Author Topic: Bundy back in court  (Read 822 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Bundy back in court
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »
How Nevada law on cows and fences? Or does he recognize state laws?
http://m.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/state-faults-cliven-bundy-i-15-cow-crash
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Bundy back in court
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
If the article is correct about the state maintaining right-of-way fencing then the state is responsible for the condition of said fencing. At least that's the way it should be.

The "it's our fence but your cattle" seems a patent Catch 22 scenario. Ranchers around the country are all too familiar with this type of regulatory schizophrenia. They will be watching the case closely.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:09:35 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:14:17 PM »
Cows were 10 miles from the ranch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:15:02 PM »
And not abiding by court rulings is a family tradition sadly

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:51:25 PM »
Montana is open range so the motorist is always liable for hitting livestock, except I think on the interstate.

Rule is to fence cows and horses out, including roads.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »
Nevada law was not easy for me to decipher

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Cows were 10 miles from the ranch

Irrelevant. They coulld have been in downtown Las Vegas and it wouldn't matter. The issue is who is responsible for maintaining the fence.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 04:25:29 PM »
That's the tricky part under nevada law. It allows free range use under license as well as some sorta "customary or established use" . It seems to bounce back and forth saying you can't do this, unless

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 05:01:40 PM »
The devil is in the details:

To reach the interstate from Bundy’s 160-acre ranch along the Virgin River, his cattle must cross miles of federal land for which the rancher holds no valid grazing permits. Twice since 1998 a federal judge has ordered Bundy to remove livestock from government range or risk having them impounded.

So when they say the cattle were ten miles from his ranch, they are referring to the postage stamp sized parcel that he actually owns. If you look at the "customary" aspect, the cattle were grazing on federal land, where he has been grazing them for many years. I don't know about Nevada, but after some kids were killed on a 4-lane divided state highway here a couple of years ago, the state repaired the fence that was put there to keep people and critters off the roadway. I suspect the court is going to have no choice other than to side with Bundy on this one. For the state to say, 'We built the road and we built the fence, but it's up to you to maintain it" is ridiculous.

If Bundy has a smart lawyer, he'll subpoene the state's deprtment of transportation records for the past ten years or so and scour them to see if the state has repaired any other bits of fence along the Interstate. If so ... their argument goes right out the window.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design