Author Topic: Washing the family Prius  (Read 10882 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Washing the family Prius
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »
Paddy McRiley
Paddy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remember him well! You both hit the mark!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

grampster

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 12:21:54 AM »
Yup. Riley.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

griz

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »
After puzzling over the license plated painted to blend in with the color of the car, my first thought was, I wonder how much water they wasted filming that "rain".
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
Wait till you see them with "Hillary 2016" and "I Love my Obamacare" stickers.

AHHHHHH!!! NOOOOOO!!!

You guys mind taking up a collection so there's money available to bail me out?  ???

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 10:23:32 PM »
After puzzling over the license plated painted to blend in with the color of the car, my first thought was, I wonder how much water they wasted filming that "rain".
The water simply goes back into the ground and is reused an infinite amount of times over again- unlike the rare earth metals in the battery that are mined by chinese child slave workers.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

erictank

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »
It's amazing what you can fit into a minivan.

And my wife's low-to-mid-level Honda Odyssey has some real get-up-and-go for a familywagon. I was honestly surprised by the response from the go pedal.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 10:43:38 AM »
It's amazing what you can fit into a minivan.

Sure, but how much weight can it effectively carry  ???    ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 12:29:34 PM »
Sure, but how much weight can it effectively carry  ???    ;/

Not everyone has the need to carry 2000+ pounds in their vehicle. ;/

My minivan has a curb weight of 4275 lbs, and GVWR of 5995 lbs, giving a cargo + driver/passenger capacity of ~1700 pounds.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:38:23 PM by Marnoot »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 02:04:41 PM »

My minivan has a curb weight of 4275 lbs, and GVWR of 5995 lbs, giving a cargo + driver/passenger capacity of ~1700 pounds.

Yeah but if you try to haul a stack of plywood just because it will fit ...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 02:42:45 PM »

Better keep your wife alive then; that won't carry some of the women at the adult singles activities.

They say the women outnumber the men 8:1, but it's closer to 20:1 by weight.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »
Yeah but if you try to haul a stack of plywood just because it will fit ...

Then you'd be an idiot, like this guy:

My minivan will fit and safely carry 20 sheets of 3/4" plywood. I wouldn't exceed that. I'm not sure what your point is. Just because a minivan doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean it's an inherently inferior vehicle to your preferred 1970s pickup trucks.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 06:20:10 PM »

My minivan will fit and safely carry 20 sheets of 3/4" plywood. I wouldn't exceed that. I'm not sure what your point is. Just because a minivan doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean it's an inherently inferior vehicle to your preferred 1970s pickup trucks.

I never farking said that - but "you" do have to keep in mind with any vehicle how much weight it can carry versus what can fit inside.  I can very well overload a 3/4 ton pickup.

20 sheets 3/4" ply sounds like a lot of weight to me  =|

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »
I almost bought me a new bicycle, but since I can't carry plywood on it, I changed my mind.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »
I almost bought me a new bicycle, but since I can't carry plywood on it, I changed my mind.

http://www.bikesatwork.com/store/product/plywood-rack

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »
JD

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »
"you" do have to keep in mind with any vehicle how much weight it can carry versus what can fit inside.  I can very well overload a 3/4 ton pickup.

No argument there. Sometimes it's hard to know exactly what you've got in the bed, weight wise. When we had our 1/2-ton truck I probably overdid it a tad a couple times when hauling dirt. Think my estimates were close enough I wasn't over much, though.

20 sheets 3/4" ply sounds like a lot of weight to me  =|

20 sheets x ~75 lbs = 1500 lbs, I weigh 145, puts me at 1645 lbs, about 100 lbs under GVWR. So strictly by the vehicle's ratings, it should be fine. That said, if I had a project big enough for 20 sheets of plywood I'd probably need a lot of other crap too and I'd just rent the Home Despot truck for $20.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:53:37 PM by Marnoot »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »

I did go check out a Surly LHT after work.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 09:53:20 PM »
I did go check out a Surly LHT after work.

Couldn't you find an LHT in a good mood? 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 11:22:43 PM »
Couldn't you find an LHT in a good mood? 

Ha ha ha.

Its a touring bicycle designed for carrying heavy loads. Maybe several sheets of plywood or a few railroad ties with the right rack and pannier set up.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2014, 11:40:21 PM »

Years ago, I saw a similar situation in the Menards parking lot - guy had a Pontiac Astre station wagon (essentially a rebadged Chevy Vega) with the back packed solidly with lumber; the rear suspension was collapsed.

So yes, there ARE people that stupid, and pictures like that are NOT necessarily staged for laughs.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2014, 11:42:56 PM »
So yes, there ARE people that stupid, and pictures like that are NOT necessarily staged for laughs.

That one's not staged either: http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/lumber.asp Few more pics there.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 01:40:12 AM »
Sometimes it's hard to know exactly what you've got in the bed, weight wise.

How drunk were you?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2014, 07:56:24 AM »
How drunk were you?

Internet: 0, Fistful: 1
JD

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
No argument there. Sometimes it's hard to know exactly what you've got in the bed, weight wise. When we had our 1/2-ton truck I probably overdid it a tad a couple times when hauling dirt. Think my estimates were close enough I wasn't over much, though.

20 sheets x ~75 lbs = 1500 lbs, I weigh 145, puts me at 1645 lbs, about 100 lbs under GVWR. So strictly by the vehicle's ratings, it should be fine. That said, if I had a project big enough for 20 sheets of plywood I'd probably need a lot of other crap too and I'd just rent the Home Despot truck for $20.
Does your van's curb weight include fuel ?   =|

1500++ pounds is actually plenty for a half ton pickup.

I tend to be a little more careful these days due to my vast experience with overloading vehicles  ;)
(ever blown a brand new tire in the middle of the Yukon Territory...?)

We have to be damn careful with weight in our little FWD car.  50# feed sacks add up fast.

I just never got into the mini-van thing, but I'm sure they are perfect for lots of folks.  Neither do I like full size vans very much. 

And coincidentally, yesterday I cleaned out almost 20 years of stuff from the cab of my 1976 GMC, and we drove it last night just to warm it up after a couple years of just sitting most of the time.  It has the most comfortable seat of anything we own.