Author Topic: 911 Caller shot by police during manhunt  (Read 2913 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
911 Caller shot by police during manhunt
« on: November 17, 2014, 12:05:32 AM »
I am not even sure where to start this one. Just too many questions from the article.

Police mistakenly shoot 911 caller during manhunt

A man who called 911 to report that he had seen a shooting suspect was mistakenly shot by responding law enforcement officers on October 31, Vancouver police said Tuesday.

The man had told police that he spotted 59-year-old John Kendall in the 700 block of Northeast Blanford Drive. A manhunt was under way at the time for Kendall, who deputies said had shot his neighbor earlier that morning.

Background: Suspect dead, two injured in Vancouver shootings

Investigators then confirmed Kendall's cell phone was in the immediate area according to the Vancouver Police Department.

A SWAT team arriving at the scene spotted a man who matched Kendall's description. They were unaware that the citizen who called 911 was still there.

"Law enforcement personnel watched as the citizen (believed to be Kendall) exited his vehicle and circled behind his trunk," police explained. "Fearing that he armed himself, law enforcement fired multiple shots at the individual in order to stop the perceived threat before the citizen could enter the woods."

The man was shot in the leg. He took cover behind a gravel pile and fired a shot back, then he called 911 again, this time to report that he had been shot.

The cops were shooting a perceived threat?!?!?!

I sure would like to hear all of the 911 traffic on this one.

I know if I shoot a perceived threat I won't be placed on administrative leave, I will be locked up. If I can't articulate (prove) a threat existed to me at that time it will be all over for me.

bob

http://www.nwcn.com/story/news/local/vancouver/2014/11/11/police-mistakenly-shoot-911-caller-after-he-reports-seeing-suspect/18885169/

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: 911 Caller shot by police during manhunt
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:33:08 AM »
Served and protected his ass right good and proper there.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:10:10 AM »
Served and protected the CRAP out of him!
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:15:58 AM »
Some animals.........  It's getting old. But I think the public just might be waking up and if so, healing a rift is not on the menu.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 08:26:08 AM »
I wonder what they will charge the 911 caller with?  No doubt a good opportunity to save face for the popo.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
I wonder what they will charge the 911 caller with?  No doubt a good opportunity to save face for the popo.

"Impersonating a suspect."

"Obstructing an officer."

Gotta be more -- you just need to be creative.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

castle key

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 09:18:10 AM »
But they went home at the end of the shift, right?

Is it needed to note sarcasm?
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »
The man was shot in the leg. He took cover behind a gravel pile and fired a shot back, then he called 911 again, this time to report that he had been shot.

So the victim was armed?
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 09:28:17 AM »

A couple of easy ones would be, discharge of a firearm within city limits and assault with a deadly weapon. He did after all return fire once shot.  =|  ;)

bob

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »
Sure hope he can prove he didn't know it was the police shooting at him and he is damn lucky he didn't shoot one of the officers.  More than likely he would have been shot more than just the one time.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 11:02:19 AM »
Sure hope he can prove he didn't know it was the police shooting at him and he is damn lucky he didn't shoot one of the officers.  More than likely he would have been shot more than just the one time.

I would say the cops are lucky he didn't shoot one of them, and he's lucky they didn't execute him (whether he hit anybody or not)

The lesson from all this is don't get involved -- he never should have called 911 in the first place.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 05:53:08 PM »
I would say the cops are lucky he didn't shoot one of them, and he's lucky they didn't execute him (whether he hit anybody or not)

The lesson from all this is don't get involved -- he never should have called 911 in the first place.

My thoughts also and that my friends is where the police state ends up leading.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 07:27:12 PM »
Snitches get stitches bullet wounds.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 10:54:54 AM »
Which is why I no longer respond to the call I get from my neighbors alarm company. I do not want to be walking around his place at night checking doors etc when the police may show up- even if they know I will be there, there is way too much risk of some stupid mistake.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how he survived taking a shot at the po-lice.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how he survived taking a shot at the po-lice.

They fired all the ammo they had and (mostly) missed?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »
sad, but the police all went home safe and sound.  Right?  That is all that really counts.  Eh?   ;/