Author Topic: The class you did the worst in?  (Read 2083 times)

Phyphor

• friend
The class you did the worst in?
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006, 06:55:30 PM »
Quote from: J.J.
Spanish

I have retaken each spanish that I am required to take atleast once if not more.
No *expletive deleted*it, I had 1 quarter of that crap during my high school years...and I remember maybe 1% of it all.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006, 09:47:12 PM »
"The Art of Photography"

D. R. ZINN

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2006, 04:48:53 AM »
High School:  One semester of English.  The teacher made us read things like 'A thousand acres', which is the only book I've ever tried to read that made me physically ill.

It was amazing.  One paragraph and I was gagging, trying to vomit.

I ended up teaching the Korean kids in summer school.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2006, 05:00:39 AM »
In college, the only two classes I ever really struggled with were Pascal and Quantitative Methods.  The former was an entry level programming class and one that proved to me how I should not pursue programming as a career.  I passed only because the professor took pity on me.  I was frequently in his office getting help after class.  The latter was a class for my major (Bus. Admin).  I don't know why that class was so hard for me, I found the subject matter interesting.  I had to take it again as a graduate level class when working on my MBA.  I struggled with it then as well, but I did better that time around (had the same professor for both classes, I wonder if that had anything to do with my struggles...).

French kicked my arse in HS, but I learned some valuable lessons on study methods thanks to the teacher.  She was a big fan of "studying with a pencil", a lesson that has helped greatly ever since.

Chris

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 04:41:54 PM »
Quote from: MillCreek
Quote from: DrAmazon
I am currently a Chemistry Professor, teaching Organic Chemistry!!!
So is Morrison and Boyd still the standard text?

(Owner of a MSc in analytical chemistry from way, way back in the early 80's.  So long ago that  I used an Apple IIc to drive the gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer for my thesis work.)
Nope.  The last edition that the publisher released was the 6th edition in 1992.  I never used it as a student, but I do use it as a reference from time to time.  Students today probably wouldn't interact with it well.  The sections on spectroscopy have also gotten quite dated.  There's now easily 15-20 titles out there, all with electronic ancillaries and the like - there's no real "standard text".
Experiment with a chemist!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2006, 12:23:20 PM »
My second Calculus class in college kicked my ass.  I made good grades on all the homework and regular tests, but the final looked like some completely different form of math.  I did not know it was worth 50% of our grade for the class.

Family law.  I totally knew the material, but I didn't see the last page of the exam until it was time to put down our pens and hand in our blue books.

Classes I should have done the worst in:  Nonmonotonic Reasoning - I read all the stuff, went to class, participated in the discussions, but I never was quite sure what we were talking about.  Fortunately, no one else seemed to be either, so my grade wasn't too bad.  Constitutional Law - As if the course does not already lend itself to being one of law school's most boring, having a professor that thinks he has figured it all out in a way that deviates from the casebook and most other material on the subject is a recipe for disaster.  Again I was saved by group confoundment.
For entertainment purposes only.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2006, 05:18:04 PM »
Algebra. I liked Geometry and Physics but Algebra (and Chemistry) I couldn't make sense of. Guess that's why I have a History degree.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2006, 07:44:52 PM »
Spanish. Strangely enough I'm learning Arabic now at an accelerated rate. *shrug*