (The second one is merely a more complex example of the first.)

The problem is trying to force a single method; the underlying technique works if you have an intuitive understanding of it and the mental agility to decide what elements to break it down to on the fly so that you're actually dealing with easier chunks.  What the best chunks are will vary from equation to equation, and from person to person.  Multiples of ten work for some, five for others, and sometimes somebody just remembers a different set entirely.  For example, if I have to deal with adding 37 and 28 on a regular basis, 65 is going to be somewhere in the "mental muscle memory," so when I need to add 39 and 27, I will just see (37+2)+(28-1)=37+28+1=66.  Forcing the chunk size to some predetermined standard prevents an intuitive grasp of the method, and defeats its entire purpose.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »
Yup^
And common core's style is not new. I got taught it in public school 45 years ago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »

That is exactly my observation. Its exactly the kind of thing I do day to day to make quick estimations or solve problems in my head.
They are trying to teach kids to run before they can crawl. I have a really good hunch that the people who came up with this idiocy aren't the types that do math in their heads all day long on the job.

There has been barely a week that's gone by in the last few years where I don't spend an hour a two reteaching my kids to do math the 'correct' way, because the common core way is nonsensical.  They expect kids to break apart numbers, add/subtract/multiply/divide them then add the smaller part of the operation back in to get an answer, without even drilling them on the basics like addition/multiplication tables.
Long/short division are gone, and the 'whole math' equivalent is taught. I have had to teach my kids how to do things the right way and teach them the process of solving problems.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 01:45:13 PM »
Luckily my kids get taught Saxon Math at their elementary school.  One of the better approaches I have seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxon_math

They can keep that Common Core Bill Gates-ian bullshit.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »
My kids look at me funny when I do it "the old way" . We're not a common core state though they do use some of the techniques that seem to freak folks out. The 8th grader just tested at 12th grade level,though. I can't help her with math anymore thankfully mom can or I'd have to have her call my dad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 04:54:14 PM »
Luckily my kids get taught Saxon Math at their elementary school.  One of the better approaches I have seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxon_math

They can keep that Common Core Bill Gates-ian bullshit.

That's what we used for home school  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:09:29 PM »

But that is not how people think. They tried the same idiocy with Quisinaire (sp?) Rods back in the 60s. At the time my sister was being fed that crap in grammar school, I was a math/physics major in college. My mother asked me to go with her to an evening meeting at which the school tried to explain how this radical new teaching tool worked. It took me about three questions to leave the presenter babbling and tongue-tied. And you'll notice that they aren't using Quisinair (sp?) Rods to teach math these days -- not even in Common Core.

That problem is exemplary of the fact that educators DON'T think. The question is "Tell how to make 10 when adding 8+5."

8+5 is an equation. 8 is a numeral, and 5 is a numeral. Adding is an operation. If you first subtract something from either numeral, you have first executed a separate operation; and you have then converted the equation to either 8+2 or 5+5 ... which is not the original equation.

8+5=13. That's what is. Deal with it, teacher.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:16:32 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
Cuisenaire rods were tried in Israel. The result was a disaster of comical proportions. (To the point that at one point the Ministry of Education had the data on their use classified and refused to hand it over to the legislature).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »
That problem is exemplary of the fact that educators DON'T think. The question is "Tell how to make 10 when adding 8+5."

8+5 is an equation. 8 is a numeral, and 5 is a numeral. Adding is an operation. If you first subtract something from either numeral, you have first executed a separate operation; and you have then converted the equation to either 8+2 or 5+5 ... which is not the original equation.

8+5=13. That's what is. Deal with it, teacher.

Exactly. Thank you!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »
Cuisenaire rods were tried in Israel. The result was a disaster of comical proportions. (To the point that at one point the Ministry of Education had the data on their use classified and refused to hand it over to the legislature).

You fell for one of the classical blunders ...

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin