Author Topic: San Diego to Colorado Springs  (Read 795 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
San Diego to Colorado Springs
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:45:19 PM »
I'll be driving from San Diego, to Colorado Springs sometime in the first couple weeks of January.  I know I can open carry legally in AZ, but what about New Mexico and Colorado?  Any places I should see along the way?

BaxterGriffin

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 07:00:55 PM »
Have you ever been to Colo. Springs before?  If so, my suggestions below might be stuff you've already seen.  

I don't live there but have family there...WONDERFUL place, definitely a place I'd consider moving to sometime.  I can't really help with the "carry" questions there, and actually as I ponder it, one or two of the more scenic spots I would recommend just might be closed for the winter in January...some of the CS locals on the board can help out, I'm sure.

Pikes Peak (pretty sure getting to the summit by road or incline railway's gonna be "out" for January)
Air Force Academy (not sure how much is open to public these days beyond the Visitors Center and maybe the Cadet Chapel, but they are worth seeing)
Garden of the Gods (gorgeous and free admission to boot)
Bishop Castle (not in CS, but south/southwest in the town of Rye...interesting place to see if weather permits)
Focus On The Family headquarters (if your religious beliefs so incline you!)
The Pioneer Museum at the old El Paso County Courthouse in downtown CS (the last time we visited, they had an impressive display of 1870s-era Winchester lever-actions among many, many other things)
The Flying W Ranch (reservations required, they put on a nice Western-themed meal and show)
"Old Colorado City" - locals help me out on this one...older part of town, has a turn-of-the-century feel to it...includes a lot of shopping including a gallery that includes realistic sculptures of cowboys, lawmen, firefighters, and the like...as well as an amazing walk-in diorama of a city scene in exacting detail...it's driving me crazy that I can't put a name to this for sure...maybe "Garman" but I can't recall exactly...it's late here and it's been a long day hahaha...

And a couple of my favorite food spots in town:
Conway's Red Top (burgers and fries, various locations)
Fargo's Pizza

In any case, have a safe trip and enjoy yourself!
"Go ahead...make my chili."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 07:02:31 PM »
Nope, I've never been there.  Never been to Colorado or New Mexico at all.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 02:27:01 AM »
Open carry is okay in NM; so is having a weapon concealed in your vehicle (glovebox, center console, etc).
I wouldn't advise trying open carry in Santa Fe, though.
What route are you planning?

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 04:16:38 AM »
Taylorce1 at TFL and Justin at THR live in Colorado Springs.  There's a really neat brew pub in downtown CS.

The problem with January travel across the Rockies is snow.  Flagstaff is sorta the snow capital of Arizona, for all that it's on a fairly quick route for you to get to Albuquerque and then head north up I-25.  I was gonna recommend east on I-8 to Gila and then up through Phoenix through Flag on I-17.  Check the weather, 'cause you might learn the joys of I-10 to Las Cruces. Cheesy  

Depending on your interests, the Whittington Center just west of Raton is worth a quick look, and Bo Clerke's barrel-making operation in Raton is neat.  

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 06:42:25 AM »

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 06:59:51 AM »
Quote from: BaxterGriffin
Have you ever been to Colo. Springs before?  If so, my suggestions below might be stuff you've already seen.  

I don't live there but have family there...WONDERFUL place, definitely a place I'd consider moving to sometime.  I can't really help with the "carry" questions there, and actually as I ponder it, one or two of the more scenic spots I would recommend just might be closed for the winter in January...some of the CS locals on the board can help out, I'm sure.

Pikes Peak (pretty sure getting to the summit by road or incline railway's gonna be "out" for January)
Air Force Academy (not sure how much is open to public these days beyond the Visitors Center and maybe the Cadet Chapel, but they are worth seeing)
Garden of the Gods (gorgeous and free admission to boot)
Bishop Castle (not in CS, but south/southwest in the town of Rye...interesting place to see if weather permits)
Focus On The Family headquarters (if your religious beliefs so incline you!)
The Pioneer Museum at the old El Paso County Courthouse in downtown CS (the last time we visited, they had an impressive display of 1870s-era Winchester lever-actions among many, many other things)
The Flying W Ranch (reservations required, they put on a nice Western-themed meal and show)
"Old Colorado City" - locals help me out on this one...older part of town, has a turn-of-the-century feel to it...includes a lot of shopping including a gallery that includes realistic sculptures of cowboys, lawmen, firefighters, and the like...as well as an amazing walk-in diorama of a city scene in exacting detail...it's driving me crazy that I can't put a name to this for sure...maybe "Garman" but I can't recall exactly...it's late here and it's been a long day hahaha...

And a couple of my favorite food spots in town:
Conway's Red Top (burgers and fries, various locations)
Fargo's Pizza

In any case, have a safe trip and enjoy yourself!
I spent a weekend touring the areas around Colorado Springs when I was at Lowry Air base in Denver. Absolutely spectacular! I do recommend you give Pike's Peak a miss unless you just want to say you've been there. It takes a long time to get up, and the view isn't any better than the other tall peaks in the area that don't have as much traffic.

The 'Garden of the gods' is unbelievable. Also the 'Cave of the winds'. Be sure to see the laser light show while you're there.

If I ever get rich (joke) I'll buy a summer home around Colorado Springs.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 05:32:37 PM »
I live near Colorado Springs.

Open carry is legal in all of Colorado except Denver, which wants to be the San Francisco of the Rocky Mountains. It's conceivable you'll be hassled for open carry. That said", I never have been, and in fact, most people never notice.

You might want to visit Specialty Sports at Murray and Fountain: lots and lots and lots of guns for sale.

You'll see lots of signs advertising X many miles to Tucumcari. Don't bother.

Bring warm clothing. Bring more warm clothing, especially if you don't intend to be stopped by weather in the mountains.

Colorado is a very heavily patrolled state. If you like to speed, take Highway 50 across Nevada, but keep your speed within about five miles of the posted limit in Colorado.

Try not to act astonished when people count back your change and thank you for your business in English.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.