Author Topic: Camry broke down  (Read 6396 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Camry broke down
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 10:57:11 AM »
There are 3 belts on the Camry.  The timing belt, of course.  And then another that runs the alternator and A/C compressor, and a separate one for the power steering.  The power steering belt is brand new.  That was going to be replaced back in the summer when I did the alternator belt due to a squeal on start up but getting to it required more work than I had the time for right then.  Plus I'd figured I was going to change the timing belt in December and the power steering belt has to come for that anyway so might as well do them at the same time.

I did replace the timing belt's idler and tensioner pulleys.   
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2014, 11:34:55 AM »
Interesting to see a dual-belt accessory drive. Not very common these days. Is power steering belt on a tensioner or do you tension it manually?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2014, 12:50:12 AM »
Interesting to see a dual-belt accessory drive. Not very common these days. Is power steering belt on a tensioner or do you tension it manually?

Brad

Manual.  Used the the ratchet handle to add tension while I tightened with a ratcheting combination wrench.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2014, 10:34:07 AM »
What is the recommended deflection? I've never manually adjusted a serpentine belt.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
No idea.  I just put as much tension as I could given the awkardness of the operation.
Formerly sumpnz