Author Topic: South Carolina apprenticeship system.  (Read 1378 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: South Carolina apprenticeship system.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »
This is something South Carolina desperately needs. Money and manufacturing capital is pouring into the state but there is comparatively little skilled labor here to meet it. A large portion of the high paying jobs in management and high tech are going to out of staters moving here for that purpose. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, business is business, but anything to get natives more involved is excellent in my book.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 10:35:01 AM »
This is something South Carolina desperately needs. Money and manufacturing capital is pouring into the state but there is comparatively little skilled labor here to meet it. A large portion of the high paying jobs in management and high tech are going to out of staters moving here for that purpose. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, business is business, but anything to get natives more involved is excellent in my book.

It is needed in a lot more places than SC. If could implemented nationwide, then the young people with hands on skills could have that choice for a career move instead of thinking they need to spend money on a college education or a trade school.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »
It is needed in a lot more places than SC. If could implemented nationwide, then the young people with hands on skills could have that choice for a career move instead of thinking they need to spend money on a college education or a trade school.

I agree completely. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »
Unions would fight it unless they control the program

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »

Actually our main problem here is that kids aren't finishing high school and are going on welfare or just working very low paying jobs.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: South Carolina apprenticeship system.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 07:53:43 AM »
1.  This is an encouraging development.

2. They write about juniors in high school learning and working the factory floor.  Young folk will surprise you if you insist they act like adults.  And then treat them so.  The army and usmc have known this for a long time.

3. Not all kids who dont want or are not suited to college are dumb.  And we need smart folk at every levels in the economy.  My auto mechanic never went to college but he is sharp and can solve an unfamiliar problem quickly.  And run a business.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
I am still angry that the state thinks (even if correctly) that it needs to create an incentive program like this to get companies to do the logical thing. What next, state incentive programs to get companies to optimize their inventory?

I have seen this in action: While we are spending ages trying to find the perfect educated resume match professional candidates, who guess what, may very well walk off when they find a better opportunity anyway, we could hire 3 high school students right now, for the same money, to relieve the workload of experienced staff, and just fire the ones that don't work out. If they all work out, we still save on labor.

Why are HR departments and hiring managers so terrified of training? I think they are overly afraid to train, identify talent, reward talent, and fire people, i.e. do their job, so that they overreact by trying to hire this perfect candidate that is guaranteed to work out. They see their role being purely as candidate-matching, and none of those other yucky things.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:31:07 AM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 08:21:23 AM »
I am still angry that the state thinks (even if correctly) that it needs to create an incentive program like this to get companies to do the logical thing. What next, state incentive programs to get companies to optimize their

I have seen this in action: While we are spending ages trying to find the perfect educated resume match professional candidates, who guess what, may very well walk off when they find a better opportunity anyway, we could hire 3 high school students right now, for the same money, to relieve the workload of experienced staff, and just fire the ones that don't work out. If they all work out, we still save on labor.

Why are HR departments and hiring managers so terrified of training? I think they are overly afraid to train, identify talent, reward talent, and fire people, i.e. do their job, so that they overreact by trying to hire this perfect candidate that is guaranteed to work out. They see their role being purely as candidate-matching, and none of those other yucky things.

When it comes to hiring useful folk, HR is useless as teats on a boar hog.  HR is good for only filling out the right paperwork after someone else finds decent candidates.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »
I am still angry that the state thinks (even if correctly) that it needs to create an incentive program like this to get companies to do the logical thing. What next, state incentive programs to get companies to optimize their inventory?

HR departments are typically good at one thing and one thing only...finding excuses as to why they can't hire/fire. Instead of HR departments doing the hiring/firing they need to let supervisors do it and back them up. The only good HR department I've ever seen is the one at my current job, it's one person, she's a hyperactive Amazon blonde, she gets *expletive deleted*it DONE.

Many companies have apprenticeship programs but the real issue seems to be advertising it. You simply don't here much about it until you are either in a trade school program related to the field or you happen to notice an apprenticeship program on the company's Careers/Employment section of the website (which is how I found out about the program I am in). SC's program is designed more to help push that along.

If the word can be spread beyond those already on the career path or looking for that career, you'll see a lot more interest, I think. This is what Mike Rowe is doing. He's getting the word out to the general population.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »
BMW saw a problem and had a fix right at hand and it seems to be working.

Boeing sees the same problem and has yet to make any progress in fixing it.  I can easily see a union getting into SC under the guise of operating an apprenticeship program.  Stay out of politics and focus on snuffing up the labor force and perhaps public perception of unions will change.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »
Unions would fight it unless they control the program

. . . and they will fight tooth and nail to do so, even if it means killing the program in the process.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »
Great program. Hurr durr get yer gubmint outta ma murkets etc, it's what a $1000 per year per apprentice tax break (11k folks in the program) and is actually doing a huge amount of good. Well done South Carolina.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 07:57:13 PM »
When it comes to hiring useful folk, HR is useless as teats on a boar hog.  HR is good for only filling out the right paperwork after someone else finds decent candidates.
IMO, HR people know nothing about the jobs they are finding people for.  Why would you want them to hire or pick the people?  Good managers/supervisors make that decision.  HR just sets it all up. 

On firing, HR should be training managers on what steps they need to take to fire or discipline employees without lawsuit risk.  It isn't that complicated. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Re: South Carolina apprenticeship system.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »
1.  This is an encouraging development.

2. They write about juniors in high school learning and working the factory floor.  Young folk will surprise you if you insist they act like adults.  And then treat them so.  The army and usmc have known this for a long time.

3. Not all kids who dont want or are not suited to college are dumb.  And we need smart folk at every levels in the economy.  My auto mechanic never went to college but he is sharp and can solve an unfamiliar problem quickly.  And run a business.
Another point is that lots of people are not suited for desk jobs.  Some people will be a lot happier doing something with their hands or building something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »
You all seem very confused as to the purpose of an HR Dept.

Its job is not to find, hire and fire people.  Its job is to prevent the company from being sued.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »
You all seem very confused as to the purpose of an HR Dept.

Its job is not to find, hire and fire people.  Its job is to prevent the company from being sued.

You beat me to it, as much as I detest how long HR takes at my job, I don't have to go to court because I made an improper decision.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536