Author Topic: Keystone XL pipeline once again voted down in Senate  (Read 3015 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Keystone XL pipeline once again voted down in Senate
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/18/senate-backers-keystone-pipeline-scramble-for-last-vote/

I wonder if the R's will be able to push this through next session?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Keystone XL pipeline once again voted down in Senate
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/18/senate-backers-keystone-pipeline-scramble-for-last-vote/

I wonder if the R's will be able to push this through next session?

I think it's more likely they stay spineless
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »
I think it's more likely they stay spineless

Reinstating Boehner* as Speaker does not bode well for even attempting to get a damned thing of importance done.

*Firefox wants to correct it to Boner  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:10:50 PM »
Obama will veto Keystone XL this January or February.

There were 59 votes in the Senate this time around. Next time there will be many more than that in the Senate.

The House has passed a Keystone XL bill something like 6 times already :)

Even still, I agree with Boomhauer, Boehner has a lot of downsides. I'm not real optimistic that very many bills of substance will get passed.  I expect symbolic bs and bills that sell out the base.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »
Even still, I agree with Boomhauer, Boehner has a lot of downsides. I'm not real optimistic that very many bills of substance will get passed.  I expect symbolic bs and bills that sell out the base

Because we gotta have BIPARTISANSHIP!!!!! Reach across the aisle!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 09:17:59 PM »
Because we gotta have BIPARTISANSHIP!!!!! Reach around the aisle!

Fixed!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
Keystone Pipeline is going to happen, just a matter of time and the right political alignment.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 10:42:24 PM »
Keystone Pipeline is going to happen, just a matter of time and the right political alignment.

Canada may/probably will just say "Screw you guys", and build the EnergyEast pipeline.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_East_pipeline

So thanks to the D's all those pipeline jobs, and then the follow on refinery (and refinery expansion) jobs will stay in Canada.  Nice "Laser Focus" on creating jobs there POTUS.  :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 01:52:08 AM »
The only upside is it might drive a stake in Landrieu's senate career.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 03:55:32 AM »
Because we gotta have BIPARTISANSHIP!!!!! Reach across the aisle!

I misread that as "Reich around the aisle".
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 08:29:44 AM »
Reinstating Boehner* as Speaker does not bode well for even attempting to get a damned thing of importance done.

*Firefox wants to correct it to Boner  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

??? That's the way it's pronounced, isn't it?     ???

Well, that's the way I pronounce it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/harper-oks-potentially-unconstitutional-china-canada-fipa-deal-coming-force-october-1

Can't blame Canada if they start selling the oil to China. Given how long we our government has been spitting in their faces, I've been more than impressed with their patience.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »
Can't blame Canada if they start selling the oil to China. Given how long we our government has been spitting in their faces, I've been more than impressed with their patience.
Obama's been doing a good job of spitting in the faces of your long-term allies, hasn't he. That damage can take a long time to repair, if it's even repairable at all. I wonder if there's a hidden purpose to this? [tinfoil]
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »
When did it start taking 60 votes to pass a bill in the Senate? Is that because any bill with less than 60 is deemed to be "filibustered" without actually having the opponent stand and talk continuously?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 10:07:11 AM »
Obama's been doing a good job of spitting in the faces of your long-term allies, hasn't he. That damage can take a long time to repair, if it's even repairable at all. I wonder if there's a hidden purpose to this? [tinfoil]

Just a general antipathy for Western Civ and America in general. For all their misdeeds, I believe every president we've had before Obama had at least one thing in common, they actually liked their country.

In terms of his broad ideology, he's among the set that feels the U.S. and Western Civ in general is "the problem" and not "the solution". Despite his real father probably being Frank Marshall Davis (look up photo comparisons...) he was strongly influenced by his ersatz father Obama Sr. and his "anti-colonial" ideology, that everything in the world would be sweetness and light if it weren't for England, Europe, and the U.S.

Then add to that as his time as an expat "American" in Indonesia with his mother and step father Barry Sotero, where he lived as a sort of rootless "in-betweener" apart from the other American and British oil company families. That was because Lolo Soetero was Indonesian, which made him lower than the white/Anglo/American petroleum engineers and executives, but still much higher status than the other native Indonesians because he was a petroleum engineer.  Remember, Indonesia wasn't the cosmopolitan place it is now with the enormous skyline etc.

After coasting through college as the "foreign" Barry Soetero where he didn't have to produce much work, pay tuition, and got social promotions to graduation, and then law school, where he did much the same, (The probable real reasons for the irregularities with his birth certificate not the "birther" reasons) he fell in with Chicago's hyper-Left crowd, worked for ACORN, and was palling around with Bill Ayers of the former Weathermen bombers, and "God Damn America" Rev. Wright's black liberation ideology church.

Fortunately for America, because of his constant social promotion through school, probable "broken family guilt" on the part of his mother, and grandparents (also figures in the American Communist Party) who raised him in Hawaii, and being a "well spoken" black man who didn't "act black" making him a perfect person for the tokenism of early Affirmative Action in 1970's and 1980's America, he's a lazy incompetent dilettante who's more attracted to the status and creature comforts of high office, than he is the actual furtherance of his ideology.

So in reality, America's been spared. Because a man in his position with drive, motivation, more ambition, and some self-discipline/competence would be a real disaster, instead of what we've got now.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:13:44 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »
When did it start taking 60 votes to pass a bill in the Senate? Is that because any bill with less than 60 is deemed to be "filibustered" without actually having the opponent stand and talk continuously?

I was curious about this also.

Sad thing is as pointed out in other places, without the pipeline a lot of other products aren't moving because trucks and trains are tied up moving oil instead of grain for example.  So another reason food prices and consumer goods prices continue to rise.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 11:00:34 AM »
Obama will veto Keystone XL this January or February.

Vetoing something like that is a political platinum mine for Republicans; it allows a steady stream of "we did all we could, but the President shut it down, and the other Democrats wouldn't help us overrule him" campaign fodder.  That helps lock in and strengthen the R majorities in Congress next election, and will mean that the next D Presidential candidate must create distance from Obama to have a chance.  (IOW, anybody who has held a post appointed by him loses ground for future elections.  You know who I mean here.)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 11:15:40 AM »

This.

I've caught interviews with their various Ministers over the last year practically begging and pleading the US to do this so they don't have to go somewhere else. They've bent over backwards for us and I don't blame them one bit for throwing in the towel and investigating alternatives.

At this point I predict they'll start shuttling the oil elsewhere and even if Keystone gets passed, it will be bringing in much less oil because Canada will have made other commitments. Of course then the enviros will use that as an opportunity to say, "See, you created all this infrastructure and aren't even getting the amounts of oil you said you would."

in the meantime, I guess Warren Buffett is laughing all the way to the bank with his profits from the Canadian oil that already comes in via less environmentally friendly rail.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 01:25:46 PM »
AJ, you should polish up that post a bit and submit it to townhall.com as a mini-column.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 04:22:47 PM »
It takes 60 votes in the Senate for Cloture.  To end debate.  SO you don't really have to filibuster, the debating of the bill simply doesn't end, the bill gets tabled to continue debate later.  Although later may never come.

Now 14 D's sided with all the R's.  If you figure that Landrieau is a dead woman walking, that gives the R's 54 votes.    If at least 12 of the D's that voted for it will  be in the new Congress that would give it at least the 66 votes to over a veto in Senate.

It passed 241-175 in the House.  That was with 233 R's.  Right now there are 244 R's with probably of 3 more winning their run-offs/recounts. 

It would need 287 votes in the House to over-ride.  So you'd need 40 D's to abandon Obama.  Not outside the realm of possibility.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 06:37:21 PM »
Not outside the realm of possibility, but difficult. Bush had 12 vetoes, with 4 overridden by a Democrat-controlled House and Senate. Clinton had 37 vetoes with 2 overridden.  Bush 41 had 1 out of 44.

Dem's who favor the pipeline will mostly vote to sustain the veto. AJ, Strings, I and others who got an inside look at the veto process in Madison learned the hard way that it's all a game.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 07:23:16 PM »
Dem's who favor the pipeline will mostly vote to sustain the veto. AJ, Strings, I and others who got an inside look at the veto process in Madison learned the hard way that it's all a game.

Sustaining such an unpopular veto would be political suicide for any but the ones with the most solid blue voter bases.  The way Obama's been losing favor, standing with him on this would pretty much kill any hope of picking up swing voters.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
Sustaining such an unpopular veto would be political suicide for any but the ones with the most solid blue voter bases.  The way Obama's been losing favor, standing with him on this would pretty much kill any hope of picking up swing voters.

You'd think so. We thought that, too, when we had the votes of Democrats from heavily pro-gun districts, in the state with more NRA members per capital than anywhere else. Then we had a Democrat who was a co-sponsor of the bill flip and vote with his governor. Next session we had two Democrats who'd voted to override in the previous session change their minds and stick with the governor. In all three cases, it hurt them politically, but they still won re-election.

I know Madison is not Washington, but I doubt that politics works much differently. I wouldn't be surprised if they've already decided which Democrats can vote to override next year, and which ones will flip.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 10:10:09 PM »
So in reality, America's been spared. Because a man in his position with drive, motivation, more ambition, and some self-discipline/competence would be a real disaster, instead of what we've got now.

So what we have now is only an imitation disaster?

Pretty credible imitation if you ask me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design