Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 391733 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #2750 on: June 07, 2022, 08:33:04 AM »
July 2008 price of oil hit $147 a barrel and national average at the pump was around $4 per gallon.

Why is $120 barrel oil equating to near $5 per gallon pump prices?

Inflation impacts oil refiners as it does everyone else.  Their costs do not remain constant.  Neither does the significant regulatory burden they work under.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2751 on: June 07, 2022, 08:35:28 AM »
Up to $5.09 here in SW Ohio.  A gas station down the road still had it for $4.69 and the line was over a block long waiting to fill up.  Needless to say they emptied the stations tanks.  First sign of desperation here…

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2752 on: June 07, 2022, 09:18:21 AM »
90+% of the stations here still sitting at $4.99. The rest a little under.
Seems like no one wants to be first in town to go over the $5 mark.
Got a feeling once someone does go over the $5 mark it will open the flood gates
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 10:18:26 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2753 on: June 07, 2022, 10:13:26 AM »
Filled up with regular yesterday at a Texaco station for $4.49. The local Texaco station - always more expensive - had it for $4.69.

I haven't seen any of the "I DID THAT" Biden stickers on the pumps locally, but there was evidence that some pumps HAD been so adorned and the stickers had been (mostly) removed.

Diesel was over $5. Anyone know what furnace oil is going for? Years ago I talked to a guy who had a Mercedes diesel, and he used to run furnace oil in it - according to him, the car ran fine and it was a lot cheaper than diesel.

FJB
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2754 on: June 07, 2022, 10:28:20 AM »
Filled up with regular yesterday at a Texaco station for $4.49. The local Texaco station - always more expensive - had it for $4.69.

I haven't seen any of the "I DID THAT" Biden stickers on the pumps locally, but there was evidence that some pumps HAD been so adorned and the stickers had been (mostly) removed.

Diesel was over $5. Anyone know what furnace oil is going for? Years ago I talked to a guy who had a Mercedes diesel, and he used to run furnace oil in it - according to him, the car ran fine and it was a lot cheaper than diesel.

FJB

Fuel oil will about the same price as diesel minus the road use taxes.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2755 on: June 07, 2022, 11:13:36 AM »
Welp... I just got word that my employer wants me to move offices, which will make my daily commute about 5 times farther each day (about 4 miles round trip to 22 or so).

I'm not sure that I'm willing to do that.

So I think I'll be looking for a new job. Not sure if with my current company or with someone else.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2756 on: June 07, 2022, 11:29:32 AM »
Welp... I just got word that my employer wants me to move offices, which will make my daily commute about 5 times farther each day (about 4 miles round trip to 22 or so).

So I think I'll be looking for a new job. Not sure if with my current company or with someone else.

They seem to like doing that.
In 2018 I got moved to downtown Tulsa. I had been working out of an office 2 miles from my house for 13 years. The Tulsa office was 48 miles from home.
I went from taking 5 days to burn a gallon of gas to burning 5 gallons a day. And, there were people there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2757 on: June 07, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »
I've been work from home since the start of covid.  There are some impending changes at the company: I hope I'm not going to have to start going back into the office.  Too much fuel and time spent for no value realized.

I did some monkey math about my secondary evening teaching gig.  Teaching a full semester course will cost me over $200 in fuel at current prices.  The math still makes sense, but that's not a trivial cost of doing business.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2758 on: June 07, 2022, 11:35:41 AM »
Yep. Maybe it's time to seriously think about pulling up stakes, moving further south in Virginia to near my friends, and getting a remote job.

But, given the projects I'm working on right now, and the clearances I have, I literally cannot work from home.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2759 on: June 07, 2022, 11:36:49 AM »

That sucks - I know. During the tech melt down, my employer told me my permanent office was being moved from the main center to the plant, adding around 25 miles a day to my round trip commute. Since there were layoffs going on (tech meltdown, remember) as unhappy as I was, I decided to keep my mouth shut, since I was still going to have a permanent office - and a job. Stayed at that location around 5 years before I was able to transfer to another division and move back to the main center. (Where instead of being in a cube farm, I got an office with a door.  =D )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2760 on: June 07, 2022, 11:48:58 AM »
RBOB spot is creeping down a bit this morning. Closed yesterday at $4.19. Currently sitting at $4.06. I want to be optimistic that it's the beginning of a trend but reason tells me it's profit taking and the price will begin to tick back up by day's end.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2761 on: June 07, 2022, 12:09:56 PM »
RBOB spot is creeping down a bit this morning. Closed yesterday at $4.19. Currently sitting at $4.06. I want to be optimistic that it's the beginning of a trend but reason tells me it's profit taking and the price will begin to tick back up by day's end.

Brad

Oh please...

take a look at the performance over the past several months.

Every time there's a slight fall in crude, RBOB, or both, it's followed by a strong panic-monkey fueled price run up.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2762 on: June 07, 2022, 12:41:23 PM »
I turned down the regional director job since they were thinking that I would have to be in an office in downtown Seattle a minimum of three days per week, and the additional pay did not offset the 90 mile and four hour per day roundtrip commute.  I told them to talk to me again if it could be one day a week downtown and I would think about it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2763 on: June 07, 2022, 12:48:47 PM »

FJB

Furnace oil should be the same thing as off-road diesel (which would be fine to run other than the possibility of getting caught by DOT) and prices similarly but I’d be wary about the quality of it. Fresh diesel of either kind should be trustworthy to run.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2765 on: June 07, 2022, 04:10:15 PM »
https://abc13.com/houston-refinery-lyondellbasell-news-closing-in/11777968/

This ain't gonna help.

Doubtful that there is any replacement capacity coming online to offset that closure.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2766 on: June 07, 2022, 04:16:24 PM »
https://abc13.com/houston-refinery-lyondellbasell-news-closing-in/11777968/

This ain't gonna help.

Well, it is an established petroleum refinery, some existing refiner should snatch it up to increase their own refining capacity.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2767 on: June 07, 2022, 07:00:25 PM »
Sitting in the truck yesterday afternoon, taking my last break (@ 1535) before clocking out (@ 1600).  Looked at the Murphy stations' sign - $4.55.  Looked away for a few minutes, glanced at the sign as I was getting out of the truck - gas had jumped to $4.69.

The tank was reading 1/4 full.  Hit the $75 limit.  Ran the card again and put another $11.01 in the tank.

By being real careful with the throttle I've gotten the fuel mileage up to ~ 18.5mpg.  I'm pissing off a lot of people on the two lane road (1 each direction) I travel to/from work.  There are 3 places it's almost safe to pass, and the other travelers aren't liking the 45mph I usually drive nowadays.  But I can get 2 weeks out of a tank.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2768 on: June 07, 2022, 09:08:14 PM »
Basically, furnace diesel is the old regular diesel, before they messed with it. And if you can find #2 diesel, without all the "biodiesel" stuff, etc., fill up.
Blog under construction

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2769 on: June 07, 2022, 09:28:56 PM »
I'm both glad and hurt that my station doesn't have a $75 shutoff. Hitting over $100 sucks.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2770 on: June 08, 2022, 04:54:33 AM »
Well, it is an established petroleum refinery, some existing refiner should snatch it up to increase their own refining capacity.

I’m sure the feds will have some ridiculous regulatory burden in place to ensure that does not happen because that’s what Leviathan is good at.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2771 on: June 08, 2022, 06:38:46 AM »
Just had a talk with my boss. She said she's going to have a chat with our PM and tell him that she has no problems with me staying in my current office and that it would be "in the program's best interests" to not pull me to the new building. That would be very cool if he agrees to it. If not, that's when I seriously look at leaving the program.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2772 on: June 08, 2022, 08:17:23 AM »
I’m sure the feds will have some ridiculous regulatory burden in place to ensure that does not happen because that’s what Leviathan is good at.

The refinery should be current in all the permits, I'm not sure the fed process on change of ownership with an active permit related to oil.

In the work I do for the EPA in my niche area, it's just a matter of submitting a few pages of paperwork to explain the change of ownership.

I'm guessing it's an old refinery that is probably years behind on necessary maintenance or upgrades. Other words, all the goody is gone out of it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2773 on: June 08, 2022, 08:19:04 AM »
I'm guessing it's an old refinery that is probably years behind on necessary maintenance or upgrades. Other words, all the goody is gone out of it.
That's my guess too.  If it were profitable to run (especially at today's prices) the company that owns it would probably be trying to keep it operational.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2774 on: June 08, 2022, 08:20:44 AM »
The refinery should be current in all the permits,

DC: Be a shame if some new regulations suddenly appeared. hahahahahaha
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes