Author Topic: TPM, homebuilds, and Win11  (Read 3254 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: TPM, homebuilds, and Win11
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2023, 02:53:45 PM »
How are you getting those options.  I've got rufus open in front of me, with a freshly download win11.  Not seeing them.

never mind, found a write up on it

Yeah, I probably should have pointed out they don't come up until you hit start. I think they do it that way because until you've finalized which ISO you're using it doesn't know to give you those options or not.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2023, 09:33:36 PM »
Force fed 11 onto my laptop. It's a i5-6200u so MS says too old.
Had to manually install some drivers that are related to the CPU, integrated GPU, and chipset but all done.
Laptop is actually running noticeably smoother now.
11 is probably the first OS upgrade that I can remember where the computer may actually run smoother afterwards
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2023, 09:05:34 AM »
Well poop, according to this MS is no longer allowing the use of W7 and W8 keys to upgrade to 10 or 11

No More FREE Windows Upgrades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70qcVq_INx8
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2023, 06:29:37 PM »
Well poop, according to this MS is no longer allowing the use of W7 and W8 keys to upgrade to 10 or 11

No More FREE Windows Upgrades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70qcVq_INx8

Ah, good to know.  Istill sometimes see Windows 7 and 8 PCs, and always urge them to upgrade.  "It's still a free upgrade from Microsoft." .  Now, "solly Charlie.".  Oh, well.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2023, 07:58:12 PM »
Now if you've already used a W7 or W8 key to upgrade to 10 or 11 you're golden, they're cutting off new upgrades. They were suppose to do this a couple of years ago they just kept dragging their feet on actually flipping the switch.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2023, 07:16:50 PM »
Confirmation from PC Mag

The option to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 11 for free using a Windows 7 or Windows 8 key is no longer available.

The free upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 11 was more of a loophole. When Windows 10 launched, Microsoft allowed Windows 7/8 users to upgrade for free. That option was meant to end in 2016, but continued to work indefinitely without explanation. When Windows 11 launched, the same free upgrade path remained available.

However, as Neowin reports, Microsoft posted a message on its Device Partner Center website earlier this month stating, "The installation path to obtain the Windows 7 / 8 free upgrade is now removed as well."

10 to 11 is still open though

But could this be a loophole

If you're running Windows 10, then the upgrade to Windows 11 remains free as long as your hardware meets the minimum system requirements. And it seems a Windows 7/8 key still works as long as the Windows 11 version being upgraded to is 22H2 or older. Attempting to use one of those keys with the newer 24H2 build or subsequent builds in future won't work.

So maybe use your 7 key to install 11 22H2 or older then let it update to 23H2?
I keep older ISOs on file

Microsoft Kills Free Windows 7 to Windows 11 Upgrade Option
https://www.pcmag.com/news/microsoft-kills-free-windows-7-to-windows-11-upgrade-option
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2023, 11:10:29 AM »
By reports they've closed all the 7/8 --> 10/11 "loopholes"
Can't test this myself since all my 7 keys have been used up upgrading several PCs to 11 and they're running just fine.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 07:56:06 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2023, 11:31:33 AM »
Got bored and ran simple tests on three of the older PCs in the house I've upgraded from 7/10 to 11.
When I say simple I mean simple. Ran a HD YT video in Firefox w/adguard installed to see how much CPU each would use. Figured internet browsing and office type work would be common use on older PCs.

1) Dell OP 780 SFF, Intel Q6600 4/4 (core/threads) 2.4GHz, 8gb DDR2, Original OS 7 Pro, Manufacturer date 2009
2 Acer X3300, AMD Phemon X4 925 4/4 2.8GHz (originally had a Athlon II X4 620) 8gb DDR2, Original OS 7 Home Manufacturer date 2009 (2010 CPU)
3) Acer R5-571T laptop, i5-6200u 2/4 2.3GHz 8gb, Original OS 10 Home, Manufacturer date 2016

Note: All have SSDs installed.

Cinebench R23 test results Avg
1) 1231
2) 1516
3) 1660

First I loaded W10 and then Linux Cim Mint 21.2 and all three showed ~40-55% utilization of the CPU with both OSs

Now here's the kicker, installed W11 and CPU utilization dropped to 20-30% for the same video
MS has been claiming 11 is better at resource management and it appears from this they're right.
Sorry I didn't record mem use, it completely slipped my mind to do so.

Note: To install W11 I used Rufus to bypass the HW checks on all three

BTW: For comparison the same video on my more recent built, AMD Rysen 5 5600g which has a R23 score of ~13,000, it used 1-3%
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 07:55:39 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2023, 01:45:28 PM »
Need to get the i7-7700K going again to test but that CPU is a bucking bronco trying to settle down with wild temp spikes. 7700Ks are notorious for it. The 5600G replaced it and is far faster and far easier to settle down heat wise.

If I get bored again I may do a far more detail series of tests.

Edit: But just remembered I transferred the windows key that was used on the 7700K's setup to the 5600G's setup. If I'm going to use it in anyway beyond just testing I would have to purchase a new key and with MS cutting off 7 to 11 upgrades that means $$.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2023, 07:49:27 AM »
Well, i can confirm that the old Technet Windows 7 keys i had are all dead. I tried to use one for my new build and it was a no go. Oh well, i got about 15 years and a lot of installs out of that subscription. If you need keys now, try https://www.kinguin.net/   They’re a marketplace where other stores sell keys for various software. Just pick the one with the most ratings for what you’re looking for. Keys are likely gray market OEM Builders keys from countries that don’t allow regional locks. Basically, big companies buy blocks of keys from Microsoft, and then sell off the ones they don’t use to recoup some of their money. Keys will be locked to the original motherboard you install on.   11 Pro averages about $25. I’ve used and activated 3 so far with no issues as of yet.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2023, 09:11:16 AM »
poking around that site gives me the same warm fuzzy feeling as shopping on one of the gun sale scam sites.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2023, 09:23:45 AM »
Just went on Amazon and usually you will find a bunch of people selling cheap Windows keys on there but this time found none.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2023, 04:20:57 PM »
If you're annoyed by W11's menu here's your answer
Only $6 for 1 PC, $13 for 5. Does have a 30 day trial.
Even has a better W10 menu for 11 than W10 has.

Start11
https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/

I had a Stardock menu installed on my Windows 3.11.  Wow memories

Video review
https://youtu.be/OTUa2_QNrpg

- Calvin and Hobbes

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2023, 06:05:47 PM »
poking around that site gives me the same warm fuzzy feeling as shopping on one of the gun sale scam sites.

LOL, pretty much; but they have been around quite a while. Many of their vendors have multiple millions of reviews. I believe all of them take PayPal, and the one i bought from took Apple Pay. They’ve also been mentioned by PC Magazine as one of the good places to buy cheap keys.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2023, 11:52:34 AM »
I see W11 23H2 has dropped.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2023, 11:53:50 AM »
Update on the "unsupported hardware" business

On my PCs that have "supported" HW they've updated to 23H2
On the "unsupported hardware" PCs no 23H2 but they are downloading security updates.

So, based on that no more feature updates starting with 23H2 for the "unsupported hardware" PCs?
If that changes I'll update.

Edit: Confirmed that is what they are doing after a search on the internet.
People posting they have found a work around.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 12:07:10 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2023, 12:10:20 PM »
As long as the "unsupported HW" PCs are  still getting Security updates I'm not going to worry about it that much, If not then those PCs will get Linux.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #42 on: Today at 09:29:11 AM »
For an easy way to install it on a machine that doesn't met the stated HW requirements download a W11 ISO file from MS then a program called Rufus. Rufus will allow bypassing the HW checks as well as bypassing the hated create a MS account requirement. You can actually do those things manually without Rufus but Rufus makes it a easy no brainer process.
You will need a USB drive.

https://rufus.ie/en/

Can be found in the your Windows's Microsoft store now.
In other words MS is providing you the tools to bypass their crap.
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #43 on: Today at 11:41:20 AM »
Can be found in the your Windows's Microsoft store now.
In other words MS is providing you the tools to bypass their crap.

saw that Rufus was in the store the other day.  I do not know if the MS Store version lets you do that.  Will try soon.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: Today at 11:59:36 AM »
Yeah I was like "did MS defang it?" but the settings to bypass CPU & TPM checks and the stupid MS account requirement are all there

Doing a install on my old 2009 Dell with the latest W11 iso at this very moment
Will get back with how it went
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #45 on: Today at 12:16:48 PM »
Installed and activated

MS: We don't want you doing that
Also MS: Here's the tool to do it with
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #46 on: Today at 01:10:33 PM »
Installed and activated

MS: We don't want you doing that
Also MS: Here's the tool to do it with

I wouldn't have expected it from MS, but that actually seems fair.