Author Topic: Am I venturing too far into weirdness land?  (Read 6100 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Am I venturing too far into weirdness land?
« on: October 07, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »
The thread on wrinkled shirts got me to thinking again about a notion I've toyed with several times over the years.  Namely, adopting the wardrobe strategy of Steve Jobs/Alfred Hitchcock/Seth Brundle.  Having multiple copies of the same outfit.  I sorta did such in the 1990s when the daily work attire was black jeans, black concert shirts (Metallica or NIN) & black motorcycle boots  (I do ride so it was not an affectation); or NATO woodland camo BDU pants, firearms themed shirts & hiking shoes (had to keep the Boulder hippes on edge).

I work in cubical land now, but have no face to face contact with clients or the public at large and reverting back to that type of dress is looking attractive.  If only for the simplicity of deciding what to wear.  I'm finding myself drawn to gray cargo pants (all the better to stash some USB drives, cat 5 cables, the wireless leash I have to carry), lighter gray button down shirts and Merrel hiking shoes. Functional, not offensive in any way and unremarkable in a crowd.

Sound reasonable?  Or does this strike you TOO odd?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Am I venturing too far into weirdness land?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »
The thread on wrinkled shirts got me to thinking again about a notion I've toyed with several times over the years.  Namely, adopting the wardrobe strategy of Steve Jobs/Alfred Hitchcock/Seth Brundle.  Having multiple copies of the same outfit.  I sorta did such in the 1990s when the daily work attire was black jeans, black concert shirts (Metallica or NIN) & black motorcycle boots  (I do ride so it was not an affectation); or NATO woodland camo BDU pants, firearms themed shirts & hiking shoes (had to keep the Boulder hippes on edge).

I work in cubical land now, but have no face to face contact with clients or the public at large and reverting back to that type of dress is looking attractive.  If only for the simplicity of deciding what to wear.  I'm finding myself drawn to gray cargo pants (all the better to stash some USB drives, cat 5 cables, the wireless leash I have to carry), lighter gray button down shirts and Merrel hiking shoes. Functional, not offensive in any way and unremarkable in a crowd.

Sound reasonable?  Or does this strike you TOO odd?

I would do it. Just don't get too color matchy with the top/bottom.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:07:29 PM »
I work in cubicle land and I wear cargo pants nearly every day.  And Merrel low-top hiking shoes.  Now that I think about it I wear button-down shirts pretty often also. 

I'm pretty odd myself, so I doubt I'm qualified to answer your question.  I don't get any funny looks or anything.  Actually, I might get funny looks.  I wouldn't notice either way.  I dress for my comfort, not theirs.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:29:34 PM »
You're asking folks here if weirdness has gone too far...?  :rofl:

Brad

p.s. Polka dot parachute kilt. With garters. And combat boots.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:35:02 PM »
I normally stay away from the person that wears same color pants and shirt, unless it a uniform. My past experiences is that person is usually creepy or has to go on and on about something most people can explain in 60 seconds or less.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »
That is a fringe benefit of dressing like that. Folks leave you alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
. . . adopting the wardrobe strategy of Steve Jobs/Alfred Hitchcock/Seth Brundle.  Having multiple copies of the same outfit.  . . .
You forgot Andy Griffith's TV-lawyer character, Matlock, who had a closet full of identical suits.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »
I normally stay away from the person that wears same color pants and shirt, unless it a uniform. My past experiences is that person is usually creepy or has to go on and on about something most people can explain in 60 seconds or less.

Don't listen to him!  Hes jealous.

A cube rat with no FTF public contact?  Just try not to compete with the other cube rats for fashionista queen.

But if the "uniform" appearance actually is problematic, why not a carpenter's belt or better yet a carpenter's apron?  Or maybe a lab coat?  Old skool tactical before it was kewl. =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »
That is a fringe benefit of dressing like that. Folks leave you alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not at my job, I have to visit with everyone at least sometime every two weeks. I have my right before lunch people, because they are in a hurry to leave for lunch the creepiness reduced.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »
Blue suits, red ties, white shirts.  Welcome to IBM.

=D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
Don't listen to him!  Hes jealous.

Not at all, I can wear pretty much whatever I want to work. I wear shorts and t-shirts 5 months out of the year and jeans with button up shirts the other 7 months.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »
You must be pretty weird because I have devolved into basically wearing blue jeans and blue denim shirts  :P

They never really match though because each article is a different degree of faded and/or ragged  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 06:25:18 PM »
You must be pretty weird because I have devolved into basically wearing blue jeans and blue denim shirts  :P

They never really match though because each article is a different degree of faded and/or ragged  :lol:

The Canadian Tuxedo.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 06:33:30 PM »
i think i have a uniform at work.

It appears to be shorts, flip flops, and a black t-shirt.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 07:34:43 PM »
I really don't like the idea of wearing identical clothing every day. But I really, really, really like shirts that are green, and pants that are khaki/carhartt/light brown. So I end up wearing the same color pallet every day, anyway. Not as bad as Schwarzenegger in The Last Action Hero, though.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »
The Canadian Tuxedo.

I thought that was Carrharts  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 09:48:56 PM »
My suggestion would be to vary the colors a bit, but have the same basic article of clothing.  Most the time I wear khaki pants and a polo shirt.  When I bought the pants, I bought one of every color and doubled up on black and tan khaki.  For polo shirts I buy the same danged shirt in various colors.  I don't mix neutrals (tan khaki & grey, for instance) and I try to get the light/dark thing going: one article lighter, one darker.

I always wear some sort of black leather polished boots and a black belt, leather or riggers.  Warmer boots in the winter, cooler boots in the summer.

Keeps you from looking like you wear the same thing every day while reducing the work wardrobe diversity to two main articles.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »
You're asking folks here if weirdness has gone too far...?  :rofl:

Brad

p.s. Polka dot parachute kilt. With garters. And combat boots.

Saw a guy at the bank leaving while wearing a white cream colored kippa and matching kilt.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »
Summer time I work in wrangler rip stop cargo pants and either a light weight button down short sleeve shirt or Carhart Henley and Merrill hiking shoes. Winter I go to jeans instead of the cargo pants and wear a long sleeve shirt over a t-shirt.
Boat time is Keen water shoes, cargo shorts and a t-shirt.
Oh, and a shirt with out at least one pocket doesn't exist in my wardrobe.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
Saw a guy at the bank leaving while wearing a white cream colored kippa and matching kilt.

I spotted a dude dressed all in black with a Frodo cape with knee high black boots with lots of buckles on them. I'm pretty sure he is still a virgin and not by choice.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:29:01 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »
You can't possibly be worse than me, with the general attire as a Slayer t-shirt with jeans.  I'm getting some weird looks at my daughter's kindergarten. ;)

My wife gets a bit miffed when we're walking around town and she has dressed up a bit.  I'll get more compliments than her, it's hilarious.  Of course, half the people complimenting me are in a questionable living situation, so I'm not sure I'm so proud.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:26:02 PM by Physics »
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »
0xford cloth or pinpoint button-down collar dress shirt, tie or bow tie, dress slacks, blazer or suit, and dress shoes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 10:32:08 PM »
I've standardized on wrangler ripstop cargo pants from walmart and the stretchy t-shirts (black, white, or blue mostly), underwear, and socks from costco. Very cheap and comfortable, and looks halfway decent.
Its pretty much different combinations of the same clothes every day of the work week for me- one less thing in my lufe I have to worry about.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama