Author Topic: Graph: the public is getting smarter about guns  (Read 1538 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Graph: the public is getting smarter about guns
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 12:37:20 PM »
My BIL is about as liberal Dem as they come, and he floored me recently by saying he thinks people sould be able to get a revolver  and a shotgun to keep at home for protection, and indicated he would like me to help him find a revolver when I visit at Christmas.

Seems to me like more people are viewing firearms as we have preached for years...they are tools.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And damn useful when you need one.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 07:01:04 AM »
My BIL is about as liberal Dem as they come, and he floored me recently by saying he thinks people sould be able to get a revolver  and a shotgun to keep at home for protection, and indicated he would like me to help him find a revolver when I visit at Christmas.

Seems to me like more people are viewing firearms as we have preached for years...they are tools.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And damn useful when you need one.

Hope you insisted on him also getting the training.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:09:31 AM »
Hope you insisted on him also getting the training.

Only way I'll help him with the purchase.   ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 01:50:32 PM »
Well, at least it is a start.  Once he believes that for a little while, the shrill ramblings of the radical gun control people will ring false even more.

On the OP:
I think the gun control people have gotten more and more radical over the last 20 years even as crime statistics continue to prove them wrong.  Back in the early 90's, the "common sense" gun control message made more sense to many people.  When the AWB pass and then went away with no real effect, it said a lot to anyone paying attention.  Current trends also continue to show that crime is worse in areas with heavy gun control and improving in areas without it. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 12:27:14 AM »
I think the gun control people have gotten more and more radical over the last 20 years even as crime statistics continue to prove them wrong.  Back in the early 90's, the "common sense" gun control message made more sense to many people. 

The gun controllers have gotten less radical, at least in what they openly attempt. They used to call for handgun bans, and now they just try to limit access through ammo taxes and expanded background checks for the handguns they have to let us own AND carry. They once achieved a national scary guns ban, and they know that's no longer feasible.

Current trends also continue to show that crime is worse in areas with heavy gun control and improving in areas without it. 

I thought it was improving pretty much everywhere - even Chicago.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife