Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 391366 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #2300 on: March 06, 2022, 06:20:21 AM »
Cost us $188 in fuel yesterday to drive from Dayton Ohio to Orlando in my daughters Chevy Equinox that gets ~32 mpg….

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2301 on: March 06, 2022, 07:23:33 AM »
Doubling fuel prices hits the poor hardest... If you go from spending $40/week on fuel to $80/week on fuel, but  you're not making more, and  you were already living paycheck to paycheck...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2302 on: March 06, 2022, 07:39:48 AM »
Well the poor can just buy electric cars and their fuel expense problems will be over! See, we don't need fossil fuels! -- Every hard left Democrat ever.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2303 on: March 06, 2022, 07:54:52 AM »
I just heard on the newz that we are expected to pass the all time national high by tomorrow. That is $4.11, which we hit ~11 years ago. I forget - who was in charge the last time we broke this record?  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2304 on: March 06, 2022, 08:01:33 AM »
Politics does not trump physics... I asked one of the progressive folks a week or so ago about what they thought would happen if everyone got home from work at about 5-6 o'clock, and plugged their cars in to charge... Got a blank look...

This neighborhood, most of the houses have garages, so I figure that a lot of people think that the can install their own charging stations... But... The on-street parking is also usually mostly full.

Now, I've planned routes with fuel stops (sticking with one truck-stop chain has its benefits)... But some of these folks are going to end up sitting by the side of the road somewhere, miles and miles and miles from the nearest charger...

Solar is basically a way to visually virtue signal - And I don't see a lot of that here, which sort of surprises me.

"But electricity just comes out of the wall!"
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2305 on: March 06, 2022, 09:58:09 AM »
Brandon has emptied another 30 million barrels from the Strategic Reserve. A little over a day's worth of oil in normal times when everyone is driving, from a reserve that is supposed to be used for critical transport in critical times. And we are fast approaching possible critical time.

And the MSM is making him a hero for doing it.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/03/06/derp-biden-admin-really-thinks-well-believe-theyre-combatting-rising-fuel-prices-by-releasing-30m-barrels-of-crude-oil-from-our-reserve/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2306 on: March 06, 2022, 10:01:06 AM »
Politics does not trump physics... I asked one of the progressive folks a week or so ago about what they thought would happen if everyone got home from work at about 5-6 o'clock, and plugged their cars in to charge... Got a blank look...

This neighborhood, most of the houses have garages, so I figure that a lot of people think that the can install their own charging stations... But... The on-street parking is also usually mostly full.

Now, I've planned routes with fuel stops (sticking with one truck-stop chain has its benefits)... But some of these folks are going to end up sitting by the side of the road somewhere, miles and miles and miles from the nearest charger...

Solar is basically a way to visually virtue signal - And I don't see a lot of that here, which sort of surprises me.

"But electricity just comes out of the wall!"

I like to ask what about apartment and condo complexes? You going to put a charging station in every parking spot? Yeah, that's going to be an installation and maintenance nightmare.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2307 on: March 06, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »
Somehow my newsfeed is always popping up articles about public charging stations, including reddit and other "forum" conversations. While the few public charging stations I see in my region are empty more often than not, apparently in urban areas the lack of them is already an issue.

I guess there are ecar drivers who will pull up to a charging station, plug in, then take off for hours to eat lunch or shop or whatever. There are ongoing debates on if it's acceptable to unplug someone else's car to charge yours if the other car's owner has disappeared. I don't know if there is some way to look at the charging station to see if the other guy's car is fully charged or not.

Seems like if you want to prevent people from taking off after they plugged their car in, you'd need fast chargers that are 5min or under, and that may not even be possible. If charging takes 15min or more, there are simply always going to be people who take off and do other stuff for an hour because they don't want to stand there for 15 minutes or more. Maybe an app that alerts you when your car is charged, but then you have to count on the person being polite enough to immediately return.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #2308 on: March 06, 2022, 04:21:54 PM »
I like to ask what about apartment and condo complexes? You going to put a charging station in every parking spot? Yeah, that's going to be an installation and maintenance nightmare.

This is a big issue. We rent, and can’t even get get the development to fix a section of sidewalk they tore up 2 years ago to fix a leaking water line. This is despite them raising everyone’s rent by $105/ month last year, and likely at least that much again this year. There’s no way they’ll spend the money to put in chargers for 300 apartments. Super here is up 30 cents in two days to $4.65.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2309 on: March 06, 2022, 05:01:57 PM »
Went by a station on my way home from Lowe's this afternoon with a posted price for unleaded regular of $4.379. On Friday on the way home from work I saw two stations at $4.099 and I thought that was bad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2310 on: March 06, 2022, 05:19:43 PM »
$3.79 for regular unleaded, $4.39 for diesel.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2311 on: March 06, 2022, 06:14:25 PM »
$3.79 around these parts.  Up another 20 cents from the last time I posted on 2/24.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2312 on: March 07, 2022, 09:33:51 AM »
Yesterday E88 was at $3.54 in the morning when we topped off, and at 3.79 later in the afternoon.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2313 on: March 07, 2022, 09:56:36 AM »
$ 4.19/gallon this morning at the Marysville Costco, 40 miles north of Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2314 on: March 07, 2022, 12:55:46 PM »
$4.20 in town today.

I'm usually very lackadaisical about the "don't let it get under 1/2 tank" rule when I'm just driving locally, but I'm going to start keeping the tanks full, not just because of the rapidly increasing prices, but because we could very well be heading back to the gas lines and "only on certain days" that I remember from my youth.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2315 on: March 07, 2022, 12:58:33 PM »
I've got rewards points at my local grocery store that give me $1.10 off a gallon of gasoline (up to 20 gallons).

I think the max that I can use in one transaction is $1.50 a gallon off, but the way prices are rising it might just even out to what it was a week ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2316 on: March 07, 2022, 03:05:25 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2317 on: March 07, 2022, 03:26:54 PM »
Most stations in this area of IL-ANNOY have now gone to $4.199!!  [barf]

That didn't last very long.  Three stations I passed today have gone up to $4.599 !!  :mad:  >:D  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2318 on: March 07, 2022, 03:32:17 PM »
Me thinks they're more worried than we are

Rejection of Russian oil would be 'catastrophic' - Russia

Western leaders, like British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, are pushing for less dependency on Russia's oil supplies across Europe.

In response, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak says that replacing Russian oil deliveries to Europe would take more than a year.

Novak says a ban on Russian oil would lead to "catastrophic consequences" for the global market and could push prices to over $300 per barrel.

For comparison, that's more than double current prices. After peaking at $139.13 a barrel early on Monday, the price of Brent crude - an international benchmark - fell back to around $125.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60635927
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2319 on: March 07, 2022, 05:05:41 PM »
The should be worried. Oil and gas are pretty much the only true "crops" the Russians have. With them being increasingly isolated from the world's financial mechanisms embargoing their oil and possibly gas would be absolutely catastrophic to their economy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2320 on: March 07, 2022, 05:10:15 PM »

Even better, Brandon's Department of Energy said once again today that increasing US oil and gas production is not, and will not be, considered.

Damn it, I saw the headline earlier today and now I can't find it again.

I wonder how soon Brandon will come up with an fuel assistance program for the poor to help them pay their gasoline bills?

Oh, wait, he'll just give them electric cars. That will solve the problem.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2321 on: March 07, 2022, 05:15:16 PM »
3.99 this am, 4.09 on the way home.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2322 on: March 07, 2022, 05:31:57 PM »
Somehow my newsfeed is always popping up articles about public charging stations, including reddit and other "forum" conversations. While the few public charging stations I see in my region are empty more often than not, apparently in urban areas the lack of them is already an issue.

I guess there are ecar drivers who will pull up to a charging station, plug in, then take off for hours to eat lunch or shop or whatever. There are ongoing debates on if it's acceptable to unplug someone else's car to charge yours if the other car's owner has disappeared. I don't know if there is some way to look at the charging station to see if the other guy's car is fully charged or not.

Seems like if you want to prevent people from taking off after they plugged their car in, you'd need fast chargers that are 5min or under, and that may not even be possible. If charging takes 15min or more, there are simply always going to be people who take off and do other stuff for an hour because they don't want to stand there for 15 minutes or more. Maybe an app that alerts you when your car is charged, but then you have to count on the person being polite enough to immediately return.

A sensible way to solve the problem would be related to the auto-fill feature on gas pumps, how the pump shuts off once the fuel level is high enough.

For electric charging, negotiation between the car and charge terminal tells the terminal when charging is complete.  The terminal has an electronic latch, and visual lock indicator, that can be disconnected by the car user or a charge terminal technician by authenticating appropriately (unlocking the car would be a simple way for the user to do this).  But the latch stops anyone else from disconnecting the car while it is charging.  And since charge speed decreases the closer you get to 100% charge, perhaps either the car owner or the terminal owner sets parameters for how close to 100% the car gets to charged before unlock happens.  Busy times and all terminals are under high demand?  Maybe you only get 80% charge.  Low demand lazy afternoon?  Go ahead and sit and charge to 100%.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2323 on: March 07, 2022, 06:27:26 PM »
Gas Buddy keeps timing out
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2324 on: March 07, 2022, 06:38:37 PM »

Even better, Brandon's Department of Energy said once again today that increasing US oil and gas production is not, and will not be, considered.

Damn it, I saw the headline earlier today and now I can't find it again.

I wonder how soon Brandon will come up with an fuel assistance program for the poor to help them pay their gasoline bills?

Oh, wait, he'll just give them electric cars. That will solve the problem.

CNN is already blaming no increase in production on the oil companies, not the administration that is doing everything it can to interfere.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!