Author Topic: Southern Baptists are encouraged to hold the line on gays  (Read 17079 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Southern Baptists are encouraged to hold the line on gays
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2014, 08:45:50 AM »
I used Paul's letter in my wedding
Had a bimbo get all bent about using Paul the misogynist
I counseled her kindly and thanked her for her input

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »
The way I remember hearing it, submission was thought to be not the best word choice as it seems to have slavery or other connotations.  "Under the authority of" or something similar was thought to be better.  The man is supposed to be the leader of the family, not the dictator.  And yeah, there is all sorts of other stuff about responsibilities in marriage.  I guess I need to go study all that again.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2014, 09:51:50 AM »
I think you got the true meaning pretty well
I think when Paul tells men how they should love their wives he sets the stage for a balanced devoted relationship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »
The words "submit" and "submission" are fine.  No need to shade it for the pinheads as it is contemporary readers with the problem.

Both men and women submit to authority all the time and to a multitude of authorities throughout their lives.  My wife told our children to get ready for school this morning.  They did so and in so doing submitted to her authority.  If I heeded the speed limit coming in to work, I submitted to the authority of the state.  Somehow it becomes misogyny when the Bible talks about family relations.  God seems to be more worried about orderly run families and nations being kept together than stroking some hyper-sensitive pre-harridan's self esteem.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2014, 06:53:24 PM »
I'm sure we have all known the guy who spouts off about submissive wives and how he is the leader of his household.

Then after you get to know or observe the family you see the same compromises being made as well as sharing of responsibilities that healthy couples all learn to make.

For some reason the rhetoric of submission is important to support except when it comes to the practical running of a household   :rofl:

We're to wash each others feet (metaphorically). Submit and serve one another. Use common sense in the division of labor and responsibilities yet be flexible.

How the haters construe that as patriarchy and oppression is a mystery to me.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

• friends
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2014, 06:55:12 PM »
I can solve the mystery

They need a hook to hang their own failures in relationships on. And it needs be someone elses fault

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »
Words can have both an absolute or relative meaning depending on the context.  As someone in the building trades, you look at the word 'unionized' and think of someone belonging to a union.  As a former chemist, I look at the word 'unionized' and I think of something that is not ionized.  Who is correct?  What is, to quote one of your favorite words, orthodoxy?

Oh ffs...

Your example would be like one chemist seeing "unionized" and thinking of something that is not ionized, and another chemist using the same word to mean there is no such thing as ionization. This is not a contextual difference, where two different concepts are described using the same word, and it's beyond intellectually dishonest to pretend it is.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.